Oh God! Did anyone see the new guitar world?

the_satanic_rabbit said:
The numbers really don't matter. The point is that finally, they are getting some long overdue recognition.
Exactly. That's why I posted it, but I can't resist getting sucked into the bitching about these lists, no matter how hard I try. :tickled:

the guitar one poll a while back was pretty fresh, instead of a list it was sorta like an ncaa tournament set up. one guitarist versuses another in chops for a round, versitility in another one etc.. needless to say hendrix ended up on top but there was quite a few unknown names in there. and no jack white :)

Yeah Guitar One did that retarded NCAA poll type thing, and in each round they judged the players on different things, which was gay. They could've won a round judged on chops but lost another one judged on something stupid like tone.

Who's on the cover of the new GW? I don't think I get it anymore, my subscription expired and now I only get G1.

GUITAR WORLD's 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists Of All Time - Jan. 23, 2004

The March 2004 issue of Guitar World magazine includes a list of the 100 greatest heavy metal guitarists as selected by the magazine's staff. "This is not a list that ranks who can play the fastest or with the most taste, feeling or technique (although many players on our list have all of those arrows in their quiver)," the editors stress in the accompanying introduction. "It is, rather, a tribute to the great men who shit iron and piss stainless steel razor blades, and do it every time they plug into an amplifier."

Guitar World 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists Of All Time:

01. Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH)
02. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (METALLICA)
03. Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC)
04. Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)
05. Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)
06. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
07. Dimebag Darrell (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN)
08. Zakk Wylde (OZZY OSBOURNE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)
09. Adam Jones (TOOL)
10. Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman (SLAYER)
11. Dave Murray & Adrian Smith (IRON MAIDEN)
12. Jimi Hendrix
13. Glen Tipton & K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST)
14. Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS)
15. Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)
16. Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)
17. Yngwie Malmsteen
18. Joe Perry & Brad Whitford (AEROSMITH)
19. Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman (MEGADETH)
20. Chuck Schuldiner (DEATH)
21. Brian May (QUEEN)
22. Michael Schenker (MSG, UFO)
23. Nigel Tufnel (SPINAL TAP)
24. Jeff Beck
25. Tom Morello (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE)
26. Head & Munky (KORN)
27. John Petrucci (DREAM THEATER)
28. Kim Thayil (SOUNDGARDEN)
29. Vivian Campbell (DEF LEPPARD)
30. Daron Malakian (SYSTEM OF A DOWN)
31. Scott Ian (ANTHRAX)
32. Tom G. Warrior (CELTIC FROST)
33. Chris Degarmo & Michael Wilton (QUEENSRŸCHE)
34. C.C. Deville
35. Marten Hagström & Fredrik Thorndendal (MESHUGGAH)
36. Alex Lifeson (RUSH)
37. Paul Gilbert (MR. BIG, RACER X)
38. Jerry Cantrell (ALICE IN CHAINS)
39. Mantas (VENOM)
40. Jason Becker (DAVE LEE ROTH)
41. Phil Collen & Steve Clarke (DEF LEPPARD)
42. Mikael Åkerfeldt & Peter Lindgren (OPETH)
43. Fast Eddie Clarke (MOTÖRHEAD)
44. Nuno Bettencourt (EXTREME)
45. Warren DeMartini (RATT)
46. Mick Mars (MÖTLEY CRÜE)
47. George Lynch (DOKKEN)
48. Ted Nugent
49. Jake E. Lee (OZZY OSBOURNE, BADLANDS)
50. Rudolf Schenker & Uli John Roth (SCORPIONS)
51. Oystein "Euronymous" Aarseth (MAYHEM)
52. Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson (THIN LIZZY)
53. Steve Vai (DAVE LEE ROTH)
54. Reb Beach (WINGER, DOKKEN)
55. Trey Azagthoth (MORBID ANGEL)
56. John Sykes (THIN LIZZY, BLUE MURDER)
57. Hank Shermann & Michael Denner (MERCYFUL FATE)
58. Richie Sambora (BON JOVI)
59. Jon Donais & Matt Backhand (SHADOWS FALL)
60. Stephen Carpenter (DEFTONES)
61. Alex Skolnick & Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT)
62. Brian Tatler (DIAMOND HEAD)
63. John Christ (DANZIG)
64. Scott "Wino" Weinrich (THE OBSESSED)
65. Pepper Keenan & Woody Weatherman (C.O.C.)
66. Tommy Victor (PRONG)
67. Leslie West (MOUNTAIN)
68. Vernon Reid (LIVING COLOUR)
69. Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce (ALICE COOPER)
70. Bjorn Gelotte & Jesper Stromblad (IN FLAMES)
71. Jim Matheos (FATES WARNING)
72. Gary Holt & Rick Hunolt (EXODUS)
73. Donald Buck Dharma Roeser (BLUE ÖYSTER CULT)
74. Michael Amott (ARCH ENEMY)
75. Robert Fripp (KING CRIMSON)
76. Andre Olbrich (BLIND GUARDIAN)
77. Joe Satriani
78. Frank Hannon & Tommy Skeoch (TESLA)
79. Ty Tabor (KING'S X)
80. Mark Morton & Will Adler (LAMB OF GOD)
81. Dino Cazares (FEAR FACTORY)
82. Pete Townshend (THE WHO)
83. Jon Schaffer (ICED EARTH)
84. Timo Tolkki (STRATOVARIUS)
85. Neil Young
86. Abbath Doom Occulta (IMMORTAL)
87. Kai Hansen (GAMMA RAY)
88. Uffe Cederlund & Alex Hellid (ENTOMBED)
89. Leigh Stephens (BLUE CHEER)
90. Jim Martin (FAITH NO MORE)
91. Michael Romeo (SYMPHONY X)
92. Bill Steer (CARCASS)
93. Piggy (VOIVOD)
94. Tony Bourge (BUDGIE)
95. Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN)
96. Alexi Laiho (CHILDREN OF BODOM)
97. Akira Takasaki (LOUDNESS)
98. Michael Angelo
99. John Kay & Michael Monarh (STEPPENWOLF)
100. Nick Bowcott (GRIM REAPER)

