Official Off Topic Thread

"I'm not into Beatles, but I'm sure that millions of people cannot be wrong!"

I don't like this " x people can't be wrong". Just look how many listen to Hip-Hop and Techno and that shit :erk:

You're right, it's not only about technique. I think it is important that music transports emotions. And as many of them as possible. That's why I like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation a.s.o, because the emotions their music give me change in one song. Just listen to "Awakenings" from SyX, or "Endless Sacrifice" from Dream Theater.

And that's also why I HATE Hip-Hop and Techno. This stupid "Yeah, we have a party, take your clothes off" so-called-music doesn't give me anything because it doesn't transport any emotions for me. And their technique is reduced to not even playing an instrument but letting the computer do the work. How can this work? Why do people really buy this music? :ill:

@Shredididle;"...how many 14-year olds do you see liking jazz and fusion"?
What`s that supposed to mean? Do you seriously think you`re one of the few who does? Well, I regret to inform you that`s totally wrong. In music classes all over the world guitarists are learning jazz and fusion from the age of well, about 10.
When I was 13 i listened alot to Gambale and Metheny, but it`s not a big deal at all, since tons of people are actually doing it. A couple of weeks ago i saw a 10-year old playing a jazz piece in a full band which lasted 7-8 minutes, although it was not at all complicated, just an example. Stop acting like you`re a phenomenon just because you`re young and listen to fusion/jazz music.

I don`tlike Rusty either thoguh :D , but I can absolutely understand why some people do..

ElPredicador said:
If it were only about technique, then this guy fareri (that was mentioned herea while ago and caused the hell of a mess) would be one of the greatest musicians in history.

Dude even if it was only about technique Fareri would still suck ass. He's sloppy as fuck, I have no idea why anyone still gives this guy the time of day.

Yngvai, I don't care if he is or not sloppy. I heard one song of him and he was fast, so I used him as an example. Besides it got my point understood, didn't it?

And DemonicSoul, I don't think you should say electronic musicians aren't musicians because they let the computer do the work. If that was the case, Bach would suck because he left the playing for an orchestra. And I think we would agree that Bach definetely doesn't. And also you should listen to non-mainstream Hip-Hop and electronic music before saying such things. I don't like hip hop, but I can say there is some good electronic music out there. I would recommend you to get Chicane, he is one of the best ones out there. I would say ambient electronic music can be really good. Drum n' Bass is also a good option to listen to, although you would have to search harder here to find good bands. You know, not all hip hop and electronic is about dancing naked...

For the record, when I was 16 - 17 I used to LOVE Pearl Jam, they were my favorite band in the whole world. Certainly not technical music, and most of the time it took many listens to get into the stuff coz I found them so unconventional, but I loved them to death and I sort of still do like it just as a way to reminisce of my teen years.

shredmaster said:
@Shredididle;"...how many 14-year olds do you see liking jazz and fusion"?
What`s that supposed to mean? Do you seriously think you`re one of the few who does? Well, I regret to inform you that`s totally wrong. In music classes all over the world guitarists are learning jazz and fusion from the age of well, about 10.
When I was 13 i listened alot to Gambale and Metheny, but it`s not a big deal at all, since tons of people are actually doing it. A couple of weeks ago i saw a 10-year old playing a jazz piece in a full band which lasted 7-8 minutes, although it was not at all complicated, just an example. Stop acting like you`re a phenomenon just because you`re young and listen to fusion/jazz music.

I don`tlike Rusty either thoguh :D , but I can absolutely understand why some people do..
Dude What the fuck???:OMG: I never said I was so special because Im young and dig fusion jazz music, allthough I might of come off like it. I think people are misunderstanding (or I didnt express myself properly) what i meant by that. What I meant by that comment was Meedly said... "age doesnt matter i suppose"... And I agreed, but only in another context of what he meant by saying age doesnt nessisarily (I cant beleive i cant spell that properly:ill:) make boundries between anything (well....mabey something:D) as an example, a young person like myself liking jazz. Not that I think Im so special that I like jazz...know what I mean? So no, I don't think I'm a phenomenon because I like fusion and jazz.

