Official Off Topic Thread

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is Wii??? I'll probably look stupid for not realizing, but hey... Also, sorry about this question, cos I know we've been throught it a million times, but what is it when someone reps you a blue box, and it doesn't add any points to your rep??? Thanks...

nintendo_wii2_large.jpg

Hahaha, this is a reply that I posted to a thread in the Nevermore forum, which was entitled "Progressive-metal is not a genre!" :lol:

I once read that "the only Progressive bands are the ones that you deem to be so, and that songs should always progress, but so long as they are written in the progressive-vein, they don't necessarily have to..." ??? Just goes to show the mindset of a progressive fan I guess... :lol:
I think Prog-metal is a legitimate genre, otherwise how are you going to categorize bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X and Opeth. THey cover too many genres, and calling them Prog-metal just covers them as a band who do whatever they want. I agree that Nevermore are more melodic-thrash, and I think Evergrey are more Melodic Power/Heavy metal as well. And I don't really like Pain Of Salvation. But that's just my humble opinion...

As you can imagine I got absolutely hammered :lol:, but they probably couldn't understand it anyway (plus I was just fooling around with them)... I haven't laughed so hard at such a hostile response! :lol: What fun to provoke the insecure minds of inferior musical capacity for understanding and appreciation... :D

The thing i don't like about this statement is that Opeth sound nothing like symphony x or dream theater, and really their fanbases aren't really interchangable. That's why you divide it down into subgenres upon subgenres. Example: The reason you have melodic death metal and death metal is because dark tranquillity doesn't sound like cannibal corpse... ahh, i don't care enough to argue this point.

I think this part was very unnecessary, this type of statement is why people who listen to DT and stuff get labeled as 'progsnobs'.

Geez, everyones a bit insecure today... :rolleyes: :erk: Again, I'm just playing the ultimate progsnob! It's fun! I don't really think that, I enjoy Nevermore as much as anyone, I'm just having a bit of fun and being a bit provocative... :lol: I enjoy playing the devil's advocate sometimes, just to make things more interesting... :p

just looking at that new announcement for metal families to audition for wife swap.. 'pharaoh' from here comes to mind, coz if youre browsing here, isn't your entire family into metal including your wife and kids?