The Olympics

ugh...disheartening game. i was feeling the comeback...my buddy legit called the goal (even its progression-around behind the net, blocked shot, then rebound from right infront of goal) and he said it would happen with like 25 seconds left...happened with 22 or 24 i think hahah.

oh well...USA tied for 3rd in gold medals and got most silver/bronze, and overall medals. great game though

I just LOVE how Aki (pollution) isn't talking hockey anymore. :lol:
Haha.. well in the end after the ridiculous game against the US (we should not talk more about that one though, there's nothing to say about how bad we were in the 1st period!) I'm really happy how the Olympics hockey went for Finland.

We got the 4th ice hockey medal from the last 5 Olympics (and we have more medals than any other team has had since the NHL players have been in). With all the best players around I'd say it was quite an achievement to be the best-placed European team of the tournament. Like half of the Finnish team played their last ever national team games and they all seemed to be real happy to end their national team career in this fashion too :)

canslide12.jpg

Sure, which yesterday became:

crying-baby.jpg

From George R.R. Martin's non-blog (and I agree with pretty much every word):
Parris and I watched a fair amount of the Winter Olympics. 'twas okay. Some stirring moments, some excitement, drama, grace, all that.

Some of these sports are silly, though. I mean, really. Two man luge? The top guy lying on the bottom guy, both of them flat on their backs, careening down an ice chute? Why not eight-man luge? Just stack 'em up, keeping the stack together would be real exciting.

And really -- this one is going to get me in trouble, I know -- if you don't know who won until some judge holds up a card or enters a number on a computer, it's not a sport. Now listen. I am not saying it doesn't require incredible skill, grace, strength, what have you. I am not saying the participants are not athletes, even. I am certainly not saying this stuff should not exist. But it's not a sport. I mean, really. Ice dancing? Dancing is an art. Has been an art for thousands of years. Doing it on ice doesn't change that. And when it's Russians dressed up as faux Australian aborigines or Americans ice dancing a Moldavian folk dance, it's REALLY not a sport.

All these judged "sports" are too subjective. A real sport may require umps or refs, but you know who won when the contest is over. We didn't have to sit around after the SuperBowl saying, "well, the Saints scored more points, but the Colts attempted more long passes, so their degree of difficulty was harder, and the judges will certainly give Dwight Feeney points for that triple spin move, even though he didn't get the sack. It could be close..."

I propose a new sport for the next Winter Olympics. A REAL sport. Ice football. Played exactly the same way as real (American) football, except everyone is on ice skates. I mean, we have field hockey and ice hockey, why not field football and ice football? Just think of the excitement as Peyton Manning skates backward to get off the pass and those speed skaters on the D-line come flashing after him while his wideouts do spins and triple axels trying to lose the CBs... most exciting sport EVER!!!

I always say garbage goals count just as much, but you have to admit, that was all luck. I would've liked it better if it had been ANYONE else. I groaned when I saw it was him. Lol. BTW, Sabres fan. ;)

Haha yes it was all luck, and I do understand the ever growing anti-Crosby movement (I think he'd be the ultimate player if he didn't whine everytime he hit the ice). Nonetheless, here in the great white north, he is an official 22 year old hockey legend.

And hey, at least Sabres fans can take away Miller's play from this Olympics. As a Leafs fan I got: Kessel doing nothing at all; Wilson showing he CAN coach professional hockey, unless his team is utterly useless; knowing Miller is going to be in our division for the team down the QEW for a long time; and the feeling the whole time that new favorite Phaneuf should be on team Canada, if he hadn't turned into a Hollywood playboy who happens to play hockey.

But still I stand by the Toronto Maple Leafs offical pledge: We'll Get 'Em Next Year!

Back OT, as a Canadian I do believe USA was the best team of the tournament. They didn't lose in regulation and also won the points battle, based on NHL rankings, in fewer games than Canada. It's too bad it's a one game elimination tourney, I think a 7 game series would be retardedly epic. And over 7 games, I think Canada would prove it's worth ;)

Haha yes it was all luck, and I do understand the ever growing anti-Crosby movement (I think he'd be the ultimate player if he didn't whine everytime he hit the ice). Nonetheless, here in the great white north, he is an official 22 year old hockey legend.

Fair. I liked Crosby for a while, and then he opened his mouth. Maybe he'll learn to harden the fuck up and be more like Lemieux than Gretzky? Lets hope. Speaking of Wayne, isn't it awesome how as soon as he quit the Yotes are doing better? Hehe.

And hey, at least Sabres fans can take away Miller's play from this Olympics.

And Lindy's coaching to a Gold Medal. :) Miller has always been incredible, and I remember watching Luongo play on Florida before anyone else really got a look at him and thinking "wow, this guy is going to be amazing." I'm glad I was right. It was nice to see the torch passed down from Brodeur.[/quote]

As a Leafs fan I got:

We can't be friends anymore. Fucking Leaf fans, invading the HSBC Arena, getting piss drunk and screaming obscenities... UGH. Couldn't even enjoy a Buffalo Victory over the Leafs half the time hahaha.

Kessel doing nothing at all; Wilson showing he CAN coach professional hockey, unless his team is utterly useless;

Sorry dude. I love it when the Leafs fail. :)

knowing Miller is going to be in our division for the team down the QEW for a long time;

The QEW!!! Ok, we can totally be friends again, just for that reference. Hail, neighbor to the north.

But still I stand by the Toronto Maple Leafs offical pledge: We'll Get 'Em Next Year!

Didn't this start in 1967? :lol: ... I take it you're a fan of The Tragically Hip's "50 Mission Cap"?

Back OT, as a Canadian I do believe USA was the best team of the tournament. They didn't lose in regulation and also won the points battle, based on NHL rankings, in fewer games than Canada. It's too bad it's a one game elimination tourney, I think a 7 game series would be retardedly epic. And over 7 games, I think Canada would prove it's worth ;)

I would have LOVED to see even a 3 game series. I think the best part of Olympic Hockey is that it's an All Star Game with checking :D

As a hockey fan the men's gold medal game was awesome... And like some others, I just wish Crosby hadn't scored the GWG.. THAT killed me...

Knowledgable hockey fans will know that the US wasn't even suppose to be a medal contender this year 'cause our team was mostly young guys.. We walked away with silver - yeah, 2nd is the 1st loser but when everyone said we wouldn't be there in the first place, not so bad :) However, I felt for the USA team - to have to stand on the ice and be surrounded by that after losing in OT.. God that had to be incredibly difficult (did anyone else see some of 'em try to leave the ice and they were turned back??) The look on Parise's face and the interview with Miller afterwards were rough...

It was good to see Canada win their sport - it was. That place went absolutely nucking futs... And it could be awhile before the Winter Olympics are held again on Canadian sole.. so that was pretty much a one time chance and the guys on that team were lucky enough to experience it. I hope they remember that... (I still think Green got the shaft!!!!)

Great game - torn on the outcome.. Imagine how devastated Canada would've been if the US came back and took that game from them... It was good for the sport as a whole - and there's always next time ;)

I do understand the ever growing anti-Crosby movement (I think he'd be the ultimate player if he didn't whine everytime he hit the ice).

I think Buttman will rue the day he "installed" Crosby as the Golden Boy of the NHL.

Hell, I'm a Wings fan, and even *I* want the Leafs to finally win one. :lol:

That or those big blow up beavers they rolled out during the Closing Ceremonies :p

"If you're Canadian, show me your beaver!"

nickel.jpg