opeth in worcester last night

WhiteBeastofWotan

Apostitutes!
May 22, 2003
Philly
Visit site
Great night...

me and my friend got there at about 6:20, thinking that doors opened at 7 (seriously, thats what the palladium website said). So we ended up waiting maybe an hour and 15 minutes in the cold.. but that was fine. We got in there, got a spot close to the front, and waited. And waited some more. but then..... MOOONSPELL! they went right into in and above men, which was fantastic. Now, i wasn't really that into Moonspell before last night, but i had a few of their albums dloaded. They were great. Good songs, good stage performance, and occasionally funny dances. They were good enough that i baught The Antidote and one of the "I Am One of Them" shirts (did anyone notice that fernando's shirt said "I am one of You"?)
Anyway, the setlist was (taken from pictures of the list on returntothepit.com)

Intro
In and above men
lowering skies
alma mater
vampiria
Southern deathstylel
Everything invaded
Opium/Wolf
mephisto
fullmoon

Next up, Devildriver. Now, i had low expectations of this band from prior listening (though limited) to their music and other people speaking of how they suck. but, guess what? they met that expectation perfectly. they were horrible.
it was obvious that many people in the venue did not want them to be there, as while the band was actually walking on stage to start their first song, what seemed like almost the entire audience was chanting "OPETH!", it was hilarious. However, they deserve it. While Dez is certainly not in a nu-metal band anymore, he is now in a metalcore/death/black metal band with the simplicity of mallcore. simple song structures, with choruses made up of one line repeated or "And die now! i wish you were dead!" over and over again. Horrid. To make matters worse, Dez had this "i went through a lot of shit, so i'm the best man" additude to him... with the whole bragging about working since he was 12 to support himself or his family.
Setlist for those who might care:

Nothings Wrong
I could care less
cry for me sky
Die (and die now)
The mountain
What does it take
meet the wreched

Anyway, on to the real reason for going to the concert... OPETH. They came on of course with the uber-heavy Master's Apprentice, which rocked. In between songs, Mikael and the band joked soo much. They kept on starting to play paranoid by black sabbath, first saying that it was a song from still life, then a small piece of a song from the upcoming album. Mikael also declared that the guitarist of devildriver was his bitch. Hilarious bunch of people. on a side note, Mikael looks cool when he headbangs, and Mendez looks funny. They played absolutely flawlessly. It was the fourth time i have seen them, and no less entertaining than the first time. The highlight of the night for me was The Moor, which was probably the cause for my incredibly aching neck.Other highlights include deliverance and in my time of need. During the latter, the entire audience sang along, and Mikael even stopped singing during the first two lines of the chorus, to let the crowd sing.
Opeth's Setlist from what i can remember, maybe not in order:

Master's Apprentice
Drapery Falls
Windowpane
in my time of need
the moor
April Ethereal
Deliverance
Blackwater Park

Encore:
Demon of the Fall

What a terrific night. I wish i could thank Opeth and Moonspell, and give Dez Fafara the finger followed by a quick kick to the groin.

"This one is deticated to someone who we all believe in. Religiously that is. So this one goes out to out to our lord.....SATAN!! It's time for fucking Deliverance!"

Best thing ever. I'm kicking myself in the ass because my friend's stupid step-dad made us leave after Deliverance. And Blackwater Park and Demon of the Fall are 2 of my favorite songs :yell: :yell:

Mike must be the funniest man and best performer in the world.

At the Toronto show:
"I'm gonna count to three and then everyone's going to repeat after me: SATAN IS OUR GOD. One, two, three..."

I waited around for 3 hours in the cold to meet the band. Each one of them signed my BWP booklet (on the picture page). Mikael was funny when he finally came out at 3:45 - he was pretty trashed. He said "last show of the tour - that's my defense!" Whatever man - I shook his hand and he seemed like a pretty down to earth guy. Peter too. The Martins were a little more introverted, but still they took the time to talk with us. Totally worth the wait.

yeah, i was there too (posted here a couple times a LONG time ago)

heres my relatively gay review

generally, it kicked ass and the place was PACKED, i didnt even know there were that many opeth fans in new england it was crazy.

moonspell- EXTREMELY black metal so not really my thing so i cant judge em, i guess cool if you like that stuff. skull stick was funny as hell, couldnt stop laughing at it and when i almost stopped he started headbanging with it more, fucking hilarious. i guess they had pretty good energy and stage presence, the singer kept leaving the stage in between verses and from the balcony you could see him offstage just sitting and drinking something, if i was in the band he wouldnt get away with that shit thats for sure....he played drums at one point which was cool i guess

devildriver-painful, one of the worst bands ive ever seen including all those local bands. just awful, listened for a minute and then put my ear plugs in (always bring em for shitty openers), put my head down and kinda zoned out like i did when korn played at ozzfest, just thinking of opeth to get through it. the one thing i caught was dez's speech about working class which i am dumber for having heard:
dez: do you guys go to work every day, like work at a job?
crowd: uhh........no shit?
dez: thats what its all about man, cause im a blue collar man like you and i learned drums at age 12. cause you know, working my whole life, thats what lifes about, and thats what a real mans life is like
crowd: uhhh......OPETH OPETH OPETH OPETH

seriously......where is he going with this speech?

