Official buying advice thread

not uncommon in high end basses these days. ive got a couple with 18v preamps

it should be $666

and tbh, that bass totally isnt my style. alder sounds so... generic! everything about that bass seems generic, except the top
~gR~

Alder has that classic vintage sound to it. Love it with boosted mids, for sure.

I'm not sure if that kind of tone would work for Kastigation. Then again, I just got a Sansamp, so I might be able to doctor it up...

Anyone try the DiMarzio EJ Custom neck pickup in a mahogany guitar?

EDIT:

Just got it set up today, and it sounds excellent. Fluid leads with a nice bite, cleans have a very balanced sound.

So after I get money set aside/sent to the right people for MDF I'm thinking of getting another bass. I've narrowed it down to a couple contenders, and need some second opinions on the matter. Keep in mind that they're about the same price. I've wanted an MM style bas for a while now, so...

atk.jpg

The first bass is an Ibanez ATK305. It has a maple neck and fingerboard, 3-band EQ, string-through body, 35" scale, a northern ash body, and a really interesting switch that lets you switch between different arrangements on the 3 coils in the pickup. The electronics and scale length are what make this bass stand out to me. It looks a lot like a Musicman, which I like.

dean_sledgehammer_ash_5.jpg

The second bass is a Dean Sledgehammer Ash 5. This bass has a much simpler electronics setup. 1 volume and a 2-band EQ. It also has a maple neck and fingerboard, but boasts a swamp ash body (fapfapfap), which is superior to northern ash (imho). However, I'm guessing it's 34" scale, because the bridge does not go through the body. That's not necessarily a problem if I tune it in DADGC though. Another plus is that it looks like a Warwick.

as for the basses, its probably a 50/50 choice. i think GC has had that ibanez before. see if they can get both in to play.

one thing is for sure though. neither will sound like a real music man
~gR~

That's not to say they won't sound any good. I'm not going for an exact music man sound, I'm looking for 1 oversized humbucker in the sweet spot, an ash body (swamp or northern) and a maple neck and fretboard. Completely different from my Peavey in terms of what it will sound like.

When I modified my Peavey, I wasn't hoping to make it sound like a Cirrus. I was hoping to make it sound good. And voila. It does.

So I'm looking to upgrade from the amp I've had for 3 years, aka my first amp, some $200 list price crate, and really don't know where to start. Basicly after trying a few I've determined generally the capabilities I want.

I have more to go over if I really like it but I'd like to budget around $500-600 if I can.

Basicly I just want an amp with a good gain channel, 2 if possible (sort of like a regular distortion/crunch and a solo channel like some have) and a clean channel oriented more towards sounding like an acoustic than like some strat playing blues. Also, most important is a footswitch, as I play a lot of things like Opeth that has me needing to switch between distortion and clean on the fly. In general, while my music interests are expanding a lot, I am more interested in playing some extreme prog metal (with previously mentioned clean interludes and all..) or plain death metal or doom metal than in thrash metal kind of stuff if that helps with suggestions (since stuff like Metallica tends to sound more like a metal zone pedal than plain distortion sometimes)

So primarily just great sound on the basic channels for what I'm paying is all I need. Don't need any extra effects on the amp like Line 6 or Vox often throws in, I have the basics covered in pedals there.

See if you can get a Peavey 5150 used. They tend to go for around $600, it seems. Plenty of distortion on tap, but with a natural tubey sound.

Anyone have any experience with Caparison guitars? I'm looking into the dillinger, Mattias Eklundh sig, and the horus. Anyone know about quality, playability, anything?