Opeth and copy-protected CDs

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Copy-protection doesn't even work, so whats the problem? If they are ever able to make a version that works, there'll be new rippers out within the week that'll have cracked it.

For me its very important to be able to rip, because i have an iPod, so need to be able to transfer my music accross - slow internet means i can't download them either (if i want them at a reasonable bitrate that is)

You are right, you can still rip the heck outta any cd. Screw copy-protection, that stuff will not work. People will hack into it no matter what.

Yeah, pretty much... the copy-protection is just superfluous. Perhaps it's meant to serve as a buzz-word to try and dissuade computer illiterates from attempting to pirate CDs... I really don't know.

If the medium provides an output waveform, the waveform can be traced, it's very easy to do.

its all so stupid. if you can play it, it can be recorded as moonlapse said. either you rip it, or you open a rec program like cubase and set input to wav out or speakers, and just cut your own tracks. there's really nothing they can do about it short of making it play fullscreen in a flash movie without allowing window minimization or switching. even then, its probably still possible to open the recording program first and then pop in the disc. they're wasting tons of money on it.

ginkgothian said:
No I will not. A copy protected CD does not match the booktree standard, you can't even call it a "compact disc" without lying. I won't pay ridicuolus cd prices to crack a copy protection (it's also illegal where i live)

I don't care if opeth signs to a major label. I just can't accept to get my consumer rights to be cut down Period
Stop being a faggot, who actually gives a shit, just buy the cd its gonna be like 16 dollars tops when it comes out. Jesus a bunch fucking babies around here, "I dont want my consumer rights to be cut down" hey shithead sorry to tell you this but half the stores that people shop in fuck the consumer, get over it.

Lethal01 said:
Don't give them any ideas. Considering how smart their recent tries have been.
of course, all those attempts, though thought-out, still failed. :Smug:

Plot summary from that site about your avatar:
Constructing this film through random scenes, director Harmony Korine abruptly jettisoned any sort of narrative plot, so here we go: Solomon and Tummler are two bored teenage boys who live in Xenia, Ohio. A few years ago, a tornado swept through it, destroying more than half the town and killing the same amount, including Solomon's father. The film, from there, chronicles the anti-social adventures these two boys have. These include sniffing glue, killing cats, having sex, riding dirtbikes, listening to black metal, and meeting a cavalcade of quirky, bizzare, and scary people. These include a man who pimps his mentally ill wife to our anti-heroes, three sisters who play with their cat and practice becoming strippers, a gay black Jewish midget and his boyfriend, a 12-year-old gay transvestite who is also a cat killer, Solomon's mother, two foul-mouthed six-year olds, and most importantly, a nymphlike skateboarder who walks around town wearing pink rabbit ears.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moonlapse said:
I personally don't care about the protection scheme in regards to Opeth though. It would be the label's call, not theirs (I presume). I buy CDs to listen to CDs... not mp3s. It's almost insulting to rip a band's catalogue onto a portable MP3 player, for low-quality mass consumption. If I want to listen to mp3s, I'll download them... hell the speed of internet connections these days will let me get an album in a few minutes. If I find an album worthy of purchase I WILL buy it and I'll listen to it on CD, without compressing it and degenerating the quality.

Well, in Dark Tranquillity's case, the fucking cds are COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE on computers. They just don't even show up in the player. I think this is only with reissues of some of their older stuff, and I think they now have a warning on their website telling people not to buy them (cause it was done by the label without their knowledge), but it doesn't change the fact that I paid 10 bucks for a cd that I can't even listen to. And no, the "marker trick" didn't work, it just made the last track skip infinitely at the end when I try playing it in a normal cd player.

Minion520 said:
Stop being a faggot, who actually gives a shit, just buy the cd its gonna be like 16 dollars tops when it comes out. Jesus a bunch fucking babies around here, "I dont want my consumer rights to be cut down" hey shithead sorry to tell you this but half the stores that people shop in fuck the consumer, get over it.

To paraphrase: "PEOPLE WHO ONLY BUY THINGS THAT WORK ARE STUPID AND GAY AND LIKE HAVING SEX WITH MEN BUT I DON'T CAUSE I OFTEN BUY THINGS THAT DON'T WORK JUST TO BE A HARD ASS"

Minion520 said:

Heavy Metal!!!!!!!!11