Open DT-Encyclopedia Project

UndoControl said:
Encyclopaedia tranquillitatis is amazing, but i guess it's Tranquillica, which was my second choice anyway. I'm in on this. I suggest posting a list of all their releases, with extra tracks and all, such that popups with album artwork appear when an album title is clicked and popups with lyrics appear when a song title is clicked. I'm already working on that; i'll post the HTML when i finish.

Absolutely NO POP-UPS :heh:

Anyone knows how to develpo this stuff using UML? :cool:

The tyhing of the bios under each letter (ex. B- Brandstrom,,etc.) sounds really cool, I loved that part.

I think there should be a part in which there are aonly pics, sort of "Tranquillian Pics" or something. In this part is where all pics of the band would be (beside a few in the biography of each member of course), it should be divided like this:

Pictures of band members

Pictures of the band

Pictures of anything konzert related.

Anyway, I barely know how to use my computer, so don't ask me about anything concerning html or related stuff, but I would gladly contribute in any way I can.

I can give the pics of DT in Costa Rica (which I havenot been able to post 'cause Imageshcak falls everytime I want to boot one up, the pica too heavy for it :mad: - which is a pity, since I have a pic of me with Mikael and another one with Martin H.)

You english nazi! :lol:

This seriously sounds like an amazing idea. This would be ace if we followed the encyclopedia format almost exactly. Then it would be a really good reference to find out things about the that aren't on their site and that are in english (because most of the good DT fan pages, to my knowledge, are not in english).

Is it OK to take pisture from another page or is our own pistures have to be used? Well, we do have couple of photografers here, but anyway.....

I think there shou´ld be as many pictures as possible everywhere.... I mean if you look up Borlänge, there should be a picture from a DT-konzert in Borlänge and not just every picture in the picture-sesion, but a picture-session would be cool for the "left-overs"

@Plintus, Undo: No frames and no pop-ups... I suggest we just make it CSS which is way more compatible and bug-free :)
@Tritonus: as it's a free project no problem whould be using pictures from other websites.. though I'd say that we ask permission for every external picture we use, just to make things clear :)

Yeah, that would be a good idea, but if we take pictures that are on darktranquillity.com and have the permission to do that, the linked pictures are included then and we don't need an extra permission, right? I guess it's ok as long as the photografer is included.

well.. some photographers not only want their name in the credits (that's obvius) but they also wanna be told on which site(s) their pictures will be displayed.. so we always better ask!

anyway, let's not transform this encyclopedia in a parallel photogallery.. there are plenty of photogalleries about DT online.. so we should only include a few pictures, not a lot :)

OK, if you say so, but if you look in an encycklopedia. there are lots of pictures. And you know how everubody loves pictures, but yeah, not like a gallery... I meant more like, pictures that show something speciffic.

well, not just tublatures so people could download them. Someone should write something aboout the technical aspects of DT music, for example what kind of guitar playing is characteristic to DT with an exaple tab

No, no pop-ups and absolutely no frames :D

Before we go and imagine how it's going to look like: there's supposed to be a strict data structure about what, how and where is going to be in the db.

Do we have enough disclosable information about DT that we can fill T. with? Having all photos done EVER would be cool idea (since some people just don't bother asking looting pictures and jotting their logo on - I won't point fingers, cuz I'm nice =). The same with interviews, reviews (WTF?), streaming videos (if copyright owners allow) and other stuff, which is escaping my head atm

We'd need each and every record released by DT taken a picture of - NOT a cover image :)

I will try to map out a sketch with entire thing structure, I say we use PHP/MySQL and XML where needed, not DHTML cheap tricks (if not AJAX).

I'd say there supposed to be NO WEB-DESIGN moves prior to the moment where everything is settled with the data structure :) Who knows, if we go far enough we can get some ubberly awesome artwork from you-know-who :D

Plintus: That sounds really. Who wouldn't love db with EVERYTHING on it...But still an encyclopedia with the typical encyclopedian structure...You could always start with just basic facts and then just add all the media.

Tritonus said:
Plintus: That sounds really. Who wouldn't love db with EVERYTHING on it...But still an encyclopedia with the typical encyclopedian structure...You could always start with just basic facts and then just add all the media.

