Old Rake

Snyde

Morph Manipulator
Oct 8, 2009
Marseille, Fr
So, I think we are all aware of Ol leaving Evile and all that so there should be some kind of thread about his solo stuff. I'm assuming most people here will be interested in what that fine gentleman is up to.

He has a website:
http://www.oldrake.co.uk/

What are you expecting to come out of Ol's solo adventure? Will it be close to his sound in Evile or will he be going places no man has gone before?

I'm personally hoping for the second one, to be honest..

I'll be sure to look for it when it is released. :headbang:
I read some of the info on his website. Funny that Ol cites Annihilator as an influence. When I saw Evile a crazy drunk metalhead stumbled into me and mentioned that he thought Evile sounded like Annihilator. :lol:

I'd love to hear Ol play something completely different than Evile. I'm curious to see what it would sound like.

I think I remember him saying on facebook he was bringing in a bunch of guests. I wonder who he'll call up...

Kinda expecting the same heaviness from him as with Evile, but who knows. I loved those piano pieces he made, so i've even be content with just more of that.

So in reality, I guess i'm just expecting something that'll be great.

It's rad. We all know Ol is an amazing guitarist though... (EDIT: This is kind of unrelated, and I didn't want to post it in the thread about Piers because I don't want a big song and dance made about it, as I really don't want to sound like a cock / knock anyone - but I saw a video of him playing a couple of Ol's licks on facebook the other day, and I know it's still early days for him, but it just wasn't right... I don't mean a couple of notes were off, it's just weird hearing someone else play Ol's parts... and if I'm honest I'm not sure if it'll be the same. I don't know, I wanted to say something on the forum about it but I just think it's kind of pointless - and totally the place. A little regretful about it and refraining from saying "I wish Ol would return" but, rant over. Good luck to Piers and the rest of the band. *Pulls tongue out of Ols ass*)

Anyway! Back on topic! This song's got a real Satriani vibe, for me. Can't wait to hear the final thing and the rest of the album.

Also, if there are any guests I'd love a full song of Ol Vs Jeff Waters. Ultra fun trade off guitar duel stylie! ;)

More than Satriani, I hear Jeff Waters all over it. The soloing is good enough but the rythm didn't do much for me (as it tends to happen in shred records).

Surprised this topic hasn't been updated...although that may be due to lack of forum activity.

I have been listening to the new album on spotify and I dig it. Ol can play the hell out of that guitar...plus the song titles are hilarious.