Open-minded?

dg

Apr 20, 2003
Switzerland
www.nightshadeweb.com
I was wondering what kind of music-apart from metal and gothic-KATATONIA fans like...

Personnally I listen to a lot of Trip-Hop (Lunik, Swandive, Portishead, recent Ulver stuff, Gathering's latest album,...)

Tell about your tastes...

I suppose it depends how you're going to define "metal". Do bands such as Dargaard, Elend, and Avrigus count as metal?? Some people would say that Anathema is more rock than metal.

Apart from those ones, I like a lot of prog rock (King Crimson, Camel etc); some classical music (Carl Orff's Carmina Burana being my favourite piece); acoustic guitaring such as Martin Taylor/Gordon Giltrap; Aphex Twin (whatever style of music you call that); there are a few Finnish rock bands I like (the main one being Apulanta ;)); are Sigur Ros or Tenhi metal?? I dunno. Anyway, you get the picture. :p

I like classic/prog rock, like Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull. Also, classical like Mozart and Beethoven.

@Rusty: Heyyy, you like Aphex Twin? I guess you'd just call that electronica, or ambient. I prefer Squarepusher though...drum 'n' bass.

Reactions: Lethe78
Rusty said:
I suppose it depends how you're going to define "metal". ...are Sigur Ros or Tenhi metal?? I dunno. Anyway, you get the picture. :p

I don't know how we could consider Sigur Ros as metal... I like this band. I've seen them labeled as trip hop or as post-rock (which I think suits better). I like this kind of music too. Especially Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor. I don't know Tenhi. Could advise me a few songs?

I like a wide range of music. My favorite is metal, all types of metal, everything from Type O Negative and Moonspell to Pantera, Darkane, Opeth, Alchemist, The Haunted. I also listen to a lot of classic rock, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Tea Party. Basically, I will listen to anything dark, angry, heavy or emotional.

@dg: Tenhi aren't like Sigur Ros that much. Anything off the Kauan or Vare albums would be good.

@Nelly: I only really like one Aphex Twin album, I Care Because You Do. And drum 'n' bass just sounds scary to me. ;)

I do love metal, I'm still learning of new genres :)
Other than metal, I listen to some soft rock, like Coldplay. Some random artists like Jeff Buckley, and I do like a bit of Industrial. My taste in music is very.. open-minded.
I do love Doom metal right now! :D

I'm mainly into death-gothic metal I think, but I also listen to some alternative-pop-punk-rock bands such as The Smashing Pumpkings, dEUS (gods), The Rasmus, Pyogenesis, The Cranberries, Placebo, Die Artze, as well as some dark-ebm-electro - but not only - acts as Covenant, Hocico, VNV Nation, Ataraxia, Zeromancer, Seigmen, Icon of Coil, The Faith and The Muse, London After Midnight and of course I love rock'n'roll, street and glam... I'm very open-minded, guess have always been!
Would like to hear Sigur Ros, which I think I've never listened to, as well as Coldplay sounds interesting, I love their singles, especially "Clocks": it's got a beautiful piano...

dg said:
I was wondering what kind of music-apart from metal and gothic-KATATONIA fans like...

Personnally I listen to a lot of Trip-Hop (Lunik, Swandive, Portishead, recent Ulver stuff, Gathering's latest album,...)

Tell about your tastes...

I mostly listen to metal but I'm actually a hardcore U2 fanboy :p
But I'm a fan Depeche Mode, The Smiths/Morrissey, Blur, Apoptygma Berzerk. Tons of other non-metal goodies :D

dg said:
I don't know Tenhi. Could advise me a few songs?
Tenhi is neo-folk, or something of the sort, incorporating a lot of acoustic instruments. Kind of like a more textured "Kveldssanger" or "Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays," at least it should appeal to the same audience, same if you like Death in June etc... Try the songs "Näkin Laulu," "Hallavedet" etc... Those are from the album "Kauan" which is the only one I have.

Apart from metal? Some of all these: (Prog-, Folk-, Alternative-, Art-, Gothic-, Hard-...) Rock, Emocore, Grindcore, Ambient, Triphop, Industrial, "Pop" (Tori Amos & Co...).

I probably forgot some.

Metal rules! I don't listen to anything else than metal. I just don't find the bands in other genres interesting. I'm a racist.

Incendiare said:
I like classic/prog rock, like Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull. Also, classical like Mozart and Beethoven.

You fukin rule!!!! Pink Floyd owns, and I saw Tull twice!!!
Classical also rulez!! Esp. Beethoven and Rachmaninof piano sonatas and such.

Also, Live, Tristania, OPETH!!!!!!, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, (Gabrial days) Genesis, Novembre, Savatage, Megadeth, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Tons of music aside from rap and country.

what about pink floyd, kosheen, eminem, led zeppelin, antimatter, madraguda, hooverphonic, tori amos, alanis morrisette, radiohead, u2, live, jewel, nick drake, skunk anansie, stereo mc's, REM, Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay, Massive Attack, Portishead, dEUS, Radiohead.......
thats being openminded ;)

i like slowdive, the gathering, hooverphonic, bark psychosis, sigur ros, pink floyd red house painters, kent, love spirals downwards etc..in fact i think i like them more than metal nowadays..anything similar bands to add to the list? always looking for some new revelations=)