Hope that clears it up:)

So anyway....My new amp will be delivered tommorrow. The Mesa Boogie Heartbreker. I got for an amazing price from ebay (around 1/3 the cost) and its from a guy that works at a music shop, and hell courior it from the shop:headbang: Im pshyched!!!!

@ElPredicador

sorry, you kind of misunderstood me.

first of all: I'm not complainig about electronical musik in general, I'm complainig about the commercial techno and hip-hop stuff. Bach was a genius, because he composed some of the most complex songs I ever heard which still sound good. Like John Petrucci and Michael Romeo in the golden Age of Baroque.

But this techno shit you can hear on the radio and on MTV is just putting other people's samples together to create a new song. nd the Hip-Hop Songs I hate are just rythms created with a drum computer with some samples and stupid lyrics about how great they are and how shitty the others are!! This music seems to miss the important point in music....

Of course there's some great electronical music out there and there are some great Hip Hop Bands, too. But I didn't complain about those

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Dude What the fuck???:OMG: I never said I was so special because Im young and dig fusion jazz music, allthough I might of come off like it. I think people are misunderstanding (or I didnt express myself properly) what i meant by that. What I meant by that comment was Meedly said... "age doesnt matter i suppose"... And I agreed, but only in another context of what he meant by saying age doesnt nessisarily (I cant beleive i cant spell that properly:ill:) make boundries between anything (well....mabey something:D) as an example, a young person like myself liking jazz. Not that I think Im so special that I like jazz...know what I mean? So no, I don't think I'm a phenomenon because I like fusion and jazz.

Hope that clears it up:)

So anyway....My new amp will be delivered tommorrow. The Mesa Boogie Heartbreker. I got for an amazing price from ebay (around 1/3 the cost) and its from a guy that works at a music shop, and hell courior it from the shop:headbang: Im pshyched!!!!

Okay dude, sorry for being so harsh, i just misunderstood you :) .
BTW, good luck on the new amp, it`s probably fantastic!

DemonicSoul said:
"I'm not into Beatles, but I'm sure that millions of people cannot be wrong!"

I don't like this " x people can't be wrong". Just look how many listen to Hip-Hop and Techno and that shit :erk:

You're right, it's not only about technique. I think it is important that music transports emotions. And as many of them as possible. That's why I like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation a.s.o, because the emotions their music give me change in one song. Just listen to "Awakenings" from SyX, or "Endless Sacrifice" from Dream Theater.

And that's also why I HATE Hip-Hop and Techno. This stupid "Yeah, we have a party, take your clothes off" so-called-music doesn't give me anything because it doesn't transport any emotions for me. And their technique is reduced to not even playing an instrument but letting the computer do the work. How can this work? Why do people really buy this music? :ill:
It's very simple. Most people are "casual music fans", the type of listener that will listen to anything just because it's on the radio, the type that will buy an album for one song, the type that like something because it has a "cool beat", etc.

Hip-hop, techno, pop... that kind of stuff is very shallow music IMO. That's why prog appeals to me, I see it as a sort of "transcendental" music. Something that breaks the boundaries of mundane musical expression.

There's nothing wrong with listening to rap or pop, if that's what you like, but I still see it as a shallow form of music.

Well anglebargle, there are a lot of prog bands that don't break any boundary... I won't mention some because then hell would break loose with people defending or attacking them, but there are many bands that don't make anything new. Just try to count how many DT clones are out there. Or SX ones. On the other hand, there are pop bands that have done something new, and I find that more rewarding and a better thing to do than playing at 500 beats/sec.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:

have you played thought one of those yet? are they versatile? i remember reading up on it and it didnt sound like it would be much good for anyhting but classic rock/blues......buti ahvent played it personally so i dont know

IM actually either getting a podxt or a vetta soon, not sure yet, i met romeo last night and we talked a bit about geat and i think hes got me sold on the vetta

