Official Off Topic Thread

Its not our fault we live in these times, this is the way we get around. This is the system all the corporations and government decided to activate. There is a good question as to how much of this travel is really necessary. Sometimes I think alot of this flying around for "meetings" is questional though. I thought the internet and other improvements in the communications industry was supposed to eliminate these issues. Sometimes I think its just a way some people make their work fun. Outside of work there sure is alot of raming around going on. I cant believe the traffic in the cities during the day now, remember I've been around awhile so have noticed the change. When I was driving for a living, bogged down in traffic in the middle of the day I would be thinking "Doesnt anybody work anymore?" "Dont you have a place of work your supposed to be at?" You can sit or drive amounst all those hundereds of cars and visualize the amount of gas thats being burnt that second. Sit by a busy gas station and imagine how many gallons just got pumped in the past 5 minutes.
Thats just the tip of the iceburg.
Shipping is what amazes me. Little is made anywhere local anymore. Everything we eat or drink or use or build with has been shipped halfway across the country... or in many many instances half way around the world, its mind boggling. Ignoring the polution, ignoring the ozone, which I know little about... ignorie all that and just think of the heat thats produced by these millions and millions of combustion devices.
Look at all the brick, stone, & block buildings in the big citys and all the asphalt and all the rooftops pounding out massive volumns of passive solar heat everyday... Compared to a land that was once covered in cool forests.
While one angle may be that its arrogant to think we could have a significant detrimental effect on our environment it is equally as arrogant to think we could not.
I've used this example before - Anyone ever done any winter camping ? You can keep a small tent at 0*F above freezing(32*F) by simply burning one wax candle. If the tent represents our atmosphere and man with all his energy burning, heat creating ways, the candles... I'd say we have too many candles burning in our tent.
yea, yea, yea, I know... Im a wack job... but to me its a simple matter of logic.
Now all these developing countries are in the process of developing into the same culture and similar society as ours and their demand for these energy burning "necessities" is on the rise. Give it 20 years and see if that compounds the environmental problems. Won't matter to me in twenty years but you younger folks are going to get your chance to see the changes, then you can ponder just what the hell the real purpose of life actually is......

I agree, not sure if we are set up as well logistically for trains though, with work being spread out all over and the amount of rural population we have that has little form of work anymore without commuting to the city. Im all for it though but this country is set up real crappy now for where the work is.

Also, what's wrong with taking a car to the grocery store? Most people (especially those with families) shop in bulk, they simply don't have the time to walk to the grocery store every morning for food. I live on the same block as my grocery store so I do walk and I only get groceries every few days, but I grew up in a family of 5....my parents sure as hell didn't have time to go to the grocery store every day. They also sure as hell weren't going to walk 5 miles carrying 2 weeks worth of groceries. What about my drummer when we play gigs? Is he supposed to take the city bus with his kit in order to avoid driving his car?
I meant local grocery store as the one which lies within walking distance of your home. Of course if you've got stuff you need to drive around (large amount of food, drum kits, christmas tree, whatever) then you'll probably need a car, of course. What I was implying is that most people with a drivers license are lazy. I have one myself, and in the beginning I took the car everywhere.

Not enough money has been invested into trains here. It's a nice compromise between travel via car and airplane.

I bring this up everytime I get into a bitch fest with my Euro pals about the fuel costs here. If we were the same size, and had the same rail infrastructure most of Europe had, I'd love taking the train...

As for the water and politics... I certainly agree. Desertification is a huge problem in the tropics that will spread as small brush and grass die out. Is their death due to heat or is it due to urban development? Some of both, I'd say. Also, Al Gore is full of shit , and lmao at final comments.

"Al Gore is full of shit" ???
Dude, did you even watch his movie? Do you dare to doubt the thousands of researchers? They all say the same! There is no "Maybe this global warming is a circular thing".
Those researchers spend their time investigating every little bit, every thingy that could improve the situation and give you tons, tons of evidence.
But you just doubt them? Haven't you noticed your summer is getting warmer? Haven't you noticed there are a *little* more hurricanes coming?
Well, I have.

I'm willing to bet anything that you've not done any actual research on the issue and that you simply saw his movie and maybe a few scatterred news reports before you decided that you knew all you needed to know about the issue. The media is so one sided on it that I honestly wouldn't pass judgement on you for it. The media (at least here, I dunno about Belgium) doesn't give you any option but to buy into what Al Gore is saying. The nonsense about all scientists agreeing (not to mention quite a few other things) is complete and utter bullshit, and tells me right off the bat that you don't know what you're talking about. You know what though? That's fine, because up until a couple months ago I was in the same boat, until I finally got sick of people cramming Global Warming propaganda down my throat and decided to actually become educated on the issue. I simply suggest doing serious research on the issue, and if you still feel the same afterwards then you can come back and feel free to have a legitimate discussion. For now though, you are not well enough informed to do so.

