The Olympics

AMBR

Metal Grandma
Mar 12, 2003
New Jersey
Surprised there's no discussion on this. Am I the only Olympic obsessive on the board? I just love The Games, but especially the Winter Games. Hate to start this thread off with a beef, BUT:

The absolutely worst thing about the Olympic Games is the US television coverage and NBC is taking it to new lows of limitations and schmaltz. First, I believe we are possibly the ONLY country that CANNOT watch the events when they actually run, OR even see all of the events. Case in point was the Men's Dowhill. This is one of my favorite events and I struggled the whole day to avoid tweets, emails, posts and the like to avoid the results until "prime time" so I could enjoy the drama. But NO! NBC chose to show only four, yes FOUR competitors out of a field of over 60. There was no build up or drama, just four guys skied (out of order) and bang, it was over. :erk: Oh, but NBC did make time out for a cute little segment on polar bears in Canada. WTF! :mad:

I HATE being limited to what NBC thinks we want to see, RE what will make them the most advertising dollars. And speaking of advertisements, there are just so many it totally disrupts the flow of the events. And that nonsense with the Viking cartoons to promote the dragon movie is just so annoying. Hey, I like Viking metal, but this is just to cheesy for the Olympics.

The hubby and I decided next Olympics we are going to plan an Olympic trip to Canada - regardless of where the games actually are. That way we can watch Canadian coverage of The Games, which is more timely and more intelligent.

Ok, enough of that rant. On to the games.

Wow, the women's hockey teams for Canada and the U.S. are ridiculously dominant. It wasn't that surprising that CA beat Slovakia, 18-0, but the U.S. totally dominated Russia 13-0, and they clearly held back in the third period, something the Canadians did not do. I know that the women's programs in North America are stronger and the girls get to play against higher caliber players, including guys, but it seems no contest in most of the games.

Can't wait to watch the men play. Norway seemed to put up a good fight at first, but Canada eventually overwhelmed them. Sweden seems to be the only other country that might knock off the top two. Maybe Finland can be a spoiler.

Was hard to watch the luge for both men and women since the fatality. Also knowing that the course has been dumbed down as a result, steals some of the excitement. Granted, it needed to be adjusted, but all the athletes say it's way too easy now.

As a skier, I had to put aside my resentment towards snowboarding years ago, and I'm glad I did. They have some of the most exciting events! I love the cross and watching them battle each other physically, but really, Shawn White is going to be the main event. Can't wait to see him tear it up.

How does ski high jump and cross country skiing mix to be a sport? Interesting even though, but it seems to mix too totally different strengths. Guess that's the beauty of it?

Have to say, poor Vancouver really seems to be struggling with conditions these games. I guess it's just the rain and warm weather, but there just seems to have been so many mishaps, and slow results due to crappy courses in many of the sports. Hope they get a cold spell soon.

So, is anyone else watching?

I love watching elite athletes. I don't care who wins, so I don't care for TV coverage. Only person I'm actually rooting for is Zach Lund in the skeleton. That's because I know people who know him.

Just as with the summer Olympics, if I want to watch an event I watch it online. Much more exciting this way. http://www.nbcolympics.com/

I get it because of DirecTV. Guessing they don't provide it for antenna only folks? I imagine they do for Comcast...

I'd love to watch, but as you might have seen on my FB status, NBC blocked me from everything BUT the highlights, this time around. So I'm not watching or keeping up with anything.
Well, that sucks. I've got Optimum Cable by default, since I can't have anything else. I need a convertor box for each TV at $8 a month to get anything but the basics. So, I have one TV to watch most of the games.

I used to watch all the figure skating when I was younger but I'm just not into the winter Olympics anymore. The only thing I even have any interest in watching is curling.

Which means I need to bring this up from last winter Olympics:

Also, you can watch a lot of events on NBC.com - it's how I watched a lot of the Summer Olympics.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/live-full-replays.html
But it looks like they've made it so you need to login to your cable provider to be able to view content which wasn't so with the Summer Olympics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to be able to watch the Canadian curlers. They're kicking ass! Unfortunately, I'm stuck watching the Americans lose.

Snowboard cross was pretty fun.

I'd love to be able to watch the Canadian curlers. They're kicking ass! Unfortunately, I'm stuck watching the Americans lose.

Snowboard cross was pretty fun.

I'm watching Sweden - Switzerland right now.

Hearts On Fire, Hearts On Fire
Burning, burning with desire

There are several NBC owned cable outlets where you can see TONS of coverage. It just isn't on the OTA NBC channel. I've seen events on USA network, CNBC, and Universal HD.

Also, I heard a rumor that you can pick up Canada's feed from the CTV network via a website called Justin.TV. I haven't checked it out yet, but let us know if it does work.

I get it because of DirecTV. Guessing they don't provide it for antenna only folks? I imagine they do for Comcast...

Nope, not this time around, they only do it for their affiliate cable networks and the DeathStar u-verse subscribers. The only problem, and I wrote and told them about it under their suggestions mail, is that I'm not going to change my subscription just for the Olympics. I'd be willing to pay for their online feed, but not another $40 just so I can have cable or more DeathStar service.

But NO! NBC chose to show only four, yes FOUR competitors out of a field of over 60. There was no build up or drama, just four guys skied (out of order) and bang, it was over. :erk: Oh, but NBC did make time out for a cute little segment on polar bears in Canada. WTF! :mad:

B-B-B-B-But the polar bears are cute and supposedly endangered!
NBC has to exploit their plight!
(Never mind the fact that they survived all the way through the Pleistocene Maximum, when the temperatures were much warmer than they are now, and for centuries..... :erk: )

I don't get to watch much on TV nowadays anyway, but I've been watching a few Olympic events online. I've got a soft spot for the Games since I was downtown a lot here for the Atlanta Games....plus, there's an amazing amount of history involved in them, too, going back even further than Alexander the Great's time.