opeth: end of devildrivers set we left the balcony and went down to the PACKED floor, got a really good spot side stage in the front row. we were kinda outside the guard rail and a couple guards gave us shit about being there but the rest of em didnt care cause we werent causing trouble like everyone else around there. opeths guitar techs fucked around for awhile and were sadly played with more talent then devildriver, then the lights dimmed and the opeth chants rised, place went nuts when they walked out and everyone started headbanging like crazy to masters apprentice. did TONS of headbanging at some parts, and then sometimes sung along but a lot of the time just sat there watching the band, every member was so fascinating to watch, like normally im a total guitar freak but i found myself staring at both martin's a lot cause theyre so fucking amazing. drapery falls was amazing, so beautiful and the tempo changes were unbelievable, then the moor which was more beauty and just amazing in all ways. then windowpane and in my time of need which kicked ass, everyone singing "somewhere miles and miles away" together and micheal talking about how rochester thought they could sing it better then wochester...april ethereal was just headbanging madness until the mellowed out part and the AWESOME solo...then the beginning of deliverance was the most headbanging ive ever done at ANY SHOW ever, then at the end we were just spacing out and listening to martin l's awesomeness...then blackwater park was just incredible, i realized it was so close to the end so i just watched and didnt headbang or anything, played it perfectly such a great song. HUGE break chanted opeth for what seemed like 10 minutes before they predictable played demon of the fall, the only complaint i have all night was how long of an encore break it was and then they only played the one song they always play last, but the song was great and the whole crowd went nuts...played spice girls right after they finished to get rid of us dunno what was up with that but it didnt get demon out of my head. mikeals got a great presence and talked a lot in between songs, really funny guy that got the whole crowd cracking up like when they played paranoid after saying it was a song off still life they dont usually play. everyone go to see opeth when you have a chance if you appreciate good musicianship or just good music, you wont regret it.....theyre not touring the us for like two years now ("unless you want a shit album that we can record in two weeks") but when they do GO. wow, didnt mean for that to be so long....opeth kicks ass yeah

Aaronmm said:
moonspell- EXTREMELY black metal so not really my thing so i cant judge em, i guess cool if you like that stuff.

*cough* *cough*

Not to insult you or anything, but you don't have a fucking clue about what you're talking about if you say that Moonspell is black metal.

Go listen to some Mayhem, then come back and tell me that Moonspell is black metal with a straight face.

and in case you go off on me, I'm an educator, not a flame warrior. I'm trying to help you.

yeah, ive been corrected several times for that in other places already (the black metal thing).....i dont know much about that kinda music i dont pretend to. if you read the review about them youll see that i was SAYING that i cant judge them, and it wasnt my thing so i cant have an opinion on it, its not like i screwed up classifying them and am pretending to know what im talking about, i admit i dont know shit about that stuff

micheals also been on this board before, he said that he saw here that the moor is a really popular song

Moonspell has a good bassist.
Devildriver seemed like they played the same tempo riff the whole time
And OPETH was awsome.

During the first soft vocals from mikael you could hear the strain in his voice from all the touring of course, BUT! you could see the relief on his face when a large amount of people (which surprised me) were singing all the lyrics along with mikael. It was a great experience. Well thats my review, i tried.

Wolftribe said:
Next up, Devildriver. Now, i had low expectations of this band from prior listening (though limited) to their music and other people speaking of how they suck. but, guess what? they met that expectation perfectly. they were horrible.
:D
This is a very nice description, and I absolutely second the evaluation! One of the worst and least likeable bands I've ever seen.

First of all - the show was incredible. That was the fourth time seeing Opeth, and I think they played with the most energy I've ever seen. The best Deliverance and Demon of the Fall versions live I've heard, and Blackwater Park was just plain incredible.

As far as Devil Driver (I have a thread in the off-topic section) - I was there, and it appeared to me the crowd was definately into them. At the beginning, the "Opeth" chants started, but it quickly subsided when they played. The pit went nuts, and everybody seemed to be having a great time. I was sitting on the bar on the floor, so I had a great vantage point of the whole scene. There were a few hecklers, but I saw a bunch of people rocking out. Simple music - yes, but it was intense and powerful all the same. Especially after Moonspell, whom although I liked quite a bit, didn't "pump me up" like Devil driver did.