One of my roomate's BX8a's shit the bed

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Not really looking for advice here, cuz we've already troubleshot and emailed tech support (or an "incident report," as M-Audio calls it), but I thought I'd let you prospective BX8a purchasers know. He turned it on one day, and it made a popping noise, after which the power LED faded out, and then the monitor wouldn't turn on after we shut it off and tried again. We checked and saw the fuse had blown, so we swapped fuses multiple times, each time trying a different power cable/outlet, and each time it did the same thing, blowing each new fuse, so clearly something else is amiss. I've read about reliability issues with these, and here's a pretty good example! And the other monitor, which is plugged into the same power strip going (obviously) into the same outlet, is fine.

I know tons of people on here have 'em with (I assume) no issues, so that was the main reason I recommended he get 'em for his first pair, but just as an FYI to anyone that wants to get 'em, make sure to save your receipt(s)! Oh, and these are the Deluxes, btw...

Yeah, they're the new ones, and unfortunately, he got 'em from Sweetwater, so I'm not sure how willing they'd be to send out a replacement (especially because the monitors are only sold in pairs as far as I know). I know they're not the greatest AGZ, but for $500 or under, what would you get? I've heard enough things about the Event TR8's having really unfocused low-end to pass on those, and I can't think of much else that would have the full bass response of the BX8a's (my roommate isn't as into AE'ing as me, so I don't think he plans on upgrading ANY time soon, so he really needed a jack of all trades speaker, which the Yamaha HS/MSP series, for example, wouldn't do very well as)

That blows. AGZ....having worked with Genelec 1031s daily for a long time, and Kazrog can attest to this as well, the original BX8as aren't much of a step down IMHO...

~006

I know they're not the greatest AGZ, but for $500 or under, what would you get?

I wish I knew.
I'm using shit Behringers here. (though can't be that shit because they've lasted 3 years without issue.
8" woofers would be overkill in my room, my experience with the BX8As (nearly every day at work while I add stuff to the online store) is that the bass is exaggerated. Could be the room, could be the positioning, but they are far from ideal. I recommend them to the puhdusas :lol:.

KRK rokit's would likely get some attention from me http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-8-Generation-2?sku=482827

Or Mackie http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-MR8-Active-Studio-Monitor?sku=604003

Haven't heard either of those myself though.

KRK? Mackie?

FUCKING ICK. I listened to everything they had at GC and a few other shops I've been to, so while my experience with them is limited those seem to be the most beer-gogglish things I've heard. Hell, I actually LIKED some of my mixes when I heard them through those... that's just not right.

Jeff

I've never shopped for monitors before, none of the stores in this area are set up for critical listening. Its usually a shelf or half a dozen monitors all up against the wall with a room full of blues rockers and shred revivalists behind you.

I like Behringer Truth B2030A more than M-Audio BX5A/BX8A. I do like these ones, Yamaha MSP10, but I won't have that much $$ to spend on monitors in the foreseeable future.

Good passive home theatre bookshelf speakers are also an option, they can be way more accurate. Get a decent receiver/amp like Marantz and you're good to go.

Kazrog couldn't stop saying how awesome his BXs were, and he does some of the best stuff I've heard here. I'd prefer to get the ugliest motherfuckers I could, but that's not the case with everyone.

Jeff

Kazrog couldn't stop saying how awesome his BXs were, and he does some of the best stuff I've heard here. I'd prefer to get the ugliest motherfuckers I could, but that's not the case with everyone.

Jeff

Thanks! I really hope mine don't die on me, these are the best speakers I've tried anywhere near the price range. I've had no experience with the "new improved" BX8as though, mine are the older ones.

fuck man, with as much love as you guys throw on these things, i might have to sell my lowly alesis m1 620's and grab a pair...the originals are only $300/pr. right now at MF, and i should have no problem selling the alesis' for that