Official Gigantour Announcement/Discussion (updated 7/18)

Once the Gigantour chatter settles down a bit, MJR said we'd sit down & write up a cd report to let ya'll know what they plan to do about the cd. As it is, he'll be continuing to write for a few more weeks until they need to start rehearsing for the tour.

/me waiting for the "Oh, so we're not gonna see a cd until 2007" bickering...
As much as I hate the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park, I may have to go to this....

Got this from Blabbermouth:

-----------
MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has posted the following message I nthe "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"Well, the weekend is upon us and it is a fabulous sunny day here in San Diego County. I am meeting with director Michael Sarna, who you remember did the 'Of Mice and Men' video, today to BBQ and go over a special project for Gigantour.

"We are discussing the making of a DVD of the entire event for your collection which will include everything from behind the 'metal curtain' of my office, working on the last details of the tour, to pre-production, to rehearsals and the bands all meeting up in Fresno, California, to taking the mighty festival on the road to you.

"It will hopefully feature songs, sound-checks, and other casual stuff that I know as a fan and friend of the bands of Gigantour, I will want to see. I hope you will too.
---------
....Sweeeet.

so what SLOT on the second stage do they have? 40 Mins? BOO YA KA SHA

Alright guys, Their setlist will prolly read something like tours of old, and its been since April 2004 since I seen em live, and I've been waiting too fucking long too see them again.

OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh yea, since it appears to be the cool thing to do, I think my setlist is most reasonable, and sick too:

Inferno
Wicked
Evolution
King of Terrors
Smoke + Mirrors
Sins and Shadows
Sea of Lies
Awakenings?

Aww man, thinking about it, they'll be playing essentially their headlining set sans the Odyssey. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

glasscastle said:
nice....good to see Symphony X getting some attention they deserve.............please come to the South!!!!!!!!!!!

I second that motion! We DO have metalheads down here, and I am one of them. :)

1) 40 min = kick ass

2) THis could very well spark a relationship between DT and Symph that could lead to a tour of just the two of em! *prays to the prog gods*

Wow I can't believ 40 minutes. I hope the they play The Odyssey. This is the deciding factor for me. When i heard they weren't going I was debating not going, even if Overkill did end up going, but now it's for sure!

40 minutes is longer than I was expecting. Although I can't attend Gigantour myself (I'll be on vacation in NY when they play in Chicago, and I'll be back home when they play in NY), I'm glad to see that the band has more set time to play their vast array of great songs. This is my guess at the setlist -- I doubt it will vary too much per night:

Inferno
Wicked
Evolution
Communion
Accolade II
Sea of Lies
Smoke & Mirrors
OSAS

It probably won't differ too much from the last tour -- it wouldn't surprise me if they swapped King of Terrors or Church of the Machine with some other songs throughout the tour.

I hope SX will play at the Tucson show or more important i hope they come to Phoenix.

urinalcakemix said:
so what SLOT on the second stage do they have? 40 Mins?

They'll be headlining the second stage, & no, other bands won't be playing while they're onstage. From the way MJR explained it to me as it was told to him, the stages will sort of go back & forth..some on one stage, then some on the other, & back to the first, and so on.

Jax said:
Once the Gigantour chatter settles down a bit, MJR said we'd sit down & write up a cd report to let ya'll know what they plan to do about the cd. As it is, he'll be continuing to write for a few more weeks until they need to start rehearsing for the tour.

Settle down? You mean settle down as in not posting information that's been officially stated about Gigantour by Dave Mustaine himself? the man who's the head of this tour?

I'm not trying to cause any problems here. I'm not trying to compete to see who knows more. I'm just trying to help spread the word as a devoted fan, because it seems like too many people here aren't clear about what's going on.

And I guess it looks like Symphony X will be playing for 40 minutes, which I think is great. That's 10 minutes more then what Mustaine predicted for the headlining band. I have a hard time believing that each second stage band will have 40 minutes though, seeing as some of the first stage bands don't even have that long (as Dave has already announced) But I will wait to see his next announcement on that.

UnleashTheFire said:
Settle down? You mean settle down as in not posting information that's been officially stated about Gigantour by Dave Mustaine himself? the man who's the head of this tour?

I'm not trying to cause any problems here. I'm not trying to compete to see who knows more. I'm just trying to help spread the word as a devoted fan, because it seems like too many people here aren't clear about what's going on.

We're all quite clear as to what's going on, as I've said before. Things don't go on the SymX site/lists/etc. until confirmed by MJR, & there are times when there are extenuating circumstances that delay a confirmation by Mike after other sources have already done so. This only means that the official SymX info sources wait to say something's positive until MJR says so..that doesn't make any of us unclear, it just means there are things going on that we're dealing with which you aren't aware of.

There's more than meets the eye here, folks, simple as that; organizing a tour involves MUCH more than Mustaine saying 'hey wanna go?' & the bands saying 'sure!'.

And I guess it looks like Symphony X will be playing for 40 minutes, which I think is great. That's 10 minutes more then what Mustaine predicted for the headlining band. I have a hard time believing that each second stage band will have 40 minutes though, seeing as some of the first stage bands don't even have that long (as Dave has already announced) But I will wait to see his next announcement on that.

As I said, 40 minutes is what MJR was told the band would get. Perhaps Mustaine upped the time for them, I don't know. As they are headlining the second stage, the other second stage bands clearly won't get that long.

Having 2 alternating stages where no one is overlapping sounds like... it should just be one stage. Coupled with the fact that I'm pretty sure the Verizon Wireless Arena only has one stage, and trying to get the amount of people that room holds safetly relocated to another and back all night would be a real interesting dilema, I would speculate that the whole dual stage thing might get phased out some.

I terms of set list, this is the 4th time SyX has been around on Odyssey, so while I would not expect them to bust out a song they never play, I would hope that the set list would at least contain ONE substitution they are comfortable with that we have not heard on the 3 prior legs (at least not ALL 3).