OPETH AT THE CAPITOL LAST NIGHT !!!

reidie

Apr 2, 2005
Australia
Great show :headbang: sold out crowd were not let down by the boys

Got to the show to see a massive line of black stretching well down the street, luckily some of my mates had been lining up in the line so it didnt take too long to get in. Grabbed a few beers and headed for the pit.

The eternal were a great choice of opener. Similar musical elemnts to opeth (longish, progressive songs) but they definatly arent trying to be opeth. I really enjoyed their set, although some songs did drag on.

Then came opeth, the pit was starting to grow anxious by the time the boys came out and we were not let down. Even a power cut during a song from my orchid could put a dampener on the night. (I know there are some people that dont want to know the setlist so ill post that at scrolling distance down the page) Great show, michael was is fine form talking about not being able to finnish a shit because of the spider sitting next to him :lol: and even giving the crowd a metal quiz in which he played well known riffs (ie. smoke on the water, paranoid, to live is to die etc) and got the crowd to shout out the names .

SETLIST BELOW

Set list wasnt changed too much from previous shows which was sort of disapointing, but at the same time, you cant complain with this set list :headbang:

1) Ghost Of Perdition
2)White Cluster
3)The Amen Corner
4)Baying Of The Hounds
5)Closure
6)Under The Weeping Moon *Power went out, but we got a drum solo :D*
7)The Grand Conjuration
8)The Leper Affinity.

9)Deliverance

I was at the Capital last night and witnessed one of the best gigs ever!

They played brilliantly and Mikael Åkerfeldt's interaction with the crowd was hilarious. He treated us to a Metal Quiz and he called himself a Metal Oracle. He played some riffs and we had to guess what song and who they were by. He played the classical part from the Middle of Metallica's To Live is to Die which is one of my all time favorite pieces of music and then said, "If it wasn't for that riff, there would be no Opeth."

I couldn't believe it when the power went out but lucky for us it didn't take to long to get back on. I don't know if anyone else noticed that a plank of wood fell from the 2nd level and landed in the crowd. I don't think anyone was hurt be could easily have been. The next time they come to Perth it should be held at Metro's.

Definatley the best gig I have been to in Perth for many years.

Thanks Opeth, hope you can make it back to Perth again soon.

That's a pretty decent setlist. I wish they'd cut out Deliverance in favour of Blackwater Park though.. that track totally climaxes.

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves. Hangin out till Sunday...

Moonlapse said:
That's a pretty decent setlist. I wish they'd cut out Deliverance in favour of Blackwater Park though.. that track totally climaxes.

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves. Hangin out till Sunday...

Yea Blackwater park is definatley my pick for the encore:headbang:

No shoes this time huh? Haha, good thing really.
Yeah, pretty decent looking setlist, I'd really like to see When and Demon though, and some more Still Life.

Yeah, i was really hoping they'd pull out the Moor for the aus/nz tour but what can u do??

This is gonna make me sound like an MTV fanboy but the grand conjuration was probably one of the highlights (along with the Leper affinity) :D

I think that set is maybe one song short? I'm unsure but didn't they play Death Whispered A Lullaby too?

JB77 said:
I was at the Capital last night and witnessed one of the best gigs ever!

They played brilliantly and Mikael Åkerfeldt's interaction with the crowd was hilarious. He treated us to a Metal Quiz and he called himself a Metal Oracle. He played some riffs and we had to guess what song and who they were by. He played the classical part from the Middle of Metallica's To Live is to Die which is one of my all time favorite pieces of music and then said, "If it wasn't for that riff, there would be no Opeth."

I couldn't believe it when the power went out but lucky for us it didn't take to long to get back on. I don't know if anyone else noticed that a plank of wood fell from the 2nd level and landed in the crowd. I don't think anyone was hurt be could easily have been. The next time they come to Perth it should be held at Metro's.

Definatley the best gig I have been to in Perth for many years.

Thanks Opeth, hope you can make it back to Perth again soon.

The guys actually enjoy Metallica? :OMG:

Hey.

I couldn't go to this concert cause im too young. Has anyone got any pics or anything they could upload?

concert was great, agree that another song wouldve made it tops! either way, first time Ive seen them after listening to them since high school, about 10 years ago. fan since the Orchid days!

no, probably not sarcasm. 80's era metallica was very influential for many modern metal bands, and if you don't recognize that, you're a twat.