ok, what do you guys think of Soilwork

BiatchGuy

tired and rundown
Apr 3, 2002
Natural Born Chaos is great.. Dunno if it's as good as A Predator's Portrait though; they set the bar pretty damned high with that one.

Opinions on this fine band?

Who told you the earlier stuff was better? All the opinions I've read are the exact opposite.

I don't have their first one but apparently it's a shameless clone of At The Gates' stuff..

Chainheart Machine is good and has some GREAT solos.. but the hooks aren't fully developed.

A Predator's Portrait has it all. Great solos, great riffs, cool keyboards, choruses that are catchy as fuck!

and then there's Natural Born Chaos which has the band focusing more on the choruses and improving their songwriting skills. Some of the stuff on the previous albums was a bit.. drawn-out.

It was probably me.

I hate APP, it is terrible generic swedish death/thrash. Pathetic, considering what they are capable of... Steelbath Suicide was their best album, just listen to DEMON IN VEINS, and tell me that this is not better that their new "Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Solo, Chorus" albums.

Chainheart Machine is okay, but it is nowhere near as powerful as SBS...

Agreed on both those things liquidman...

The music was better in their older stuff... not as simple, not as generic.

The singing STILL sucks.. but not as bad now.

how different opinions on the same matter exist...

I love Chainheart Machine because it has the best guitar and drum work...APP is more technical and has more catchy singing...
The new one is too radio friendly I believe...No more fast songs and the riffing is too simple...almost the worst from all their albums...But they have more catchy songs...So i have to admit I prefer their previous albums even the songs that sound like At the Gates...

Concerning the brutal vocs I believe that they are awesome...And I'm copying them in my band in many parts of our songs...
The clean vocs on the other hand are improved a lot but I'm getting tired of them ...

I haven't heard the earlier stuff but I really like the last two albums and I prefer the Natural Born Chaos.

I don't know what kind of radio stations you guys have been listening to.

....reminds me of those people who call Cradle Of Filth "mainstream" :rolleyes:

I mean.. sure... Soilwork and COF would probably be radio-friendly bands, if they played extreme metal on the radio.

Originally posted by BiatchGuy
I don't know what kind of radio stations you guys have been listening to.

....reminds me of those people who call Cradle Of Filth "mainstream" :rolleyes:

I mean.. sure... Soilwork and COF would probably be radio-friendly bands, if they played extreme metal on the radio.

yah no shit
how are they radio friendly?
morbid angel is more radio friendly by default because they get videos played on TV

not "harping on people"

just wondering how some around these folks (and in metal listening circles in general) come to the conclusion that certain bands that radio or TV wouldn't touch in a million years are "mainstream" or "radio friendly" because they've got some hooks in the music

Like the way people said Dead Heart In A Dead World or Clayman were sellout albums. It makes no sense.

now.....

there ARE some underground and obscure metal bands I would call radio-friendly; Skinlab for example. They're basically a nu-metal band on an underground label. They're touring with Kittie I think, so I wouldn't be surprised if they started getting play on alternative and mainstream rock stations.

COF and Soilwork though.. whatever. Especially COF. Just because Hot Topic sells your t-shirts does not make you a mainstream band.

yeah, it's a store chock-ful of "trendy" and "edgy" stuff.

some "twu-metal" geeks treat it the way satanists treat a church. unholy ground :rolleyes:

personally I don't have a problem with it. I've bought a few things there before.

Yes. Soilwork would fit nicely on MTV, especially with songs like 'Structure Divine'.

They are no heavier or extreme than linkin park or korn...