Old School COUNTRY! only read if you're open minded!

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
I haven't posted in a while and here's why. (In case anyone gives a shit) I have been burnt out on not just metal but music in general. That is until yesterday. Picked up the new LORETTA LYNN cd, VAN LEAR ROSE! This thing is great. I strongly urge and plead ANY country fans out there to pick this one up. You will NOT be disappointed. It is the real deal and every song, written by Loretta, will flat out bring you to tears and make you say, HELL YEAH! The title track is insanely great. If you liked JOHNNY CASH doing all the Rick Rubin produced stuff then this is the disc for you. I think it's my favorite cd of the year so far. I know this ain't METAL...but give it a chance if you want something "earthy". it'll make you feel the summer and love the land!

Now back to my tall cold one
Ted

Even though my record and CD collection will show that I am in fact a metal and hard rock nut, believe it or not, i'm open to any music. The problem is, back in the stage of my life when i was looking for music that suits me, i was into genres for a little, and that's it. Nothing lasting. Or i just simply hated the music. Rap lasted a few years for me, and i still have respect for the rappers i used to like, and hell, i actually like that new OutKast album!!! But i found hard rock, and especially METAL. it spoke to me, it stuck with me, and i'm into this music much more than any other genre i have ever dabbled in. Rap started sounding boring and not as exciting to me to the point where i just gave up on it altogether. Metal is simply my genre of choice and i like it more than any other genre out there. Trust me, i've explored the music pallette enough to know.

Now, with that said, i do have a soft spot for old school Outlaw Country, like Merle Haggard, Hank Williams sr, and Johnny Cash. Folsom Prison Blues is the greatest country song EVER!!

I have no problem with artists that kick ass at what they do. Often times I don't like it, but I respect it. John Denver is the ultimate example. Country rednecks didn't even like that guy. I would rather take an ass-whooping than hear him sing beacause he sucks, but he was a monster acoustic guitar player.

Bryant

Johnny Cash is the man! His song "hurt" is one of the most heavy songs I ever heard. I heard his "Live at San Quentin" back in 1969 when my headmaster celebrated his birthday. He let us hear his new stereophonic record player! :)

Among the artists he let us hear were "The Beatles, The Stones, Johnny Cash, The Who, Jimmy Hendrix!! and many other. I was 11 at that time and I loved it! His birthday was on April 30th I still remember him on that day.

Anyway, I learned to apreciate the rougher side of country or outlaw country as it is being called sometimes. Early in the 80s one of my best friends was a musician and he played all sorts of styles including country. He let me hear Waylong Jennings and other more recent performers. I liked a few of them, although not as much as I like metal, but Johnny Cash is still the man as far as I am concerend.

sixxswine said:
Old TVF has sent me some stuff on JC & the original dixie flag wavin' neck himself
David Allen Coe...
That's some true neck shit!
So maybe you don't hate country music at all :)

Hawk said:
Johnny Cash is the man! His song "hurt" is one of the most heavy songs I ever heard. I heard his "Live at San Quentin" back in 1969 when my headmaster

"Hurt" was actually a cover tune from Nine Inch Nails, but John Cash's balls were the size of my head. He did what he wanted to do. I consider him a folk artist, not a coutry artist. I love that song btw. NIN might be the originators of the song, but I would bet money Cash blew their version away.

Bryant

Hawk said:
Anyway, I learned to apreciate the rougher side of country or outlaw country as it is being called sometimes. .
I have always appreciated Chrlie Daniels. He had one patriotic song called "In America" where his lyrics included "just try to lay your hands on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan." To those not in America, that doesn't really mean much, but much like in England, people in the North of the US and people in The South have a different culture. Charlie is from The South and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is in the North. That football team is known to have really die-hard fans though and though Charlie was making a song to a Southern audience, he had the balls to mention a Northern (yankee) team.

Bryant