As for Al Gore, it's great that he's using his propaganda to convince people to be more eco-friendly. This, however, does not change the fact that it is indeed propaganda. There are serious flaws in his movie that he seems to have no interest in addressing. Thoughts on Global Warming are anything but unified and it is frighteningly ignorant to assume they are.

As for Al Gore, it's great that he's using his propaganda to convince people to be more eco-friendly. This, however, does not change the fact that it is indeed propaganda. There are serious flaws in his movie that he seems to have no interest in addressing. Thoughts on Global Warming are anything but unified and it is frighteningly ignorant to assume they are.

I remember reading an editorial not too long ago about the British government essentially requiring that Gore's views be put into perspective (so to speak) before the movie could be shown in schools (apparently they didn't think he was particularly objective). :loco:

I'm willing to bet anything that you've not done any actual research on the issue and that you simply saw his movie and maybe a few scatterred news reports before you decided that you knew all you needed to know about the issue. The media is so one sided on it that I honestly wouldn't pass judgement on you for it. The media (at least here, I dunno about Belgium) doesn't give you any option but to buy into what Al Gore is saying. The nonsense about all scientists agreeing (not to mention quite a few other things) is complete and utter bullshit, and tells me right off the bat that you don't know what you're talking about. You know what though? That's fine, because up until a couple months ago I was in the same boat, until I finally got sick of people cramming Global Warming propaganda down my throat and decided to actually become educated on the issue. I simply suggest doing serious research on the issue, and if you still feel the same afterwards then you can come back and feel free to have a legitimate discussion. For now though, you are not well enough informed to do so.

Wow, I had no idea "Al Gore" was the one responsible for global warming, whodathunk it could be so simple...............

So...Russia's President Putin is named Person of the Year by Time. WTF? He cares nothing for civil liberties or freedom of speech and looks the other way as the mafia there fill their pockets. Having just returned from that country, l can vouch for the fact that the people like him...mainly because he's young & not a drunk. But, considering the average income there is only equal to $400-450 a month & the people are poor as hell...it amazes me they still look up to him. Maybe it's the hope of better things to come. Hhmm...

Hey, Stephan Colbert interviewed him, and if he was on teh Colbert Report, then at least that's something.
</retarted>

Wow, I had no idea "Al Gore" was the one responsible for global warming, whodathunk it could be so simple...............

I never once said that, so please read before trying to respond using any type of wit. It was, however, he and his film that were under direct question so obviously, his name showed up in my response. Al Gore is the poster-boy for the issue...it's his baby.

I remember reading an editorial not too long ago about the British government essentially requiring that Gore's views be put into perspective (so to speak) before the movie could be shown in schools (apparently they didn't think he was particularly objective). :loco:

There was a big long list of errors, exaggerations, and innacuracies contained in "an inconvenient truth" that was presented to the high court in london. The court ruled that the first 9 were, in fact, errors and that they didn't have time to go through the rest of the list. The article, with the the list of errors and the scientific backing that says they are errors is pretty easy found online....I can't remember the link, but if you can't find it let me know and I'll try to help. I might have even saved the PDF file.

OMG I fuckin' :lol:'d at the end of the Misprinted lyrics thread. It had to be the best thing I've ever seen on this forum since jojo.... or maybe not that good.

I finally got sick of people cramming Global Warming propaganda down my throat and decided to actually become educated on the issue.

OK, I'll work on my "reading". At least Im glad to see that you acknowledge there is propaganda surrounding the issue.

So...Russia's President Putin is named Person of the Year by Time. WTF? He cares nothing for civil liberties or freedom of speech and looks the other way as the mafia there fill their pockets. Having just returned from that country, l can vouch for the fact that the people like him...mainly because he's young & not a drunk. But, considering the average income there is only equal to $400-450 a month & the people are poor as hell...it amazes me they still look up to him. Maybe it's the hope of better things to come. Hhmm...

So, are you back home for good, or do you have to go back? Must be quite a culture shock. IIRC, you were there a while...

I don't get the whole MotY Putin thing either. He's already caused rifts in what was a pretty decent alliance, with the tough talk, strategic bomber flights, etc. I wonder if the people in the Soviet Union are looking to get the "glory days" back from the cold war era. IMO, Putin sure seems to be the guy to do that. I don't have enough info on him to really say anything one way or the other, so it's actually good to hear facts/opinions from someone who lived/worked there, and intermingled with the Soviet citizens.

So....do I win something?

*just kidding mods*

Howsabout a nice warm mug of STFU? :lol: