Official buying advice thread

So I'd like to get new pickups to go with my new preamp. I'm thinking of getting Lace Alumitones, they seem unique and highly powerful for a passive pickup, which would be perfect for my Audere preamp, whose manufacturer suggests that I stick with passive pickups. Anyone have any suggestions as to better pickups I could get for a similar price ($200 for a set)?

I'm in the market for a bass, I've narrowed it down to three choices, I've read countless reviews for these and they all seem to be pretty good, I'm just asking for your input...

Option 1:

Dean Meatlman 2A Demonator
496814.jpg

Specs:
Mahogany body
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Red chainsaw inlays
Skull ruby eye knobs
34" scale
Die-cast tuners
Chrome Hardware
Dual pickup 2-band electronics
22 frets

Option 2: This has the added benefit of matching my guitar.

Dean Metalman 2A ML
497253.jpg

Specs:
Basswood body
Low profile maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Red chainsaw inlays
Skull ruby eye knobs
Bolt-on neck construction
Dual pickup-2 band active electronics
Machined tailpiece
Sealed die-cast tuners

Option 3: The one I'm leaning the most towards.

Ibanez BTB200
307591.jpg

Specs:
BTB4 neck
Mahogany body
3-piece maple neck
24 medium frets
Rosewood fingerboard
B100 bridge
DX-4N neck pu
DX-4B bridge pu
Pearl dot inlay
Black chrome hardware
PHAT II EQ

Which would you choose?

What's your budget? There are far better-sounding basses you could be getting.

I'd like to keep it near the lower end of the $300 range, I'm new to bass so I'd like to keep it relatively low, but have a somewhat decent bass, the BTB is about as high as I can go (at $350 before sales tax).

Here it goes.

Ok, so Chuck Schuldiner's my favorite guitarist, and I heard that he used only 1 DiMarzio X2N pickup by the bridge. Anyone recommend this??

By the way, I'm using a BC Rich Bronze Warlock, but I'm trying to get a better Warlock.

Well, I knew that, but do you think it's a good buy, even for a Bronze Warlock?? I am thinking of getting a Mockingbird, which I also think he had.

To be honest, the bronze warlock is made out of the crappiest woods BC Rich can find that will hold a guitar shape. It isn't going to sound very good no matter what pickup you put in there.

Save the money you'd spend on a new pickup, and put that toward a new guitar. The NJ Deluxe line from BC Rich is excellent, for around $700 you can have a well made and great sounding guitar with hardware that's typically only found on $1000+ guitars.

I think I saw that guitar was something like $3500 which is an epic fucking rip off.

the ed roman version is waaaaaaaay over priced.

To be honest, the bronze warlock is made out of the crappiest woods BC Rich can find that will hold a guitar shape. It isn't going to sound very good no matter what pickup you put in there.

Save the money you'd spend on a new pickup, and put that toward a new guitar. The NJ Deluxe line from BC Rich is excellent, for around $700 you can have a well made and great sounding guitar with hardware that's typically only found on $1000+ guitars.

if you get a bc rich, it needs to be a nj series. and even then they are iffy. i had a nj warlock bass and i had major neck dive issues
~gR~

You know what, I'm actually going to get a newer guitar instead, thanks for the tip.

Thing is, I'm not in a band, I'm on a budget (By that I mean no job, 15 y/o) and have been playing for only more than a year now. So I'm thinking of getting a Mockingbird or something.

EDIT: OK, someone tell me. Which is the best "cheap" BC Rich??

http://www.activemusician.com/item--BC.MMVTF?ref=fg&ovchn=SCU&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=B.C.+Rich+Metal+Master+KKV+Electric+Guitar+-+Tribal+Fire - $259.00

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.beyondeleven.com/ProductDetails.asp%3FProductCode%3DBC-Rich-Ironbird-Black-IB1O&fr=ABmrs7-wyNGRArUrt1KJgZg7P9fwOzcZK5jLaw_ElNZPBqmPCyiBa_bOCWgVX-Ga8ZjzYu2e80s_lLEMIrDB-r2M_QTFDRsb2pHuRIZkNN21Cbpd92WniXCwG1N5BewnWF_i4Xw60tOOjCN9IKocWC2BgJVsdR_MfpWu4uvaRGoLkvq4Y47gLHIL7QYGQmOmEQAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title - $299.99

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Avenge-SOB-Electric-Guitar?sku=512676 - $249.99

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Warbeast-Guitar-Electric-Guitar?sku=512674 - $249.99

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Metal-Master-Warlock?sku=512675 - $249.99

if youre on a budget, i would seriously forget about bc rich. or really, forget about them all together.

that being said, theyre all about the same. the only difference between them would be balance. go find some and play them. the beast might be the most balanced, because of its size at the body.
~gR~

if you get a bc rich, it needs to be a nj series. and even then they are iffy. i had a nj warlock bass and i had major neck dive issues
~gR~

Have you played the NJ Deluxe and the nicer ASMs they came out with last year? GREAT guitars. The cheaper BC Richs are pretty shitty, but I wouldn't mind rocking the NJ Deluxe.

You know what, I'm actually going to get a newer guitar instead, thanks for the tip.

Thing is, I'm not in a band, I'm on a budget (By that I mean no job, 15 y/o) and have been playing for only more than a year now. So I'm thinking of getting a Mockingbird or something.

EDIT: OK, someone tell me. Which is the best "cheap" BC Rich??

They are all cheap shit, and won't be any improvement over what you have now.

You're not in a band, only been playing for a year... So what's the rush to upgrade? Stick with what you've got, save up the $5-600 necessary to get a decent instrument, and starting looking at the used market. You can get a GOOD guitar ( LTD 400 series, BC Rich NJ Deluxe, higher end Agiles, higher end Schecter, used 90's ESPs ) for around $500 used if you don't mind looking for deals.

Have you played the NJ Deluxe and the nicer ASMs they came out with last year? GREAT guitars. The cheaper BC Richs are pretty shitty, but I wouldn't mind rocking the NJ Deluxe.

very interesting. i haven't played any of the new ones yet. like usual, the local stores don't carry the good stuff here.

So.. I should get a guitar rather than a pickup.

yes. and save your money to buy a decent one. we can of course help you in finding the right one for you
~gR~