Opeth at the Wiltern

Great show, but I hate the Wiltern and its staff. I've seen over half a dozen shows there and only once has its seating arrangement been acceptable (Tool 2001 - fully seated floor). The "General Admission Floor" tickets are anything but; if you want to get remotely close to the stage - and I'm not even referring to the pit - you'll have to get past bouncers who claim that the floor is "full" when it clearly isn't (especially the asshole on the left side - twice he wouldn't let me through, yet when I walked to the right side entrance there's not even a bouncer there to stop me).

The amount of room they allow for aisles and for bouncers to stand is absolutely absurd, easily taking up a third of the standing room on the "General Admission Floor." Once Opeth came on, no one else was allowed into the area. The only people using the aisles were bouncers and staff - so why are they there? No other floor/general admission area I've been in at any other venue pulls shit like this. Never have I seen giant arbitrary aisles forced through a floor crowd without any reason at all. If they don't want to have a general admission area, they should stop selling that type of ticket. I had the same bad experiences with the staff and seating at Opeth's last show at the Wiltern and was hoping that something would have changed by now.

Also, the sound wasn't great last night. The sound quality for Baroness and High on Fire was up there with the worst I've seen at any live show - muddy as hell and wholly intolerable. Opeth was better, but I still feel bad for anyone seeing them for the first time.

I'm not usually inclined to post messages, but I've had enough of the Wiltern. I won't be going back until someone tells me they've changed the way they handle their seating arrangement. Still, I had a great time last night regardless.

It was a pretty damn good show they put on. High on Fire, though... juggajuggajuggajuggajuggajuggajuggajuggajuggajuggajuggajugga-dun-dun-dun over and over again for every song. Opeth was awesome though. I have to agree about the sound quality, though. Last time I saw Opeth there the sound quality was much better. Hell, it was better at the little House of Blues on Sunset. Sweet set list, I thought.

edit: oh, and I thought Axe played perfectly. I remember there were always doubters about him not perfectly covering Lopez's stuff just right. Well, last night he played old songs perfectly and all of the new stuff as well. Damn good show. And Per looks like a wizard with facial hair.

Good show despite the shitty sound quality. Everything sounded muddled into a giant wall of sound and about 3x louder than it needed to be. My ears are still ringing from standing close to one of the giant speakers in the pit. I moved all the way back about halfway into the Opeth set but the sound wasn't much better.

Still, all the bands put on quality performances. Baroness was exceptional, even though I never heard them before. High On Fire wasn't bad at all. I think they could've been great if it wasn't for the bad sound. Opeth was... well, Opeth. Their greatness was hindered by the overly distorted guitar sound which made the vocals barely audible.

One thing that deserves mention is Per's AWESOME headbanging. I daresay it's better than pre-Watershed Mendez headbang. And Frederik's cool new closing solo in Hope Leaves, which added a nice touch to my favorite Damnation song.

Despite my eardrums being raped, it was awesome seeing Opeth for the first time. And I have a pretty high IQ, proven by how awesome I think Deliverance is.

Great great great set list and show!!!! That was one amazing show, Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater were absolutely great live. I must agree that the sound quality wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't that terrible.

Baroness was pretty good, but I, along with the majority thought that High on Fire suuuucked. Great show though, Mike was hilarious as usual and everyone was damn near perfect.

Btw, did anyone wait to meet them after by the tour bus? My brother and I waited about an hour and a half to meet them, but ended up leaving because my brother had work at 6am and school later in the day. How long was it before they came out? I wish I could have met them!!!

Setlist was fantastic. Heir Apparent as an opener is the greatest musical innovation since Per's beard. The whole band wore the t-shirt with the weird face guy. Mike eventually asked if anyone knew who it was, and there wasn't really any response. Mike said, "I can't believe you guys haven't figured it out yet. It's.... us." And Apparently it's Mendez's nose, and I can't remember the rest. So I think we figured this out earlier when the album first came out, but it's confirmed. And his name is definitely Jorge.

Do you like this guy? Do you think he's pretty?.... He's ugly as shit. Do you know who he is? I can't understand how people haven't got it. He is us. This face here is a combination of all of our faces. That's my eye [left eye], that's axe's eye [right eye], obviously Mendez's nose, and half of this belongs to Per and half belongs to Fredrik [lower face]. And the frame is all Mendez. We call him Jorge.

The Drapery Falls is not as good a closer as Demon of the Fall. Not that it's not a brilliant song live; it is, but it doesn't leave the audience with that sense of satisfaction. My friend and I waited about half an hour at the trailer and we saw Mendez standing outside the door at the venue way behind the checkpoint and Mike peeked his head out, but we never saw the band. Yeah, the staff there are pretty bad. I hope they come to San Diego next time so we don't have to drive all that way :( pleeeaaase Mike?

P.S. What was up with Kenny G coming out from backstage afterward? He's an Opeth fan now?

Yeah.... Kenny G was back stage. He brought his son who plays guitar and 3 of his son's friends. They came back and met Fredrik and WELP... line of the night (Fred to Kenny G) "You're a guitar player, right?" :lol:

Wonder if I saw any of you doods there. Was a fun night for sure.

i hated the fact that they wouldnt let me in to the pitting area..

the pit in the mid section sucked.. but i got in it during deliverance..

and me and my friends waited till 1 30 to meet the fucks..
i met the whole band, besides per..

and i got a photo with kenny g.
it was legit..

the greatest show ive been to..
but the venue could have been better..

links to my pix...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=59225462&albumId=2422387

I got a kick out of the crackheads selling fake ass Opeth t-shirts 2 for $15 as everyone was driving out. I dont get LA hahaha.

whiteflour.gif

^I was wearing that shirt. That shit always gets attention, so maybe one of you saw me.

ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET?
ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE?
SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE?

ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET ANYBODY GOT A SPARE TICKET?
ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE ANYBODY WANNA BUY A SHIRT HALF PRICE?
SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE SPARE CHANGE?

OH GOD, stop it! NOT AGAIN! :cry:

it was legit..

links to my pix...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=59225462&albumId=2422387

I think I saw you in line, I think i was ahead of you in a Still Life shirt. The Kenny G shots were awesome haha

Good god man. He went back and forward so many times that I actually started to believe that he really wanted to see Opeth.

it was legit..

Since you waited till 1:30 to meet "the fucks".... did you see 2 dudes walk jp the long ramp and leave while you were waiting, one with a long sleeve black "Enslaved" shirt on? (a couple people made comments about it I guess...) but that was me. I spent most of the day there and was so fucking tired and my buddy had to work the next day so we left around 12:30. And of course the Kenny g. thing was "legit". How could I make that shit up? WHY would I make shit up?