Yeah I know the Heartbreaker isn't a high gain amp. But honestly, I dont really want that...plus a Tube Screamer will definately give enough gain for the times when I do want truckloads of distortion. I haven't played one, which is a real bummer because I really don't like the idea of buying such an expensive thing without knowing how it sounds personally. But Im getting this from a guy (and is a VERY cool guy!) that works at one of Australia's biggest music shops, that is far away from here and there isnt anywhere close where I try out one. But I could definately get what I paid for it if I don't happen to like it.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Yeah I know the Heartbreaker isn't a high gain amp. But honestly, I dont really want that...plus a Tube Screamer will definately give enough gain for the times when I do want truckloads of distortion. I haven't played one, which is a real bummer because I really don't like the idea of buying such an expensive thing without knowing how it sounds personally. But Im getting this from a guy (and is a VERY cool guy!) that works at one of Australia's biggest music shops, that is far away from here and there isnt anywhere close where I try out one. But I could definately get what I paid for it if I don't happen to like it.

im sure if its a mesa its gotta be good for something, just for me i need a lot of versatility cause im doing everything from jazz to death metal.....okay not much death metal but sometimes....thouhg my main stuff is fusion/neoclassical/prog....with a hefty dose of Cooley licks ;)

okay It arrived last night. As soon as I put the Standby off and turned up the volume..it shorted out and I couldnt turn it back on! I took the fuse out and it was completely burnt. So today I went out and got a pack of some new fuses for $2 ;) It blew again, was pretty concerned but then thought about the Rectifier select (you can choose between a tube rectifier and a silicon rectifire, just like the Rectos) and put a new fuse in again but put it to Silicon Diodes. Didn't short out. Working fine, so the tube rectifire is stuffed. The guy I bought it from sais he'd replace any bad tubes, so its no biggie. But i will need to get it fixed soon.

Now onto the amp.
SHIT! Really loud, and really fucking heavy. Awsomme versitillity. Theres about switches for most things. On the back pannel there is a 100/60 watt switch, Full Power/Tweed Power (kinda like a variac) switch and a Silicon/Tube Rectifier. On the front pannel...there is a Bold (male)/Curvacious (female) switch that changes the overal voicing of the amp, channel select love/lust, high gain/low gain switch for each chanel, a Trim/fat switch for the high gain modes, normal/boost switch for channel one high gain mode, Bright/Warm switch for channel 2....so yeah...fuckload of things here. I cant even imagine how hard the Road King would be to configure X0! but the good thing is, most combinations sound good, so its not hard to set up a good sound.

Channel 1 (Love) gives some nice bright Fender-ish cleans. These clean sounds are really nice, perfect for jazz and blues. Not quite as good as an old Twin, but for a modern, higher gained amp it is tops. Then it can also get some great mid gain rhythm tones, with a whole lotta bite. It also gives the 'liquid lead' tone of the old Mark I's...which is so far my favourite sound of the amp. It has a fair amount of gain to it, but not quit enough for metal tones. Although it doesnt have truckloads of distortion, it sustains for days and gives an amazing lead sound.

Channel 2 (lust) is a more 'brittish' channel. I dont overly like the cleans as of yet, but i think only being limited to the silicon rectifier at the moment has something to do with it. Turn the gain up, PERFECT blues tone. Quite Marshally, but still Mesa. Gives great rock rhythm tones. Im sure with a Tube screamer in front, it will also give a great metal riffage. But I still prefure channel 1 overal.

So it wont give your perfect metal tones, but im not into that much anyway. But I really want to get to use the tube rectifier soon as from what Ive read, it has a more vintage vibe and suits the amp better. But I'm just getting into what the amp can do. Overal i rate it 8.5/10. Love it!

I'm glad you're happy with it, man - I can't even imagine myself playing a boogie.

And 8,5 is pretty high of a score for an amp, I don't think I'll rate even a custom head, made for my mercy by Mr. Bogner, more than 9,3 (that's mindblowing in my rating system, mind you).

BTW, did you get a chance to test drive it wide open yet? ( :headbang: )

ElPredicador said:
Well anglebargle, there are a lot of prog bands that don't break any boundary... I won't mention some because then hell would break loose with people defending or attacking them, but there are many bands that don't make anything new. Just try to count how many DT clones are out there. Or SX ones. On the other hand, there are pop bands that have done something new, and I find that more rewarding and a better thing to do than playing at 500 beats/sec.
Lol, touche, touche.

YA GOT ME THERE. :loco: