Anth said:
что вы пиздите я ни хуя не понимаю жопа бляяяяяяяяя

I have to say that i agree.

Rusty said:
Haluan puhua sitä. Aloita!
Alyona said:
*gives up*
Rusty said:

suggestion: get a real book and go on with your studies ;)
no offense meant, but you'll never learn finnish from finns here, as they write a sort of "internet-oriented" spoken finnish, sometimes including dialects, and you have little hope of understanding the rules behind.

a good diy starting point might be the "finnish for foreigners" series by maija-helikki aaltio, otava publishing. there are two course books, two exercise books and tapes. it's in english/finnish and you get to learn grammar, vocabulary, pronounciation and practical expressions.

if you want to buy it but you can't find it at the local bookstore you might want to order it from http://www.suomalainen.com

*warning* the site is all in finnish, so make sure to have a lovely finnish friend to help you out ;) oh, you need a visa cc and the shipping is 17 euros to europe and 30 euros to the rest of the world.

happy finnish! :D

banghead.gif
I really hope you realise I wasn't seriously trying to learn Finnish using this thread.

I will buy a book, but I can't find any locally and don't want to buy online since I'd rather be able to have a look at the book first, and I can't be doing with buying online and sending it back if I don't like it. So I'll have a look for it and others if I end up visiting this winter, which is looking less likely all the time. In the meantime, I've got a vocab-learning site, which is pretty nifty, and a few grammar-sites which I'm using to generally get a feel for stuff without making a serious attempt at learning it all yet. Do I get praised now?

^^ "Uraani halkeaa.." ehkä vanhin avatar jonka muistan.. Mayby the oldest avatar I remember
:worship:

@rusty: i know it's very hard to find any books outside finland, probably the only two decent ones you might find would be terttu leney's "teach yourself finnish" (lots of people like it, i don't because it doesn't provide you with the tools to actually translate your thoughts into finnish; it's more a learn-this-by-heart kind of book); and fred karlsson's "finnish: an essential grammar", which is an excellent grammar but you might want something else, too. i understand.
i'm halfway through my finnish for beginners course, and i've read lots of books so far, so if you care for some advice from an alien's :rolleyes: point of view, feel free to ask :)

as for online material, perhaps we could start an url exchange? i might have missed some sites and it's always nice to have more in my bookmarks *greedy* :dopey:

my favorites at the moment are:
. supisuomea (online school related to the book and tv-programme on yle. it's also my course book, btw) > http://www.yle.fi/opinportti/supisuomea/
. ymmärrä suomea (grammar, exercises and tons of verbs) > http://www.edu.fi/oppimateriaalit/ymmarrasuomea
. suomea ole hyvä (exercises on grammar and vocabulary) > http://cc.oulu.fi/~mkarjala/soh2
. selkouutiset (reading/listening to the news in finnish) > http://www.papunet.net/selko/uutiset/?kat=1

share the knowledge, you people! :D

@rusty: i know it's very hard to find any books outside finland, probably the only two decent ones you might find would be terttu leney's "teach yourself finnish" (lots of people like it, i don't because it doesn't provide you with the tools to actually translate your thoughts into finnish; it's more a learn-this-by-heart kind of book); and fred karlsson's "finnish: an essential grammar", which is an excellent grammar but you might want something else, too. i understand.

First i would like to agree with you about the "Teach yourself finnish". The book is oldfashiond, and as you said its all about memorizing the grammar, and remembering a coupple pof verbs every now and then. It's got its good sides though, the grammar part is very easily understod and the explanations and rules are very well written.

As for the ""Finnish: an essential grammar", i've got to admit that i dont know it. Is it worth paying for, since i want to extend my knowledge of finnish grammar by many lenghts.

I used the "Teach yourself finnish" as a little help with the grammar, and for reading in the bus. As an exercise-book i highly recomend the "Hyvin menee", since its not only an exercise book, but also completly i finnish and contains a lot of grammar texts ect.

I still think the best way to leanr finnish is to live there for some time. One year is more than enough to catch the basics of the finnish language. And they've got free lunch almost everywere, in schools and in the offices. ØBut mainly because you get to socialize with finns and taste Kossu... :p

Now i think i've spend more than my 2p.

Ursvamp said:
As for the ""Finnish: an essential grammar", i've got to admit that i dont know it. Is it worth paying for, since i want to extend my knowledge of finnish grammar by many lenghts.

well, in my opinion that's a book a student of finnish should have. it's well organized, so it makes for an easy and quick reference grammar but it also provides nice examples that make it a more pleasant reading.
i check it out daily to refresh the essential rules and it's really invaluable to me :) in case you're interested in buying it, the cheapest format should be the e-book version (downloadable for $18.33 from amazon.com), while if you want the real book, shop at amazon.co.uk for £16.14 plus shipping.

(i'm not an amazon promoter) :lol:

Today someone was talking about a book of swear words/phrases in other languages that he's got, and then he mentioned that a Finn in the next room taught him how to say "fuck off" in Finnish. To show off I said "haista vittu" and stole his thunder. I told him I knew (very) little bits of Finnish, so he asked me to teach him another Finnish curse to take back to his Finnish friend. I told him the most insulting thing to say to a male Finn is "rakastan sua". Tomorrow I'll tell him to say "Olli, tahdon imeä munaasi." Should be fun. In fact compared to physical chemistry, it really will be fun.

I hope you have all have a really crappy and commercial christmas with the christmas tree falling over (or burning down) and porridge being spilled all over the table and floor... And you get drunk on new years eve, throw up and maybe get raped, possibly hypothermia too. :)