Opeth art

lol @ you not getting stuff
1. it is my opinion that people who use lol are total cum guzzlers or teenage girls, 2. Me not "getting" it does not cancel out what I previously stated one post back. And even if I wanted to get it, your English is tough for me to comprehend.

& to the OP, that old school art is pretty sweet man, props.

The only problem with cuntface is he isn't funny or clever. Otherwise he'd be slightly tolerable. Now that I think about it, he could be philno.

Nice art by the way.

The only problem with cuntface is he isn't funny or clever. Otherwise he'd be slightly tolerable. Now that I think about it, he could be philno.

Nice art by the way.

Maybe, but I would doubt so. The account has been made in 2006. For the way he acts, it's however pretty much the same. What a dick.
Back on topic : can't wait to see the results of your project, looks quite interesting.

Maybe, but I would doubt so. The account has been made in 2006. For the way he acts, it's however pretty much the same. What a dick.
Back on topic : can't wait to see the results of your project, looks quite interesting.

it's not interesting, it's just the same old thing, just not as good

The join date doesn't always say much. It's worthy to note that nearly 70% of his posts were made in the last few months. He stopped posting with his account in 2006 and after a three year hiatus started using it again. My money's on philno. Hell, even if I'm wrong, he reminds me of him, which is just as bad.

i also think watershed blows, opeth are definitely getting worse with every album

Thanks for the comments and critiques everyone. :) I'm still working out the look and this was just my first stab at it. I'm going to do the animation in Flash so I'm trying to keep shapes simple. I played with the size of his face alot and I'm sure I could adjust it some more. While I like do 300 and Sin City this is a style I've actually been using before both of those comic books, I'm 43 years old :Smokedev:

Also so you all know I didn't paint this image. Its just a collage of pictures I found online. Hard to explain all the things I did to make this image in Photoshop, but since I don't have the means to make a film I'm going to use pictures of the band and animate them much like old monty python animations, but better since Flash allows for some pretty cool stuff.

Ozzloaf, please feel free to tell me what you think, art is open to interpretation and I'd like to hear what other artists have to say. :)

My art isn't for everyone.

Older art:

0f86361ed44744db.jpg

945cf06a01def417d651a9a80ca48f17.jpg

wow!

Ozzloaf, please feel free to tell me what you think, art is open to interpretation and I'd like to hear what other artists have to say. :)

Well these aren't interpretations but rather observations. ;)

I ask for your permission because where I come from artists try to give each other criticism (some slightly harsh) in order to better each others work. When applying this criticism in other art communities, however, they're often greatly offended. So now I ask. :p

For one, I think that your older artwork shows a great deal of progression over your more recent work. That's understandable though, because your older work seems entirely drawn while this piece is a photo manipulation. Any time you dabble in new medium (or even new techniques) it feels weird at first.

Onto the actual piece... all of the "problems" with this piece are due to two issues: Texturization, and Shading/Lighting. The rest of the image, color, composition, etc is very good! I'll focus on each of these things. In the future I may create a paint-over to better illustrate what I am talking about.

Texturization

There is a lot of confusion in texturization on this piece. You use a lot of soft edges on-top of preexisting hard edges which looks un natural. In the future try to lean towards either an entirely softer or entirely harder application using either hard or soft brushes. I speak mainly of the shadows. For example, the darkest points of the face are defined with a very sharp, stencil-like appearance while the other shadows on the face are incredibly soft. In order for those two to correlate, both elements should be softer or harder (with varying intensity of course). By varying the intensity I mean that things in the foreground should be sharper than those in the background, etc. Also the phototextures you used look a little flat, like the scratches in the background. It doesn't really make much sense for the sky to be scratched up like that so you should have applied those textures throughout the piece to make it a little bit more consistent. This is more personal preference, but I think the texture should have been a bit sharper as well.

The lighting in this piece is sort of weird. The light is coming from the back right, which you show from the rim lighting. The problem is that the light is to sharp, light, and thick to be an effective rim light. This again relates to the confusion in texturization because these lights are VERY sharp and make the image look a bit cut-out. Also, they should come over the form a little more, instead of just being lines.

The lighting on the faces is confusing because it lacks a solid light source for the most part and despite the faces being lit, no more of the figure is highlighted. Some parts of the clothing and the hair should be highlighted as well to ground it in realism.

Overall, it's a cool piece, there are just a couple of flaws. I hope this helps you!!! :headbang: And I hope I didn't offend you at all. :(

Jake

Thanks for the critique Ozzloaf. Much appreciated :kickass:

So that you know, everything I did with respect to the lighting in the image was intentional and thought out ahead of time. :) I wanted a strong backlight to contrast the siloquette of the bodies as well as the guys in the band to have what appeared to be a soft single light on each of their faces to give a strange look to the image. I blurred the background to give more emphasis to them.
I still need to calibrate my monitor. I think the reason your seeing the sharp edges are because your monitor is brighter than mine. This image was done in a matter of two hours and I didn't bother to check the image before saving so things like the hard edge may show for some and not for others. Thanks for bringing that up.

I agree the scratches would definitely look nicer if they were sharper. I tried overlaying them on the faces but it took away from them. The idea originally was to make it look like an old photo. I'm still not finish so I may go back and fix that. I'll just create a better scratch texture that is sharper and can work as a complete overlay.

I actaully work professionally as a concept artist and 3d character artist. :zombie: Here is some more older stuff. Sorry the other two and the top one here are so small and grainy looking, the originals are pretty big and I had to scan them in by sections :ill:. The other two are digital obviously.

6924bfa9f871ffe5283f4831fc52d650.jpg

4905369ca54873a5.jpg

311bba9624d18373591e324a3fc1cded.jpg

Thank you everyone, :) I'm going to need it. Thats a long song and making this animation will take many months.o_O

Very nice pic, I am totally amazed at these kinda visuals since I am totally a retard on visual arts :)