Open DT-Encyclopedia Project

@plintus: as for the "midway through infinity" deadline no problem to me :) and about hosting: if niklas will host this project on the official website that'd be great too!

@Tritonus: of course! the more nouns we have under each letter, the better :)

as for collecting facts: tritonus, could u sort in alphabetical order the serious facts from the '1000 DT facts' topic?

sure!

please try to sort them on a DOC/PDF/RTF file so u can have lists... u write each letter in big-bold char and then under it u place nouns and definitions just like u suggeted.. so..

D (big and bold)
Dreadlocks - Martin Henriksson's hairstyle from 2004 onwards :)

S (big and bold)
Stanne, Mikael - [bios about mikael]

and so on... :)
once u've done that from the '1000 facts thread' u can send me the file via email...

well, if anyone else's got other ideas about the support on which collecting facts, please do post them!

Hmmmm....Lets see....I've done something like that, but just so you know.. We wonät get a alot from the 1000 "facts"... But it will work aýway I hop. Just doing the basics right now. Albums, members, connected band etc... But with little facts.. Can't wright big ones

The thing with making an alphabetical index is that we'd have to take care not to just make a list of all things DT. I say things like "Damage done" and "Trail of life decayed" should be under a more general topic called "Albums" or "Releases", to name just one example.

Well I think that it should have a lot of pics, I would like a photo gallery in it, but I guess we'll have to put it to vote or something.

Tell me if I can help in any way :) .

Tritonus said:
OK, so you think I should put all albums under A?

Well no, it'd be better to put under the letter it starts. Ex.:

C

Character: Dark Tranquillity's latest album, bla bla bla . . . .

I vote for a database with clickable thumbnails (so it won't take ages to load) of all pictures ever to have existed (categorized by kind, concert date, etc).

"Albums" should be under A and "Releases" should be under R and redirect to "Albums", i think. Maybe there should also be "Character" under C and so on, but in "Albums" we could have a list of hyperlinks to each album's article and to album reviews. Then we could have "Reviews" under R and make it a list of hyperlinks to all the album reviews and also include those hyperlinks in the corresponding album's article.

Aha. "Tour", "Gigs" and "Concerts" should all redirect to one of those three and be a list of links to review+pic sites. And i think that having things such as "Hilversum: City where DT played in 199something." would be stupid.

UndoControl said:
I vote for a database with clickable thumbnails (so it won't take ages to load) of all pictures ever to have existed (categorized by kind, concert date, etc).

"Albums" should be under A and "Releases" should be under R and redirect to "Albums", i think. Maybe there should also be "Character" under C and so on, but in "Albums" we could have a list of hyperlinks to each album's article and to album reviews. Then we could have "Reviews" under R and make it a list of hyperlinks to all the album reviews and also include those hyperlinks in the corresponding album's article.

Nein.

1 .Excess of information - almbums and releases is almost the same thing - Albums is a subset of Releases anyway.

2. Each and every word associated with dark tranquillity - name, album/song title, any noun, anything more or less categorizable = tag, search term and whatever - a unique key (which also works as a pointer) in one table. Then we have a bunch of other data tables - for releases, band members, photos, interviews, gigs and whatever, which we can use in any way.

:err:

I don't think we should put releases under albums, because this is a DT encyclopedia and we need to make it very specific. Any jobs left?

UndoControl said:
*shakes head* I think that would be too chaotic. We really need to organize things into categories and subcategories and so on.

What you are proposing IS chaotic: why do you need releases, albums and records sharing 80% of information?? It's just the tip of the iceberg though... every term CONNNECTED WITH DT gets explanation:

H

Haven

Henriksson, Martin

and so on.

Yes, but suppose you had your way and we didn't have an "Albums" category. It would be a pain in the ass to have to search for all the albums under each album's initial instead of having a quick list to access them all.

Now suppose we do have categories like that and someone comes and sees Tranquillica. The thing with "Albums" and "Releases" is maybe a bad example because both are easy to think of, but suppose that person wants to read DT's tour information. He looks under T and doesn't find "Tour". So he looks under C and doesn't find "Concerts" either. "Gigs" doesn't come to his mind, and he leaves the site thinking it's incomplete. But if we had all three categories and two of them just redirected to the other it would solve that. I'm not talking about three categories sharing 80% of the information. I'm talking about three pnames for a single category. Kind of like Wikipedia, where sometimes a name redirects to another article.