ANTHRAX's Scott Ian: "Joey's Fired Again"

I can kind of see that point, but at the same time, every paying customer has the right to voice what they want to see. Its like, Im the fan, Im purchasing your product, how are you gonna know what I like more than I know what I like?

Ok voice what you want to see all you want but the band isn't reading this so it doesn't matter. And all this 'I purchased a product, I have the right to complain' crap... this is heavy metal music, not fucking Wal-Mart. Didn't know there were so many toolbag consumerist Anthrax fans.

Sign of the times regardless of who was singing. They were musically heading in that direction already on POT as people on here have agreed. Joey would have sung on those albums but they were out of his comfort zone at the time. It was personnel change and lable bankruptcy, now that's a FACT. No wonder they didn't get publicity from Stomp onwards, no wonder sales dwindled, it was a bad trend for metal on top of that the whole time, nearly all bands suffered to some degree. Don't misconstrue poor sales with "Bushthrax Era" bullshit. You only base your argument on the end result, not the root cause. Go ahead and ignore that as uaual. There were a lot of fans that may have loved and bought those albums if given the exposure. Dont give me that broken record of "I think those albums suck, so the rest of the world must think the same" crap. Have a Beer.
100% agreed.
:kickass::kickass::kickass:

Same old debate, same old arguments. Nobody's bringing anything new to the table...

Anthrax fans sure know how to fight.
Fight 'em till you can't (come up with new arguments, and when you do..just fight some more).

As you were.

Ok voice what you want to see all you want but the band isn't reading this so it doesn't matter. And all this 'I purchased a product, I have the right to complain' crap... this is heavy metal music, not fucking Wal-Mart. Didn't know there were so many toolbag consumerist Anthrax fans.

Doesnt matter what it is, no one likes spending hard earned cash and not getting their moneys worth. Music is bought and sold, therefore it is a product and a business.

If a band is not going to deliver we will spend our money elsewhere, simple as that.

Same old debate, same old arguments. Nobody's bringing anything new to the table...

Anthrax fans sure know how to fight.
Fight 'em till you can't (come up with new arguments, and when you do..just fight some more).

As you were.

Yes it's true and it's getting old, I never wanted this to be an agrument, actually it's not from my side.:D I said that from when I joined this thread. Others just had to turn it into a Bush vs Joey argument. I actually tried to be as respectful as possible. :wave: I understand and respect them but it's not recipricle, I'm obviously an idiot because I make sense. I think the other 85% on here know where I'm coming from. They don't post because like you say, it's old for them.

Yes it's true and it's getting old, I never wanted this to be an agrument, actually it's not from my side.:D I said that from when I joined this thread. Others just had to turn it into a Bush vs Joey argument. I actually tried to be as respectful as possible. :wave: I understand and respect them but it's not recipricle, I'm obviously an idiot because I make sense. I think the other 85% on here know where I'm coming from. They don't post because like you say, it's old for them.

As usual you missed the point entirely

I just got done with wings and beer at a place down the street. They have dollar drafts tonight. (great beer deal in the states). Nothing else goes with cheap beer better than buffalo wings!

A good BBQ goes well with Beer. Who needs an excuse for Beer anyway? :D

Sign of the times regardless of who was singing. They were musically heading in that direction already on POT as people on here have agreed. Joey would have sung on those albums but they were out of his comfort zone at the time. It was personnel change and lable bankruptcy, now that's a FACT. No wonder they didn't get publicity from Stomp onwards, no wonder sales dwindled, it was a bad trend for metal on top of that the whole time, nearly all bands suffered to some degree. Don't misconstrue poor sales with "Bushthrax Era" bullshit. You only base your argument on the end result, not the root cause. Go ahead and ignore that as uaual. There were a lot of fans that may have loved and bought those albums if given the exposure. Dont give me that broken record of "I think those albums suck, so the rest of the world must think the same" crap. Have a Beer.

I wasn't going to waste my time responding to this thread, but Stompmosher's idiocy has compelled to do so.

1) Firstly, there was no lable bankruptcy regarding Stomp 442. Instead, S442 was a major lable release.

2) Let me guess, you will address this argument by stating it was 'bad times for this type of music'. S442 came out in 1994. Do you know that's the same year that Megadeth Youthanasia came out and went platinum in the States alone?? Do you know that the heavier, thrashy Slayer - Divine Intervention came out in the same year and was Slayer's most commercially successful album to date, even though the disc makes little concession to the trends occuring in the music world at the time. So what do we have here?: an album heavier and an album 'softer' than Stomp 442 both outselling it massively. Did you know that Pantera Far Beyond Driven was number 1 on the Billboard 200 in 1994? (Of course, together with a bunch of other Pantera LPs certified platinum during the 90s).

