Official buying advice thread

It would be extremely helpful if you gave some basic information like your playing level, budget, what other equipment you have, etc. Without that this is like throwing darts blindfolded.

hmm well im advanced i guess. Ive been playing 3 years now but I practice at least 3 hours a day so im pretty good. I mostly play death metal (Nile) and my budget is <1500

Ok.
Why don't you just get a schecter or a dean or a les paul? It'll look fine (none of the death metal bands I've seen have bothered to play shitty guitars that look really metal (all of BCR's stuff I've encountered was absolute shit, although I imagine their high end stuff is decent) and play well. The sound on those guitars will be equally brutal to the sound on some pointy-ass piece of crap once you do two things: 1, swap in high output pickups and 2, drop the strings, probably to C or lower. That'd make a strat sound heavy. Amon Amarth, for example, have a great (and quite heavy) guitar tone; they play Les Pauls in A or B (can't remember) with Seymour Duncans (invaders I think).

well dean has some nice guitars so ill get one of those.
I already have a gibson and i HATE bc rich cus they sound horrible

Personally I find Deans incredibly unattractive but soundwise they're fine, and soundwise anything you get'll sound fine with a good amp and some sweet pickups (many death metal guys use Seymour Duncan Invaders).

razorbacks are becoming a cliche ahah
i like the rounded off one though

Edit: the ML XM
also wahts better invaders or blackouts?

Blackouts are higher output a bit iirc. Both will sound pretty fucking metal. Everything I've read on blackouts says they're really beastly but very organic sounding and with good cleans. I'd go with them (planning on replacing my EMGs with them actually) but either will serve admirably.

K, in the market for a new guitar. Not exactly amazing guitarist, been playing for 6 months or so. Budget of about $500, give or take a few hundred. Looking for a new guitar, except I'm left handed, which is a bitch. Would buying something like a righty V and restringing it be alright?

taking a righty guitar and flipping it isnt a good idea. the balance will be seriously messed up. and it simply wont work on a V.

looking at the price range for lefty guitars, i dont see anything i would really reccomend. but the schecter omen is probably the closest.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...-6-2003-LeftHanded-Electric-Guitar?sku=518182

if you can go just a little higher, check out the schecter C1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...Edition-LeftHanded-Electric-Guitar?sku=516751

or the godin exit 22
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Exit-22-LeftHanded-Electric-Guitar?sku=511923
~gR~

K, in the market for a new guitar. Not exactly amazing guitarist, been playing for 6 months or so. Budget of about $500, give or take a few hundred. Looking for a new guitar, except I'm left handed, which is a bitch. Would buying something like a righty V and restringing it be alright?

Learn to play right handed guitars. Since guitar playing is inherently ambidextrous, this will simply mean that your fretting hand will be stronger than your picking hand at first.

yeah, i always wondered why your dominant hand was your picking hand. i would think you want your dominant hand in control of all the dexterity up in the fretboard.
~gR~

I've played the righty version of this. I recommend this. In a couple years you'll want to upgrade but this is a good buy.

yeah, i always wondered why your dominant hand was your picking hand. i would think you want your dominant hand in control of all the dexterity up in the fretboard.
~gR~
I think picking actually requires more coordination/dexterity. For one thing, you have less sensory feedback - your left hand feels the strings and the frets and so it's easier to know where it is, but the right hand has to be where it's supposed to be because you won't know where it is till you play a note.
Dunno if I'm making sense here.

Alright so anyone know anything about bass preamps? I decided after looking at the outrageous prices of high-power bass amps that the whole power amp/preamp is more practical and ideal for me. I'm thinking of getting a used one because many of those that interest me are no longer manufactured.

Here are the preamps I'm considering:
- Eden navigator ($400-600 used, as opposed to a $1600 Eden World Tour 800)
- Peavey MAX ($150-250 used)
- Aguilar DB680 ($400-600 used)
- Demeter VTBP-201 ($200-400 used)

Anyone ever played with any of these?