many people will disagree with me but ı think Yngwie Malmsteen should be on the top of every rock, metal list after all he is the one who took this guitar virtuosity to a whole insane level that left guitar players around the world speechless.

BAH HAH AHAH AHAH AHAHAH..ROFL.. omg what fucking deformed retard made that list...2,3,9,14,18,23,26,34..dont even deserve to be anywhere near that list on account they dont even know how to fucking play the guitar...why the hell is Michael Angelo way at the bottom..CC deville..what the hell..man I've seen a 12 year old play better than more than half the people on this list..

Most of this list is crap (though still more credible than the RS list), but it is good to see people like MJR, Jim Matheos, and Mikael Akerfeldt getting some recognition...but seeing all those glam guys ahead of them almost cancels this out.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Exactly. That's why I posted it, but I can't resist getting sucked into the bitching about these lists, no matter how hard I try. :tickled:
dah, me neither...k so here goes. :D

74. Michael Amott (ARCH ENEMY)

Where is Chris? They seem to be comfortable doing many other duos?

But I think #55 is my favorite. I love Trey and the music he makes is awesome, no doubt. But sorry Trey, you have a lot of gifts but playing lead is not one of them. The closing track at the end of Heretic is probably the lamest closer I've ever heard.

On the + side good to see Chuck S so high. And for once Hendrix is not #1!!!

I think the list is a bit confused, firstly since when have Page and Lifeson been metal and secondly the guy from Black Sabbath was more of a riff meister than overall virtuoso and I think the list looks at this more.

Surely anybody in the know would have the likes of Romeo, Laiho, Cohen and Forte in the top 10 but as somebody else said it really isn't worth getting worked up about, it's somebody opinion and opinions are like......well you know the rest.

Soulshred - I agree. Hendrix made guitar something cool that your parents hated, made it rock, gave it charisma. Eddie made it something you could be really talented and crazy on. Yngwie made it something you could be a virtuoso on. Those 3 changed the instrument forever.

IMO, Morello broke a lot of ground, and he's a hell of a soloist and riffmeister. I think he deserves his spot. Petrucci's even a fan of the guy.

These mag "lists" are always so stupid. They just come down to popularity polls, really. The only meaningful and true metal musician lists would be compiled by the UM Forum people. So...why don't they ever ask us???? :rolleyes: If I would see one compiled by those who really know, and there would be a few players at the top who I am unfamiliar with, I would say "hmmmm", and check them out, because I would know I'm missing something special.

Glad MJR is in there (somewhere) tho. IMO, should be topping the list.

What's with all this 'and' crap?

Angus and Malcolm Young. Malcolm doesn't do anything, he's a rhythm guitarist, most 1st year guitar players could handle what he has, and usually they do!

Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman. Okay, Dave is a cool guitarist, and even though everything he does is generally just pattern based and doesn't make a lick of sense, it fits somehow. Marty, however, is a genius. He's original and unique and has an amazing sense of melody. These guys don't belong in the same catagory of skill!

I'm glad to see Alexi get some credit, cause he really knows what's up and a lot of people don't recognize it. The same way a lot of people don't recognize how Bodom is leaps and bounds beyond any other Black Metal band, they shouldn't be in the same catagory and on tours with the guys they generally are.

Knight of the Templar said:
Yay! Way to go, André!!!! :cool: :D

And I'm happy for MJR and Laiho, too.. although I do think there are a lot of guys who doesn't deserve to be that high in the list... *cough**cough**cough*hammetthetfield*cough**cough**cough*

Ok, hammett and hetfield doesn't maybe belong that high but you should understand that playing riffs is often harder than soloing, master of puppets CD has some hard riffs, that ask some attitude and strenght to play cleanly.