Olympics?

DuchessOfDork

Feb 9, 2009
Anyone watching the Olympics? Anyone have favorite events? Personally, I love all the events that feature huge women. Super heavyweight lifting is my favorite... (This is Lulu Zhou, who won the gold for China!)

...but I'm also a big fan of the shot-put!

Observe...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really into it last time. I think due to USA mens football/soccer not competing my interest has waned a bit. Last time I was watching archery, table tennis, sports like those.. i can't remember all but I was really into those type of sports. This year its womens beach volleyball (entertaining in not just the obvious way.. especially that usa vs spain match), womens football/soccer (semi finals were good ones) and currently watching Russia vs brazil womens volleyball. I have no interest in swimming/trackfield and basketball is a joke in the olympics.

Anybody know if replays will be up after the olympics are over?

Unfortunately, I just don't see any other team in the world coming close to beating ours. If they did, I think it would be much more entertaining.

USA 99 - 94 Lithuania

You really going to give me the "nobody comes even close" to us thing? Remember what happened in 2004...

I've been enjoying what little coverage of the Equestrian sports NBC has been airing. Thanks to my work schedule, I'm actually home during the day to catch the footage they choose to air.

You really going to give me the "nobody comes even close" to us thing?

No no, I'm not saying we're the greatest ever, ect. I'm just saying that the few Olympic basketball games I've seen have been pretty sad. I watched our men's team play France and I think Nigeria? We had a lead by more than 30.. eesh.

Unfortunately, I just don't see any other team in the world coming close to beating ours. If they did, I think it would be much more entertaining.

This is the same reason they nixed baseball and softball. Basketball should be the next to go.

This is the same reason they nixed baseball and softball. Basketball should be the next to go.

That's just silly. The US may dominate but the world is getting much better, the Russia/Brazil game from a few nights ago was one of the best basketball games I've ever seen.

I love watching the Olympics; it's about as much sports as I can handle for 4 years. Well, then the World Cup.

My favorite events are men's synchronized platform diving, pommel horse, rings, and parallel bars, the men's and women's 100m run, rowing, a bunch that I'd love to see but never can: shot put, javelin, judo, fencing, and what happened to speed skating?

NBC's coverage has been abysmal, and the commentary is even worse. I enjoy the Olympics to watch the BEST competitors make HISTORY, not to blindly cheer for US athletes just because they're from a city somewhere in my vast country. I don't need 5 different telecast of volleyball, which should also be the striking list for stupid sports to get cut. Same with the equestrian events. *ducks*

I should have bought a one-month cable subscription just for this. Perhaps then I'd get to see more than 30% of the events.

Not to mention, it's just a fucking ridiculous sport if you can even call it that.

Well, the Olympics used to be more then just athleticism. There used to be poetry, too! Of course, this was in ancient Greece... but table tennis is still kinda fun to watch.

So are equestrian events... ;)

The only thing I "hate" about table tennis is when when last time I think one of the medal matches was from two different countries but they we're both asian. Coincidence maybe, but its also the same reason why I think that a USA vs USA gold match is lame as hell (not mentioning the sport in a attempt to avoid spoilers)

NBC's coverage has been abysmal, and the commentary is even worse. I enjoy the Olympics to watch the BEST competitors make HISTORY, not to blindly cheer for US athletes just because they're from a city somewhere in my vast country. I don't need 5 different telecast of volleyball, which should also be the striking list for stupid sports to get cut. Same with the equestrian events. *ducks*

I'll add going in from the end of one match of one sport to the middle (say the second set of a beach volleyball game) sucks. "If you're just joining us now" It seems as there are few channels this time then there were last time, though last time around I may have been watching more online. So has trying to find the right time for an event on nbcolympics. I've pretty much been watching anything thats on msnbc i think it is.

The only thing I "hate" about table tennis is when when last time I think one of the medal matches was from two different countries but they we're both asian. Coincidence maybe, but its also the same reason why I think that a USA vs USA gold match is lame as hell (not mentioning the sport in a attempt to avoid spoilers)

Women's Beach Volleyball?

(Plus why are you worried about spoilers? It's the olympics, it's all over the news already :p)

I'll add going in from the end of one match of one sport to the middle (say the second set of a beach volleyball game) sucks. "If you're just joining us now" It seems as there are few channels this time then there were last time, though last time around I may have been watching more online. So has trying to find the right time for an event on nbcolympics. I've pretty much been watching anything thats on msnbc i think it is.

I just find it ridiculous that television coverage of sports in the USA is plagued by commercials even when the game/sport event hasn't stopped. I mean seriously, commercials during a soccer match should be during HALF TIME!!! A Nascar/Formula 1/Whatever race should NOT HAVE COMMERCIALS EVERY FIVE MINUTES!

Also, agreed on the whole not broadcasting the whole match either... it's ridiculous.

Also, "let's shift from the basketball semi-finals between 'Australia x Spain' (picked random countries here) so that we can watch the first round of shooting and root for our American shooter "Insert-Name-Here".

The whole idea of making a sport "more interesting" because there's a competitor for your country in it is absurd. I'd never want to stop watching a soccer game between Italy and USA to watch a swimming event because there's a Brazilian swimming that day. It's just ridiculous.