Additionally, this was a very special, exciting and rich time for the emergence of death and melodic death metal in US and Europe?

I think your 'bad times' argument holds little weight. Yes we all know the Seattle grunge scene changed thrash, but many bands still prospered heavily during this period, provided they produced solid albums.

3) It amazes me that you can engage with reality on such flimsy grounds: Much of your thinking is built around an hypothesis of yours that "US audiences are extremely picky and split hairs". Now, where the fuck did you conjure up this? Please prove it with facts, not just a perception you have invented? In fact, you can't even call the "American audience"; the "European audience", etc. homogenous entities. Within the US and European (and all the other macro audiences), there will be much diversity and they make sense of the music in different ways. The northern US audiences are different from the south, east-west; age, gender, and culture generally all come into how the music is perceived so to blur these complexities and make blanket statements just makes you look like an idiot. I think you have a very uninformed opinion of this.

But let me guess, there is some other reason you have for S442 failing, anything but that the music is shit, hey?:rolleyes:

true, Bush-era-defenders always like to use the term 'bad times for metal' which is total bullshit considering bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera... were more successful than ever during that time.

But let me guess, there is some other reason you have for S442 failing, anything but that the music is shit, hey?:rolleyes:

I'll certainly admit that I'm not particularly fond of Stomp, even though there are a couple of good tunes on there. But the fact that I don't particlularly like that album doesn't mean that "the music is shit".

Sure, lots of self proclaimed "true Anthrax fans" don't like it because it's considered too big a move away from the band's original sound. The band took a risk, did what they wanted to do and it didn't pay off commercially (lack of label support and Joey's absence was probaly also relevant factors to a certain extent).
At least they gave it a shot. I'm not entirely sure that they would have maintained success by repeating the old formula either, but who knows.

AC/DC are more successful than ever nowadays, they even get airplay on pop hit-stations in europe, although they have been doing the same thing for 35 years, the same with Maiden, they didn't change their sound in 30 years and are still as successful & relevant as ever. i believe if Anthrax had stuck to their old formula they'd be much bigger today than they are. apart from that i'm beginning to enjoy the Bush era-songs more and more but i noticed that i can appreciate them more when i put the Anthrax-name aside, it's totally different from their classic stuff and is like a different band and it looks like many metalheads did have a problem with that. i come to the conclusion that the majority of fans don't want their fav. bands to change.

AC/DC are more successful than ever nowadays, they even get airplay on pop hit-stations in europe, although they have been doing the same thing for 35 years, the same with Maiden, they didn't change their sound in 30 years and are still as successful & relevant as ever. i believe if Anthrax had stuck to their old formula they'd be much bigger today than they are. apart from that i'm beginning to enjoy the Bush era-songs more and more but i noticed that i can appreciate them more when i put the Anthrax-name aside, it's totally different from their classic stuff and is like a different band and it looks like many metalheads did have a problem with that. i come to the conclusion that the majority of fans don't want their fav. bands to change.

Spot on about Maiden and AC/DC. On the other hand, it's well documented that Metallica went through a bit of a change and went supermassive. Megadeth managed to keep selling albums despite the changes they made with Countdown and Youthanasia.

As far as your conclusion is concerned: I think that it's very true. For bands who want to do something different and mix things up a bit it's probably important to take into consideration that some (and in some cases, many) old fans will fall by the wayside, and the change needs to be of a character that opens up for many new fans to tag along. In many cases, changes are probably necessary in order for a band to keep going. I can imagine that for some musicians, with a large variety of influences, it can be a bit of a motivational killer to head into the creative process of writing and recording new material when the overall aim is to repeat the same old routine. It works for some, not for others.

@ The Medication. There was a change in management at Elektra prior to Stomp. She said to the band that she never would have signed them. Therefore Stomp had minimal pubilicty from the start. That killed the momentum going forward. FACT. Why don't you ask the band for varification? I think those other bands that were succsessful during that era had completely different label relationships. To make that comparison to justify your argument is silly. Go and drink some milk. I'm stupid because I disagree hahahahahaha.........I'm stupid because I bother to respond more like it hahahaha.

south-park-dead-horse.jpg

Why don't you ask the band for varification?

More recent events have made me slightly unsure of the band being a safe source for information based on fact :)

Having said that, I've also read what you say about lack of label support from Elektra. I believe that I read it in the liner notes of the Stomp reissue that was released through Beyond Records (if I'm not mistaken).

Shit! How did I allow dragging myself into the discussions going on in this thread. I'm even at the risk of repeating my arguments....

I'm having a beer tonight. A friend gave me a couple of bottles of Monty Python's Holy (Gr)ail that I will be enjoying.
Well...hopefully. I've not had that beer before.