Older Tube Peaveys

AllanD

boom tap boom-boom tap
Jul 2, 2008
Houston
Hey guys, I'm thinking of investing in one of older tube peavey models.

Peavey Ultra
Peavey Ultra +
Peavey VTM
Peavey Butcher

These amps are UGLY as fuck :puke:, but from what I'm hearing on youtube, they sound pretty awesome! Any one have any postive/negative feedback?

Had the butcher as my first head as a teen - never liked the tone. Clean channel really flat and boring, and barely any useable gain (for metal that is). The only good thing, it's LOUD so I just used a POD as my preamp.

The Ultras are awesome, predecessors to the XXX, I'd pass on the others from what I've seen/heard!

Ultras are great bang-for-the-buck. I wish I still had mine, actually. I've heard VTM 60s sound absolutely monsterous, too. I think the secret with those is the dip switch settings.

Ultras are great bang-for-the-buck. I wish I still had mine, actually. I've heard VTM 60s sound absolutely monsterous, too. I think the secret with those is the dip switch settings.

Yeah, I REALLY liked what I heard from the ultra's. Apparently they're like 300 used! Almost like a poor man's 5150. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for those :kickass:

The Ultras are awesome, predecessors to the XXX, I'd pass on the others from what I've seen/heard!

Yep I used to have the Ultra plus 120 with the logo that lights up, you can even use the xxx footswitch on it. Great sounding amp! The rest you mentioned are junk, Ive tried them in my local guitar store when they came in used.

My drummer plays guitar sometimes too. He used to have an Ultra. I played through it before and it was pretty cool. Not as cool as my 5150 though. But I normally play the 5150 with a tube screamer and the ultra didn't have one hooked up.

The ultra is a great deal. My drummer payed like $250 for his.