On Reunions

Carcassian

Utopian Blaster
Oct 6, 2005
The Fens
So, the Anthrax renunion has been and gone, and many other bands have done so recently (Death Angel and Heaven and Hell a.k.a Diosabbath spring to mind).

I noticed recently in an interview that the Cavalera brothers were mooting an all inclusive Sepultura reunion (with all their singers, past and present etc).

What are your views on reunions ? Which have worked, which haven't, and is there ever a future for reunited bands ?

I dont mind the Re-union thing, its good for kids to finally get a chance to see bands for the first time,.. maybe bands do it for the Dollar Sign, whatever!! as long as the end product is of some quality, im happy..

The Re-union ive really got my eye on is Van Halen, i love the Roth era, but with quotes like "we are better than ever now" from Eddie, i cant help but think im about to witness a train wreck, catch my drift?:erk:

Cheers

Matty..:kickass:

For me, it depends on the reunion. Some have gone better than others. Van Halen has been a train wreck, from what I've seen. How many reunions has it been now? And, to be honest, how is it a reunion without the bassist?!?

I wasn't impressed with the Anthrax one, as much as I like them. I miss hearing Bush singing Only. Testament, however, did it amazingly well. It seemed pretty natural. The Sepultura one would be interesting. I'm not sure that I'd like it, unless they included the current version of the band. I'm a huge fan of theirs, been one since the early '90s. But, if they were to boot Greene, I'd lose a lot of respect for them. It doesn't look too likely for them anytime soon, though. Kisser and Cavalera still aren't talking. Isn't that a requirement for a reunion??

It's all a matter of personal taste. I don't have a problem with it and enjoyed the Anthrax reunion. I pushed my friend into going since he had never seen them in the old days. He didn't get into them unil Vol. 8. He went and had a blast! If it weren't for reunions, many fans that jump on board late never get to see the bands they've grown to love.

Reunions only fly with me if the people reuniting with the group are more talented or enjoyable. Bands with deceased members are instantly discounted from having a successful reunion.

Reunions I heartily approve:
Heaven and Hell
Armored Saint (still waiting for another one...)
Iced Earth (w/ Barlow)
Iron Maiden (w/ Bruce/H)

Reunions that sucked:
Anthrax
Van Halen
Queen, The Doors, Led Zeppelin (combined for lack of actual reunion due to death)

Reunions I'd love to see:
Megadeth with the RIP/CtE lineup
Soundgarden
Corrosion of Conformity (Down is alright, I suppose, but let Pepper write some new COC, damnit!)

"Faith No More" ...but it'll never happen. :cry:

Saw a clip with Patton a few days ago on youtube and he seemed surprisingly positive to the idea about a short reunion or working together again. Actually today Patton seems to be one of the easier to get to play a couple of shows. My doubts are about Puffy, Bottum and Martin.

Heaven & Hell - awesome
Judas Priest - awesome
Iron Maiden - awesome

Anthrax - getting Joey back was 2 steps forward a 100 steps back, thats going the wrong way
Van Halen - If Michael Anthony is not playing Bass and singing background, I don't care

Iced Earth - I'm mixed, I loved the Ripper era and really liked the Barlow era. But its great for the long time IE fans - I'm a more recent one I suppose.

Life of Agony - disappointing, Broken Valley seemed like they were trying to channel STP --- but that being I'm still happy as shit they got back together.

I'd like to see

G'n'R - even though it will suck because Axl lost it.
Skid Row - Go back and listen to Subhuman Race that album was heavy. they were borderline thrash at the end there
STP - thats were Scott belongs
Sepultura - no thank you. I prefere Derreck Greene --- Max's musical stylings since he left Seps has been pure garbage.
Soundgarden - the badmotorfinger cover is tattooed on the back of my neck. that should say enough right there.
Faith No More - would be the shit.
Anthrax with Bush - looking forward to Dan, but a fan can still hope can't he?

I think a faith no more reunion would be ...epic (guffaw), but to be honest the amount of acrimony that exists between Jim Martin and the rest of the band seems insurmountable.

What does he do these days, I wonder ? I had tickets to see his band (Leviathan, was it ?), but it was cancelled due to a "tractor accident (?)" back in...95 ?

I enjoyed the Anthrax reunion regardless what anyone thinks!!!!:headbang:
Faith No More would be fantastic and I say Fantastic!
Heaven and Hell was great!
Judas Priest is a definite high---light!!:Smokin:
Slayers' "reunion" worked extremely well!!
Exodus' Another Lesson In Viloence was great for me and......that's it!
Death Angel is Rockin'!!!!!

i liked priest's, anthrax's, and iron maiden's

sepultura would be pretty cool
original GnR (although im dreaming) would be amazing

i think a rainbow reuinion would be sick

The Twisted Sister reunion-gig at Sweden Rock 2003 was great!

The Thrax-reunion was fun too, although it was the wrong time.

I wouldn´t call Queen with Paul Rodgers a reunion (noone calls AC/DC with Brian Johnson a reunion...), but I liked the gig. Had no chance to see the real Queen live. I´m looking forward to the new album.

Where do i have to sign for that?

Apparently on a "FYI - MARTY FRIEDMAN" notice, since he's too busy playing "in purples and reds and rainbow colors" instead of metal.

Also, you should sign on Nick Menza's hospital bills. I think he had a tumor and then blew his knee out.

And don't forget to sign on the Mustaine/Ellefson divorce file, so that it can be official.

Hmm...this doesn't seem very likely, does it?

Faith No More reunion.

One can dream.

To be honest even if Martin isn't on the axe, I would go see them for sure. Still the one final band I never got to see live and regret it completely.