One man bands or studio bands question

HeavenlyFairytale

PowerMetal Nut!
Sep 27, 2004
Land Of Illusion
Basically this question is for bands like Theocracy... but if you have any insights on this it would br great.

I would like to start a studio band. Since I am so afraid of performing in front of people. Would you think it is better to have every musician in the same studio or have them in separately? I was thinking of having musicians send me their tracks to me and then I would worry about everything later. What are your opinions? I would do a one man band and I am not good at drum programming.

Style: Epic, Symphonic, Power Metal

go for it man, just keep in mind that because you are the only one involved in this project, that that is going to limit the diversity of your music a little bit. one man bands are interesting, but I find them to be a bit musically stale just because there isnt that variety of personalities and influences that you get with a band with at least a few people contributing to the creative process. anyways, once you have something going, post a link for an mp3 of it here and im sure everyone will be happy to provide you with some insight. good luck! -jonah -Pyramaze www.pyramaze.com

pyramazekeyboardist said:
go for it man, just keep in mind that because you are the only one involved in this project, that that is going to limit the diversity of your music a little bit. one man bands are interesting, but I find them to be a bit musically stale just because there isnt that variety of personalities and influences that you get with a band with at least a few people contributing to the creative process. anyways, once you have something going, post a link for an mp3 of it here and im sure everyone will be happy to provide you with some insight. good luck! -jonah -Pyramaze www.pyramaze.com

Would you think that a studio band would be better?

HeavenlyFairytale said:
Would you think that a studio band would be better?

i think that you should get a real drummer, and at least one other guitar player/keyboardist arranger. i know a few people that might be able to help you out. drop me a pm -j

HeavenlyFairytale said:
Basically this question is for bands like Theocracy... but if you have any insights on this it would br great.

I would like to start a studio band. Since I am so afraid of performing in front of people. Would you think it is better to have every musician in the same studio or have them in separately? I was thinking of having musicians send me their tracks to me and then I would worry about everything later. What are your opinions? I would do a one man band and I am not good at drum programming.

Style: Epic, Symphonic, Power Metal

I am not very experienced with rental studios, but I have been involved with home studio (some of it little more than a four-track analog and up to digital boards with hard-disc recording capability) multitracking. I think it is always good to have the other musicians in the "studio" while the tracks are being laid down even if it is the brain-child of one artist and hired guns or a co-operative venture. It is always good to discuss the track that was completed in case there were any problems with it that the person recording it might not notice...... for example.
Having said that, you don't want the next memeber to lay down his/her track immediately after that one. The other musicians should be able to get a copy of the track and practice along with it in case there are some subtle differences in timing/phrasing etc. from the original way it was practiced. I think the end result will be a "tighter sound."

Bryant

Hey man, I'm doing the same exact thing you're talking about. This is how I wound up doing things...I recorded all of my parts plus did the scratch bass parts and put down scratch vocals (even though my vocals *suck* it doesn't matter since someone else is going to do it anyway :)) to a programmed drum track. The next part now is getting the tracks minus the fake drums to a real drummer (plus a programmed click track so he can follow along). Next comes bass, then vocals, in the same manner. The only musician of the 3 that will be recording in the same studio as me is the bassist, since he's the only American and he can come to my house :D. Also what I do is, even though I've written and arranged everything, I am very open to input from the other people involved. So lets say the drummer has a different idea for his part, I'll hear it and if I like it I'll tell him to use that instead. That way it has more of a "band" feel I guess, since everyone gets a little input on the arrangement of their part.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Be sure to check out Matt's teaser track... I think you'll be inspired. He's got some great stuff going on.

And Matt, make sure you keep me posted! I've been spinnin' ya on my show and would love to know when you have more stuff available...