Official Off Topic Thread

"Al Gore is full of shit" ???
Dude, did you even watch his movie? Do you dare to doubt the thousands of researchers? They all say the same! There is no "Maybe this global warming is a circular thing".
Those researchers spend their time investigating every little bit, every thingy that could improve the situation and give you tons, tons of evidence.
But you just doubt them? Haven't you noticed your summer is getting warmer? Haven't you noticed there are a *little* more hurricanes coming?
Well, I have.
10 million bon jovi fans can't be wrong. Right?

The booklet was proofed by Romeo and Allen. No confusion now lol.

Al Gore is a loser, he used his star power to get that nobel peace prize. The same way Angelina Jolie is using hers with the U.N.
"You know what, I've been naked in more than 2 movies, made out with my brother, and had sex with Brad Pitt while he was with Jennifer Anniston, and that gives me full responsibly to go to an African country and adopt some kids and say a few things about gaining peace at the U.N."
"But Angelina, what about all those college students and other people who have been working their asses off for years and years to get something done in the U.N. and you just prance along and use your star power to get things done."
"I say make a movie and get as famous as I am and there's nothing you can't do."

Seriously, that is how it is. It's the same way with Gore. Scientists have been researching all the stuff he talks about for years and now he just comes along and fabricates most of his shit so he gets all the credit. It's so dumb.

So...Russia's President Putin is named Person of the Year by Time. WTF? He cares nothing for civil liberties or freedom of speech and looks the other way as the mafia there fill their pockets. Having just returned from that country, l can vouch for the fact that the people like him...mainly because he's young & not a drunk. But, considering the average income there is only equal to $400-450 a month & the people are poor as hell...it amazes me they still look up to him. Maybe it's the hope of better things to come. Hhmm...

FYI Hitler was named Person of the Year by Time just before WWII...

not saying Putin is necessarily like that, but it just goes to show that not every winner turns out great...

10 million bon jovi fans can't be wrong. Right?
:lol:

If Al Gore is overreacting, that's fine with me. Even if there were 50 errors in it, at least it wakes up people, and that's the purpose. Yes, it allows people like yourself to reject it, and that's fine. But saying he is full of shit and the movie is propaganda is not right.
I live in Belgium, and go to university here. I don't doubt all those teachers and doctors. I take them seriously. When they say global warming is serious, then I believe them. And I haven't met any doctor there who says it's bullshit, so Meedleyx10 and Ken, no way.
Today there's a speed limit for the smog. That's not global warming, but hey, if cars came with oxygen out of their asses, it wouldn't be such a problem, would it?

And no, I will not search the internet for information about the subject. I have a chemics doctor living next door.

My take on the GW phenomenon - take a look at the Earth in prehistoric times. It was mostly land masses. Over time, those land masses have been broken up and water has consumed much of the Earth's surface. My take is that our climate change is not human-induced to the extent the Gore-ites and media folk want us to think; rather, it is a continued evolution of the Earth itself. For one instance, the earthquake which caused the tsunamis in Indonesia a few years back reportedly knocked our planet off axis by 1°. That translates into more sunlight hitting ice-cap areas, thereby melting some of the ice cap. That's my speculation, yes, but equally as valid as any rant about the light bulbs I use in my house.

If greenhouse gases are indeed causing climate change, or accelerating climate change by my argument above, the US is not the first place we need to look. Those 1 billion-plus Chinese are buying cars at a ridiculous rate. We've seen the effects of their new economy and culture in our own gasoline prices across the world. Add India to that scale as well. And I've personally seen the nasty brown and gray cloud float over El Paso, TX from Juarez, Mexico. It is sickening. But, it's still somehow the fault of the Americans, I'm sure.

Al Gore did his job perfectly. he overexagerated alot , but it just brought so much attention to the subject that his contribution is undeniable. the reason he did it and not the many scientists that research it is because people want to hear what he says because they know who he is. it's the same reason you see famous people on commercials; they didn't invent the product, but people are willing to listen. as far as i'm concerned, the fact that everyone on this forum is educated enough about it to have a healthy debate is proof enough that Al Gore did his job right. this doesn't mean that i think he is a great politition though. it looks to me like he always finds a controvercial platform and uses it to get his name out there. but at least the product has been possitive. besides peoplke thinking the problem is worse than it iscan't hurt. it'll just make them do more for the environment than they have to... which should happen anyway.

so we assume those brown grey clouds are harmless, just blow away and become purified as they intermingle with an indefinate supply of clean air? we assume that because the earth has gone through cycles of ice and warming that the more significant changes of the past decades is due to some earthquake and Mt St. Helens? We assume because America has deindustrialized and developing countries are becoming industrialized that American industrial powers have nothing to do with it ?

