opening riff of godhead's lament - E minor or G major?

which one?

• E minor (obviously)

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • G major (obviously wrong)

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • idk

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters
lol that would be some pretty good ownage but mike doesn't know anything about theory either so who knows if he's even right about his own song

Dorian G minor key with a tritonus.
The descending dim chords are variations of a D7b9 without the D.
There isn't a third played the first time the melody/chord progression stops on the G, so it might sound major to some; but the context tells you otherwise.

First of all, that section isn't even that tonal and functional, so who the fuck cares about where the tonal center is there.

It has, just like many other Opeth riffs, a tonal center which all the harmonic twists and turns revolve around and come back to; a safe harbor in the sea of tonal chaos, if you will. A very powerful tool to use when creating music which isn't bound by the classic chord progressions and harmonies, but still tonally comprehensible.

^
Lol
I was ready to beleive that you knew what you were talking about,
Right up until the "a safe harbor in the sea of tonal chaos" :b

It's nice to see Arasmas, I mean THE Arasmas, who knows everything in this world, who is the supreme mind etc etc to be pwned epicly ahuheauh

Mikael proves to be the man again ha!

This thread is the lulz for being so fucking stupid, for having mike's answer on the first post, and for all the rest of the stupid things that some people have said.

well akerfeldt isn't exactly a music professor quite frankly, as we've learned from watching the drapery falls "instructional" video among other things. also, he may have just been pointing out that the chord in question is a G minor chord, not major (this is true). regardless, the tonal center of the riff is VERY CLEARLY E minor, and if i'm not mistaken it remains E minor throughout the whole song