Amen to that :D

plintus said:
No, no pop-ups and absolutely no frames :D

Before we go and imagine how it's going to look like: there's supposed to be a strict data structure about what, how and where is going to be in the db.

Do we have enough disclosable information about DT that we can fill T. with? Having all photos done EVER would be cool idea (since some people just don't bother asking looting pictures and jotting their logo on - I won't point fingers, cuz I'm nice =). The same with interviews, reviews (WTF?), streaming videos (if copyright owners allow) and other stuff, which is escaping my head atm

We'd need each and every record released by DT taken a picture of - NOT a cover image :)

I will try to map out a sketch with entire thing structure, I say we use PHP/MySQL and XML where needed, not DHTML cheap tricks (if not AJAX).

I'd say there supposed to be NO WEB-DESIGN moves prior to the moment where everything is settled with the data structure :) Who knows, if we go far enough we can get some ubberly awesome artwork from you-know-who :D
yeah, that's cool!

as for pictures of DT stuff I can take pictures of those I have.. and for general pictures, I don't think we should put ALL pics.. just some, to have examples.. as I said this should not turn into a photogallery about DT coz there's already plenty online :)

so, plintus, will u be the coding-guy in this project? I can help u of course.. my idea was to have an index with letters from A-Z and every letter has "nouns" under it, just like in a dictionary.. then every noun has a "definition" about it with pics and links to other useful info (just like wikipedia).. the cool thing to do would be making tree-view like layout.. this means that all notions should be collapsed and when one clicks on one notion, the definition comes out and then it can be collpsed again.. this is to avoid having mouse-wheel-killer pages..

as for updating.. i'd say we could make it as the Jargon File :) this means we do like software versions.. the first version will be something like Tranquillica v1.0.0 and then, every update, just adds a number so to have v 1.0.1 and for important changes we put v 1.1.0 and so on...

for hosting this whole project, darkillity's webserver puts his hand up.. i'd be really proud to host such a thing.. so, I hope u agree :) the address can be somthing like http://www.darkillity.net/tranquillica/ but we can also make a shorter url, if needed.. :kickass:

Nt3N said:
yeah, that's cool!

as for pictures of DT stuff I can take pictures of those I have.. and for general pictures, I don't think we should put ALL pics.. just some, to have examples.. as I said this should not turn into a photogallery about DT coz there's already plenty online :)

so, plintus, will u be the coding-guy in this project? I can help u of course.. my idea was to have an index with letters from A-Z and every letter has "nouns" under it, just like in a dictionary.. then every noun has a "definition" about it with pics and links to other useful info (just like wikipedia).. the cool thing to do would be making tree-view like layout.. this means that all notions should be collapsed and when one clicks on one notion, the definition comes out and then it can be collpsed again.. this is to avoid having mouse-wheel-killer pages..

as for updating.. i'd say we could make it as the Jargon File :) this means we do like software versions.. the first version will be something like Tranquillica v1.0.0 and then, every update, just adds a number so to have v 1.0.1 and for important changes we put v 1.1.0 and so on...

for hosting this whole project, darkillity's webserver puts his hand up.. i'd be really proud to host such a thing.. so, I hope u agree :) the address can be somthing like http://www.darkillity.net/tranquillica/ but we can also make a shorter url, if needed.. :kickass:

Yeah, I'll be more than happy to participate, but - I can't follow any facultative deadlines, so if we set finishing date of the script around midway through infinity, and everyone's OK with it, I'm in.

As of layout: datastructure first :) With the idea of alphabetical index, first what comes into my mind is XML (with that kind of mark-up it will be highly possible to turn all the info into a full-blown printed book, haha :loco: ) I will give the Project Tranquillica more thought through the course of this week, lets dump all ideas here :)

As of URL the one you posted is fine, but I would love to see www.darktranquillity.com/tranquillica or www.tranquillica.com one day :cool:

:lol:

Have an idea... So if someone does the pagestructure and coding, someone else could start with the alphabetic stuff, som zll fact could be in andocument ready to load up. One thought just.... Do youu mean that therre shoukd only be one noun under each letter? Why not as much as possible?