:lol:

If Al Gore is overreacting, that's fine with me. Even if there were 50 errors in it, at least it wakes up people, and that's the purpose. Yes, it allows people like yourself to reject it, and that's fine. But saying he is full of shit and the movie is propaganda is not right.
I live in Belgium, and go to university here. I don't doubt all those teachers and doctors. I take them seriously. When they say global warming is serious, then I believe them. And I haven't met any doctor there who says it's bullshit, so Meedleyx10 and Ken, no way.
Today there's a speed limit for the smog. That's not global warming, but hey, if cars came with oxygen out of their asses, it wouldn't be such a problem, would it?

And no, I will not search the internet for information about the subject. I have a chemics doctor living next door.

Then kindly step out of this one...if you're not willing to educate yourself, you've got nothing to contribute.

FYI Hitler was named Person of the Year by Time just before WWII...

not saying Putin is necessarily like that, but it just goes to show that not every winner turns out great...

Time is supposed to name Person of the year as the person of most significant influence, not necessarily GOOD influence. Hence Hitler, Stalin, and Khomemi (sp) being chosen. Perhaps their recent retarded choices of "You" "The Computer" and Bush might have led some to think otherwise.

Meedley: amen, amen. We definitely agree on this issue of Global Warming. razoredge, also with my thoughts. I'm not saying there's no problem or that we should do nothing to protect our environment, especially the ozone from incoming solar radiation, but this al gore stuff is crap.

So, are you back home for good, or do you have to go back? Must be quite a culture shock. IIRC, you were there a while...

Yeah back for good. l flew back to the states just in time for ProgPower...went back to Kaliningrad only to be told l had to return to the US. Turns out the Russian government is putting pressure on Russian companies to eliminate foreigners (read that Americans) from their payrolls.

I don't get the whole MotY Putin thing either. He's already caused rifts in what was a pretty decent alliance, with the tough talk, strategic bomber flights, etc. I wonder if the people in the Soviet Union are looking to get the "glory days" back from the cold war era. IMO, Putin sure seems to be the guy to do that. I don't have enough info on him to really say anything one way or the other, so it's actually good to hear facts/opinions from someone who lived/worked there, and intermingled with the Soviet citizens.

There are alot of Russians who would love to go back to the way it was. And not only the older generation. There was a march in Moscow, while l was there, that was a young communist group. l think this is mainly because they are not adapting to the capitalistic economy that exists there now. The people have no sense of work ethic having lived on the government tit that existed in the communist era.
l will tell you...they do not like the USA there. They think we're brash, egotistical, & meddling. My interpreter (who was a hottie BTW) and l got into many political/national conversations sometimes involving others we worked with...and l'm sure l didn't help dispel any notion she shared with her fellow countrymen about the US. But, l told her and many others...it ain't braggin' if you can back it up. :heh:
l did notice on my travels to various borders in Russia that they have left all the necessary measures to lock that country down if it was so decided. Kinda scary seeing the killzones with machine gun towers & spotlights.

Ascension - Must have been an interesting experience, I appreaciate your report.
--------------
I can understand why they want to protect jobs within their country, I'd call that smart. I can also understand why the grab fest that came with, and is, capitolism has left them unsatisified. Work ethics? I dont know about in Russia, but I've not been real impressed with work ethics here in the states either and I aint talking bout welfare. We are not popular anywhere in the world and most accusations are reasonably accurate if one has vision enough to put themselves on the receiving end.

Yeah back for good. l flew back to the states just in time for ProgPower...went back to Kaliningrad only to be told l had to return to the US. Turns out the Russian government is putting pressure on Russian companies to eliminate foreigners (read that Americans) from their payrolls.

You were at Prog Power this year??! As much as we have had our differences, it still would have been cool to meet you in person and have a beer, or a shot, or something. Great, now Russia is getting rid of the dirty Americans on their soil, I sense a lock down in the future. At least you're home for the winter holidays.

