One song preview from upcoming album I mixed. Female vocal, possible raws.

Hi,
Killer track! (Drums are awesome!) My try:

Stay Metal!

Hi! Great mix, man:kickass: Drums are awesome mostly because of the drummer, he was simply incredible and I started to hate all others drummers after recording session with him:D
Cheers!

My first post here, and I think it sounds fucking brootal. Very well recorded, 99% professional to me. I wouldn't know how to give any tech tips, i just think the guitars could have a little more beef sometimes, they sounded a bit thin to me. Everything else perfect though. Btw, are you using 7/8 strings? Cheers!
8 strings Ibanez were used here, and yes....guitars sound a bit thin, I agree. Unfortunately guitars DI tracks recording was the only aspect that was not under my control, band already had recorded DI's when we started to work. There was some wide boomy and muddy region in DI's sound, also playing could be more tight...
It's hard to say for sure now, but I suppose there was something wrong in guitar setup....I mean choice of pickups or strings gauge, or guitar itself :D
In my experience the lower tuning you use, the more important every aspect.
This band use low E tuning.
Cheers!

Well done man. Everything is well produced and the song is great. Drums sounds very nice. Will have a go at it in the upcoming days for sure.

Would you care to share some of the signal chains ? Oh and im really enjoying your mix. Nice job really !
Thank you for the kind words!
As for the signal chains: Drums were recorded thru the budget preamps, 8 channels from Alesis iO26 and another 7 from Focusrite OctoPre mkII.
Mics: Kick-D6, Snare-Sm57's for top and bottom, D2,D4 and D6 for toms, AKG c414 xls for overheads, Rode NT4 for stereo room, Rode K2 for mono room, Hi-hat-Sm7b, Adx51's for Ride and China, and of course mighty Joemeek JM27 for splash :devil:
Drum kit-Dw collector's series maple kit (22,12,14,16), not remember what snare was used (it was drummer's snare)...some mix of different series of Sabian cymbals (mostly AA and HHX I belive, and Holy China which is my favorite china cymbal for all times).
All the best! ;)

Last edited:
As for the signal chains: Drums were recorded thru the budget preamps, 8 channels from Alesis iO26 and another 7 from Focusrite OctoPre mkII.
Mics: Kick-D6, Snare-Sm57's for top and bottom, D2,D4 and D6 for toms, AKG c414 xls for overheads, Rode NT4 for stereo room, Rode K2 for mono room, Hi-hat-Sm7b, Adx51's for Ride and China, and of course mighty Joemeek JM27 for splash
Drum kit-Dw collector's series maple kit (22,12,14,16), not remember what snare was used (it was drummer's snare)...some mix of different series of Sabian cymbals (mostly AA and HHX I belive, and Holy China which is my favorite china cymbal for all times).
All the best!
:kickass:

Stay Metal!

Just noticed the Raws, thank you, I will have a good go at these soon... Too much time spent in work recently so this is just what i need for my days off! Again, thank you very much.

All those tracks to work with...:kickass:

Thanks for the raws. I really liked the Evanescence vibe of the song and decided to give it a try. Also really amazing job on the tracking.
Would you guys care to comment my mix? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the raws. I really liked the Evanescence vibe of the song and decided to give it a try. Also really amazing job on the tracking.
Would you guys care to comment my mix? Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/dobrielenkov/crimson-blue-the-third-eye-final

Ahah liked the reverse FX on vocals in the beginning. Nice interpretation

Cool mix overall. AFAIC drums lack weight. I think the whole mix could benefit from added bottom end to the drums. Listening on D5s.

Cheers \m/

Hey Alex thanks for the detailed answer about the drums signal chains !

It was very refreshing working with these tracks. I worked with the original distorted guitar tracks which were quite a challenge. I think it turned out pretty decent, here's my take on it ..

dl.dropbox.com/s/f8c72xk7wrttwhp/3rd Eye master.wav?dl=0

I think your drums got a bit too much low end going on. Especially the toms are very heavy in the low end. Try clean that up a bit, don't have much else to add really, sounded pretty good.

Well here's my version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/933491/Crimson Blue - 3rd Eye Close.mp3

Decided to try automating the ess' on the vocals this time and I'm really enjoying the results, very recommended for sentences that starts or ends on a s.
Had a lot of trouble with the snare initially, the issue was me compressing too much (+6-20 dB GR). Once I lowered the compression to like max 4-6 dB GR, the snack got a lot better and of course the noise floor decreased considerably in turn lessened the pumping sound.

I think your drums got a bit too much low end going on. Especially the toms are very heavy in the low end. Try clean that up a bit, don't have much else to add really, sounded pretty good.

Well here's my version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/933491/Crimson Blue - 3rd Eye Close.mp3

Decided to try automating the ess' on the vocals this time and I'm really enjoying the results, very recommended for sentences that starts or ends on a s.
Had a lot of trouble with the snare initially, the issue was me compressing too much (+6-20 dB GR). Once I lowered the compression to like max 4-6 dB GR, the snack got a lot better and of course the noise floor decreased considerably in turn lessened the pumping sound.

Hey Plankis thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. You're absolutely right about the low end the toms have far too much of it in fact. It's tricky to have a good representation of the low end on D5s and i don't always take the time to double check on headphones.

I listened to your mix and liked it. I think you found a great balance between the elements and the energy flows great especially when those e-guitars kick in. As for the vocals, I always automate the ess' when time allows. I feel like i have more control this way. I didnt for this mix though

Hey Alex_M, wanted to ask you how did you go about processing the vocals? It doesn't sound super compressed but it is pretty steady and up-front throughout the song.

I'm already thinking about changing a couple of things :lol:

Hey Alex_M, wanted to ask you how did you go about processing the vocals? It doesn't sound super compressed but it is pretty steady and up-front throughout the song.
Hi xXxMetalJunkiexXx!
For the main vocal track I used UAD Precision De-Esser first of all, then FabFilter EQ with very simple settings ( high-pass filter, slight boost of low mids to add a bit more body, and wide cut of some boxy sound in a mid range), then I used three different compressors: UAD Teletronix and Rocket to manage the level and attack, and FabFilter Pro-MB to keep high end under control. I also used UAD Pultec eq on Vox buss to add a bit of air. The track itself was sent to five FX's: two different reverbs (one short and another one big and long), some stereo spread plugin for slight chorus effect, and two delays (again short and long).
But minimum 50 percents of how it sounds and sits in a mix is about automation, automation of track level, of sends levels and so on.... bunch of automation everywhere :loco:
Sorry for delay with answer.
Cheers! :kickass:

Great song! Thanks for charing the raw!

This is my try.

I know it's an old thread, but thanks to the threadstarter! Pretty good recordings!
Would you tell us exactly what you did with the snare drum in the mix?
Thanks!

I know it's an old thread, but thanks to the threadstarter! Pretty good recordings!
Would you tell us exactly what you did with the snare drum in the mix?
Thanks!
Thank you!
As for the snare drum...so, original snare was processed very slightly (just high-pass filter at somewhere 80 hz, some cut at boxy area 400 or 450 hz and probably a high shelf on the bottom mic), then I added two Slate samples (one from original SSD library and another one from Terry Date pack), it was 50/50 blend of real drum and samples I believe, then I sent group with all these snares to FX channel with reverb and a bit to the parallel compression bus, and I also used an SSL Cnannel on this "all snares group" to add some top and bottom ( 8khz shelf and 180-200 hz boost, maybe also a wide but genntle bell at 4,5khz), I think it's almost everything, probably I forgot about some little details...
Cheers! ;)