Oh God! Did anyone see the new guitar world?

RobbM said:
Nothing on this list confused me more than:

"The March 2004 issue of Guitar World magazine includes a list of the 100 greatest heavy metal guitarists as selected by the magazine's staff. A tribute to the great men who shit iron and piss stainless steel razor blades, and do it every time they plug into an amplifier"

and they put Neil Young on this list..in what strange fucked up twilight zone alternate universe is Neil Young razor pissin' heavy fuckin' metal???!?!!?!

And they put Jimi Page + Hendrix up there but no Clapton?!?! and Michael Schenker is on the list but no Uli Jon Roth!?!? Uli is 3000 times better than Michael Schenker..who else on this planet can play a 40 fret 7 string and do Back and Pagannini on it, oh, right, only Uli Jon Roth..Even Malmsteen bows to his godly fretwork....

these editors need to stop doing lines, clean off the dried blood and actually think for once before publishing this magazine..

I really have to stop looking at this list, cause everytime I do I think I have a mild stroke...

and Im done with this too, Ive had my rants, time to move on..

Now the media is trying to brainwash people with this list
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=638&e=1&u=/nm/20040201/en_nm/music_guitar_dc
That also confused me. Other names that confused me where AEROSMITH, BONJOVI, Alex Lifeson (RUSH), Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson (THIN LIZZY),Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce (ALICE COOPER), Brian May (QUEEN), Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS) and Pete Townshend (THE WHO), how can these be considered Metal??? I understand some of those bands might of influenced Metal artists but they are no where close to being Metal.......

The guy who in my opinion blows all of those guys away is Bumblefoot (Ron Thal). IMO he is the most inventive rock/metal guitar player to come along since Vai expanded on what Eddie was doing......Thal even got a thanks in the liner notes of The Odyssey. And Holdsworth should be in the top 3 as well.

Taliwakker said:
The guy who in my opinion blows all of those guys away is Bumblefoot (Ron Thal). IMO he is the most inventive rock/metal guitar player to come along since Vai expanded on what Eddie was doing......Thal even got a thanks in the liner notes of The Odyssey. And Holdsworth should be in the top 3 as well.
Holdsworth is defineately one of the best players in the world, but he's not a heavy metal player, so he wouldn't belong to that list (same with Gambale, Garsed, Howe, Lane, Henderson, Kotzen, Morse etc.).
Ron Thal, hmm - scary chops, but I can't stand his albums; his 8 finger tapping stuff is insane and everything, but often he just makes strange noises with his guitar, which might be fucking hard to do, but sound like shit, and his "songs" are defineately too comedy for me.

It was very nice to see Mike Romeo at least on the list, same goes for Ty Tabor who is another great guitarist who doesnt get the credit he derserves. Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Ty Tabor, Mike Romeo, The boys from Opeth (Mike and Peter) should have all been higher :hotjump:

I can't believe Satriani is 77? Michael Angelo at 99? At least they made the list. Some of the really great guitarists listed in my opinion are:

Romeo (of course), Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Vai, Satriani, Angelo, Nuno Bettencourt, Dimebag Darrel ( on the 1rst two pantera albums only), Randy Rhodes, Yngwie, and a few others I guess. The guys from Korn? They aren't in the top 1000!

Taliwakker said:

grandbazaar said:
That also confused me. Other names that confused me where AEROSMITH, BONJOVI, Alex Lifeson (RUSH), Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson (THIN LIZZY),Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce (ALICE COOPER), Brian May (QUEEN), Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS) and Pete Townshend (THE WHO), how can these be considered Metal??? I understand some of those bands might of influenced Metal artists but they are no where close to being Metal.......

Paul Adrian Villarreal said:
Oh PUKE! I agree with whoever said these lists are stupid!!! But now that I've SEEN it, it's even MORE ridiculous! I don't know HOW they figured this order, but the criteria certainly had nothing to do with guitar playing...or even METAL for that matter. I understand including people who might not BE metal, but influenced metal (for example, I can live with Iommi, Page & Nugent being in there) but then where are all the Jazz fusion guys that had major influence?! No DiMeola, Holdsworth, MacLaughlin. Where are Zappa and Mike Keneally?

Oh yeah, and one more of MY personal favs. ...WHERE is Tore Ostby? I won't even go into how many people on that list that I think DON'T belong!

One more thing, then I'm done with this...is there anyone out there who really, honestly likes Kirk Hammet's guitar playing? (I mean musicians) I just don't get why he gets so much credit?

that's all.

Paul Adrian
http://wooden-badger.com

OfSinsAndShred said:
Soulshred - I agree. Hendrix made guitar something cool that your parents hated, made it rock, gave it charisma. Eddie made it something you could be really talented and crazy on. Yngwie made it something you could be a virtuoso on. Those 3 changed the instrument forever.

you read my fucking mind