There are alot of Russians who would love to go back to the way it was. And not only the older generation. There was a march in Moscow, while l was there, that was a young communist group. l think this is mainly because they are not adapting to the capitalistic economy that exists there now. The people have no sense of work ethic having lived on the government tit that existed in the communist era.
l will tell you...they do not like the USA there. They think we're brash, egotistical, & meddling. My interpreter (who was a hottie BTW) and l got into many political/national conversations sometimes involving others we worked with...and l'm sure l didn't help dispel any notion she shared with her fellow countrymen about the US. But, l told her and many others...it ain't braggin' if you can back it up. :heh:
l did notice on my travels to various borders in Russia that they have left all the necessary measures to lock that country down if it was so decided. Kinda scary seeing the killzones with machine gun towers & spotlights.

I'd really hate to see things revert back to how they were over there, but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I'm kind of surprised that the younger people don't enjoy the new found freedoms (well, new-ish). Every country has its hardliners, but I figured they would be the older ones. It'll be quite interesting to see how things unfold under Putin's rule, for better or for worse. We've dealt with them before like that, and I'm sure we can deal with them again. Work ethic issues seems to be commonplace everywhere now, but yeah, I'm sure it was a kick in the ass for them to go from suckling, to having to get out and actually work, and compete, for lack of a better word. I also wouldn't expect them to soften their border defenses, but I'm sure seeing that was a helluva reality check.

Well, here's to hoping you enjoy being back in our brash, egotistical, & meddling country :headbang::kickass:

p.s. Hottie interpreters FTW! :loco::heh:

Then kindly step out of this one...if you're not willing to educate yourself, you've got nothing to contribute.
Meedley, don't say such things. Even if you would meet the dumbest person ever, don't tell him to shut up, because that's not the way to win a discussion.

This is my point:
- the problem we are facing is real and no bullshit. There's just too much evidence and you cannot ignore that.
- my sources are educated doctors and teachers at university, not the internet.
- Al Gore did a good job: he made a movie that everybody could understand the problem and everybody knows. Yes he overdid it a bit, but I don't blame him for doing so.

Ascension, are they really willing to go back to those times?
I met students in Poland last year, they won't go back, no no... out of our conversations, I can say they quite hate communism.

The words "shut up" did not appear in any of my posts, nor would they. I simply refuse to give any significant credit/acknowledgement to close minded individuals who are willfully ignorant of material they are actively trying to discuss

-There's as much of not more evidence stating the contrary. There are a lot of reputable people in the scientific community (at least as many as there are who DO support the theory) who have spoken out against the idea of global warming and even more have spoken out against the theory of man made global warming. The vast majority of the "evidence" supporting Gore's stance is exaggerated or outright false, and that's been proven not only scientifically but through basic logic
-Your sources? You mean the ones that you can basically count on one hand? Unlike you, I've done my research, I've read the reports, I've read the studies, I follow a lot of the news stories, I've talked to professors, etc. Most importantly, I've paid attention to all the above from BOTH SIDES.
-Al Gore did not do a good job. He is using scare tactics, propaganda, and his celebrity status to get as many people on board as possible. As a bonus, he's gotten people to think more about being eco-friendly, which is good, but his methods are sickening. His movie contains many gross innaccuracies...many of which Gore and his "team" have contradicted themselves on on numerous occassions.

You seem to be largely missing the point of what I'm saying to you. While I completely disagree with your assessment of the situation, it's not for that reason that I am harping on you. I'm harping on you because you are so ignorant to the situation, have only looked at one side of story, and yet still feel like you are in a position to criticize others' who, in this case, are a lot more informed than you. Willfull ignorance is FAR more threatening to civilization than anything Al Gore is "predicting".

I'm with Drew on his rant. Al Gore is nothing to me, and I wish he'd go back to his compound, use more ridiculous amounts of electricity, and stay out of public sight. Or maybe if the media would stop following him around, he'd get the hint.

And to continue about celebrity "opinions", it is sickening to me when I pick up magazines and see actors telling me how to live. Actors who are good at memorizing lines from a script and putting words into action, pretending they have a brain and can think for their selves? Gimme a break. Most are too ignorant or too dumb to find out facts on their own until somebody tells it to them.

There are some intelligent people out there, even actors, yes; but, the people I see in magazines and on TV do little for me when they're simply throwing out lines and sound bites.

Tuo, I respect your points, but at the same time I feel that anybody can be educated on certain topics, not merely doctors and teachers. And however educated they may be, their messages may still be clouded by their own opinions.