Wow! Shaun White! Just amazing. Here this guy kicks everyone's ass for the gold medal in his first run with a score of 46.8 out of 50. Then he's standing at the top of the pipe waiting for his second run, watches the last guys go, and realizes he's won. No need for a second run, but hey, you gotta get down anyway, right? What should he do? Pull out the stops and score a record breaking 48.4 of course. Watch the video. It was intense! Glad he's a likable guy too, not like some of the stuck up pricks and prima donnas. That was totally an Olympic highlight for me.

In addition, we blessed by NBC with better coverage of the women's downhill ski race. We were "allowed" to see a good percentage of the upper level competitors, and it was, well, terrifying. The course at Whistler was pure enamel; way to fast, hard and dangerous. As a skier, I had my heart in my throat knowing all too well how hard it is to maintain an edge and control in conditions like that and I only achieve probably a quarter of the speed the Olympians were reaching. There were multiple crashes that were just sickening to watch. Luckily, no serious injuries. In the end, US skier, Lindsy Vonn delivered a nail-biter of a run despite a painfully injured shin which had her skiing on one leg at times, to grab the gold. Her reaction after was almost as heart stopping as her performance.

Overall, it was the best night of the Olympics yet. Hope some of you got to see it. I'm going to check out that Justin TV now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, the women's hockey teams for Canada and the U.S. are ridiculously dominant. It wasn't that surprising that CA beat Slovakia, 18-0, but the U.S. totally dominated Russia 13-0, and they clearly held back in the third period, something the Canadians did not do. I know that the women's programs in North America are stronger and the girls get to play against higher caliber players, including guys, but it seems no contest in most of the games.

Speaking of Women's Hockey Domination, I think you need to see this. And no, it's not a joke. The Qualifying Medal Rounds can be determined by Goals For. This is the reason scores run up so high. I heard the chinese women almost beat the Finnish Women's team.

Have to say, poor Vancouver really seems to be struggling with conditions these games. I guess it's just the rain and warm weather, but there just seems to have been so many mishaps, and slow results due to crappy courses in many of the sports. Hope they get a cold spell soon.

It's been a nightmare for them since the Luge Accident and the Opening Ceremonies that first night. Between that, all of the athletes falling in all of these events, the poor ice conditions inside for speed skating, the warm weather, the terrible course designs, not giving athletes ample practice time (weather conditions or otherwise), and everything else, this is not an Olympics to remember in a positive light, that's for sure.

Of course, watching Lindsey Vohn win last night in womens downhill skiing was incredible. She got her gold, and I hope she starts pulling out of other events. She looked like she was in really bad pain at the end. Watching some of the other skaters falling 50 feet from the finish line was heartbreaking. Watching the one girl fall 3 strides out of the start almost made me cry. 4 years of prep work and you fall 15' out of the gate, before even one hill. Ugh.

Shaun White is just insane. His vertical height on the pipe made me sit up and say "WOW." But then, in his for fun run, when he was standing at the top and said he wanted to just skate down the middle, I had to LOL at that. I'm glad he didn't though, his low flying double backflip McTwist was just sick. He didn't get any air on it and was able to pull it off? Really? God damn. 48.5 indeed.

The 2nd japanese guy, I don't remember his name, but he had silver all wrapped up and just missed the landing on his last trick and fell, 5 feet from out of the pipe. The Finnish guy crashing halfway through his run too, its like these guys feel they need to push the envelope so far that it's just too much. Good times though.

I'll be rooting for Canada and the US in Men's hockey. I think Canada needs to win the gold though, in their own sport, much as I'd like to see Ryan Miller take it home.

There are several NBC owned cable outlets where you can see TONS of coverage. It just isn't on the OTA NBC channel. I've seen events on USA network, CNBC, and Universal HD..

This is nice for you rich bastards that have Cable TV, but for those of us who only go Over the Air, because we refuse to pay $70 a month to watch 4 channels, we don't get to see those ;)

This is nice for you rich bastards that have Cable TV, but for those of us who only go Over the Air, because we refuse to pay $70 a month to watch 4 channels, we don't get to see those ;)

Clearly you have a pretty crappy cable company in your area. :lol:

Well, you can always get DirecTV or Dish Network if you don't like Cox (I'm assuming that's what you guys have out there in Phoenix)

Getting back on topic though.... I do agree.. we are kicking ass and taking names... Awesome stuff from Lindsey, Shaun, Apolo, Hannah, etc. Go Team USA! :headbang::kickass:

Huge fan of the O's here, however I find it almost impossible to watch due to the extremely shitty coverage. You basically have to watch what is on at the time. To plan ahead is a fucking nightmare... Looking forward to the Sweden - Belarus hockey game Friday (if I can find the bastard...)

I want to try curling.

I really really really want to try curling. I even Wiki'd to understand the whole damn game, and now I'm even more fascinated. This game looks HARD to perfect and master. Those Norwegians can freakin kill.

Also, last night's hockey match between Russia and Slovakia was STELLAR. Most NHL playoffs games don't get THIS dire and drastic and physically demanding! It's true, every single game is a must-win in these games. You lose once, it has a huge impact on your mental game and throws all kinds of doubt and nervousness in there. I'm quite sure Canadia will get the gold, but USA had BETTER get the silver, the way they're playing!

I'ma go shopping for a Team USA jersey. These guys deserve some REPRESENTIN' after this year!