Opeth and Dimmu Borgir?

I think there's definitely a valid comparison to be made. Early Opeth definitely had a forest-metal vibe, just like early Dimmu Borgir (I personally think that Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is kickass, and every other release mediocre). It's also an interesting observation that while Opeth is a fairly "creddy" band, Dimmu Borgir is not really accepted listening. At best a guilty pleasure in many metal circles, the prog-scene definitely being one of them. Whether that is due to lost cred from commercial success or from the musical escapades they've been doing since they went all symphonic is up for grabs. Probably a mix of both. I mean, Emperor definitely did similar things with the keyboards, but never lost their cred.

And I don't buy that their incomparable. They share many elements with Opeth. The juxtaposition of soft melodic elements with harsh/heavy. At times fairly complex songs and so on.

Very few bands seem to inspire so much spite as DM these days :p

I'm growing weary of your tone. You've pretty much expended your entire pot-stirring allowance for 2009. Time to relax and enjoy the rest of the year.

I am wondering why this thread about Dimmu Borgir hasn't been deleted yet.

I am sure I am not the only one who is annoyed at scrolling this forum and seeing all these ridiculous threads that have nothing at all to do with Opeth. I am even surprised the Dream Theatre thread was moved from this forum finally.

Read thread title, please? Also, deleting is a little bit exagerated. Moving it to the Non-Opeth discussion seems more fair. But again.

Oops, you are right I should have posted it in Non-Opeth discussion, but I wasn't sure since it has to do with Opeth, in some sort of way. :erk:

I used to like Dimmu....now I can only listen to these albums: For All Tid, Stormblast (the original one) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (which destroys).
Maybe Spiritual Black Dimensions has some cool songs too.
On the newer albums like Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Death Cult Armageddon I like ICS Vortex vocals.

I used to like Dimmu....now I can only listen to these albums: For All Tid, Stormblast (the original one) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (which destroys).
Maybe Spiritual Black Dimensions has some cool songs too.
On the newer albums like Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Death Cult Armageddon I like ICS Vortex vocals.

Apart from those wich you mentioned I think In Sorte Diaboli was also good, ofcourse imo:zombie:.

I dont even understand how, his melodies are pretty terrible on both of those albums ttytt. They really don't use him correctly in Dimmu. Christ, why can't Arcturus just get back together.

no, there's a lot of negativity towards dimmu because they're a horrid band and they've been a horrid band since what, stormblast? not even hellhammer and vortex can save this band - especially with the terrible melodies vortex gets

are you claiming "Stormblåst" is a good album? It's like a crayon retard wrote that album, they were naive teenagers when that album was written.

it's good for what it is eos. what, you think a release like in sorte diaboli is better?

Absolutely, not that i'm into their music...but it's clearly more evolved.
It's just a thing people have to say to seem true, "yeah, only stormblåst is a good album...yeah, i only like early mayhem...", please put on Stormblåst and write what parts in particular it is that you like.
Some parts in death cult armageddon are truly impressive symphonically, people just hate new Dimmu because they lost their grimness stamp.

Absolutely, not that i'm into their music...but it's clearly more evolved.
It's just a thing people have to say to seem true, "yeah, only stormblåst is a good album...yeah, i only like early mayhem...", please put on Stormblåst and write what parts in particular it is that you like.
Some parts in death cult armageddon are truly impressive symphonically, people just hate new Dimmu because they lost their grimness stamp.

no, I dont like new dimmu because it's bland and uninspired. vortex's melodies are a waste of his talent, hellhammer isn't doing anything impressive (save for that 260+ bpm double kick in...the chosen legacy, I believe it is?), shagrath's vocals are mediocre at best, the lyrics get worse and worse as the years go by, and yeah. even the symphonic aspects cannot carry the band anymore. to me it just seems like silenoz isn't producing good riffs anymore. if it's not stop-and-start bouncy shit like "puritania", then its bland power-chord riffing like "the serpentine offering."

the only songs I like from dimmu enthrone darkness triumphant-present are kings of the carnival creation and progenies of the great apocalypse, pretty much only because vortex has amazing melodies there, almost matching his work in arcturus or borknagar.

at least on albums up to (and including) stormblast, the lyrics were in norwegian - so if they were retarded in english, it wouldn't be as bad. when you have gems such as "My decent is the story of everyman, I am hatred, darkness and despair" or the title of the album repeated ad nauseam in a song, you're kind-of scraping the bottom of the lyrical barrel there.

stormblast was good for what it was, which was one of the first forays (besides bands like emperor) into the symphonic side of black metal and mixed it with an almost melodic sense of bathory worship. in some ways it's incredibly simple and in other ways it's complicated.

btw if I wanted to be "true" I'd say that "for all tid" was their best album, and I'd say that mayhem died with dead, etc etc. but to me, I think that stormblast is probably their best (even though I adore vortex's vocals) and I think that despite what some critics may say, maniac, attila, and blasphemer did well for the band (edit: mayhem, I mean) by being part of the continuation.

They have a lot of good song if you're ready to give it a try, but it's like any music if you want my opinion. Just sometime it's hard to catch on, and I respect that. I didn't hear a lot of old Dimmu Borgir but I know that's it's pretty good. I also like a lot the new one (didn't hear the most recent album, though, but it has at least 2-3 good songs I'm sure). As said, it's very simple and basic music, but it has unique elements and creates its own ambiance and feelings that you often cannot find in other stuff.