Operating Systems

Steve1234

Apr 17, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm about to completely reinstall my music PC as it hasn't been wiped in quite a few years and it's the PC that I use for all my music stuff. Currently it has Windows Vista on it as that was put on before it became my music PC (that should tell you how long it's been).

So I was wondering what you guys think would be the best current O/S to use. my laptop has Windows 7 on it but I was wondering how good you think that is for production and things and in particular I was wondering if anyone has any experience using any other operating system such as Ubuntu for example

I'm considering giving Ubuntu a go to see if I prefer it or if it's any good for music production. But I'm a bit worried that a program isn't going to install or a driver will not work or something like that

Go with Win7. I would strongly advise against Ubuntu as your recording OS. It's good as far as not eating up your system resources but you will have a damn hard time trying to find drivers and software that will be compatible with whatever setup you are used to. I switched to Win7 a few months back and I absolutely love it.

anti Mac OS X software?
check it too!! if a mac is so expensive you can always try hackintoshing! jaja nowadays is very easy to make one OSX work on a PC motherboard correctly

Linux is aweful for audio production.

Trust me, save your energy and sanity, just go with windows.

This.

Seriously, its enough trouble running a simple audio configuration on linux, nevermind something a bit more pro audio.

I use XP for music. I have Windows 7 on a laptop, and I have Linux on a couple partitions here and there.

To me, XP seems noticably faster than 7, and there's NEVER a driver issue with XP.

DO NOT try Linux. You WILL have problems. This is not an if. You WILL have problems.

I'm still using WinXP, as there's no Windows 7 driver for my audio interface (Mackie Onyx 400F). Doesn't sound like there will be, either...

I still don't trust any Windows OS past XP. Its still by far the smoothest and most lean for audio production.

My only problem with XP is the latency, I have played on XP and i get a noticable amount of latency, but when i play through the same interface and guitar but on Vista, I get barely any latency at all, so little i couldn't even notice it...

Win 7 x64 - stable as can be and access to lots of memory. I was a very early adopter (the first day it was on the market I upgraded from the RC) and don't regret the choice at all.

the only people that can record on linux, are programmers.

and programmers can NOT record, trust me, i am one.

thanks,