opening riff of godhead's lament - E minor or G major?

which one?

• E minor (obviously)

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • G major (obviously wrong)

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • idk

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters
naw it's a legitimate excuse, i just assumed the opening chord was E without checking it against my guitar, turns out it's G, so i was actually right that the key was [opening note] minor, i'm still admitting my asininity though

Well, G harmonic minor, perhaps. I't can't be natural minor because of the f# leading tone. Also there is no flat five in harmonic minor so it's not STRICTLY diatonic to that scale either. Maybe G harmonic minor with locrian tendencies? It does have have that Bb near the beginning so that certainly suggests minor, BUT the second ending has a tritone based on B natural so it 'borrows' from major...

EDIT: okay, okay. Nevermind; I was pwned.

I voted Em because it feels like minor, but listening to it and checking on my guitar, it's in G, so it's in fact, as others, including Mike, have said it, in Gm.

^
Lol
I was ready to beleive that you knew what you were talking about,
Right up until the "a safe harbor in the sea of tonal chaos" :b

If you have a hard time understanding metaphors (which I inserted to make things easier to understand for the not-so theoretically beread) you can always choose to not read them; or if you have a hard time discerning whether or not I know what I'm talking about by just looking at the theoretic examples I offered, well then you might need to read my metaphors to get what I mean. Oh, right.

The first three notes played in the song is the three first in the G minor scale? And so is the D after that, so it's kinda obvious?

If you have a hard time understanding metaphors (which I inserted to make things easier to understand for the not-so theoretically beread) you can always choose to not read them; or if you have a hard time discerning whether or not I know what I'm talking about by just looking at the theoretic examples I offered, well then you might need to read my metaphors to get what I mean. Oh, right.

hmm, no?
:p