Opeth - Benighted and Camel - Never Let Go

Kushantaiidan said:
HELLO!!!

listening to this camel song, I was weondering, hmm.. where have I heard this riff before..

OPETH YOU NAUGHTY BOYS!!!

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! Those theives!!!!

I just heard the song. That's awesome. I gots to find me some Camel. Sounds like I'd really like 'em.

You think some Opeth sounds like Camel, huh? Listen to some Early 70's King Crimson, too. Opeth and Lucassen of Ayreon are definite fans of the early 70's prog stuff (Camel, King Crimson, Yes, Tangerine Dream, Uriah Heep, and Hawkwind, amongst others, I'm sure.)

skyshock1 said:
Old man's rock!!!!!!

LMf'nASS OFF!!!!!!!!

You must've seen the Opeth instructional guitar video as well. I laughed like crazy when I saw Mikael say "old man rock" as he played that goofy assed riff and had that stupid smile on his face.

Haha, finally someone noticed. :lol:

Heheheh...thought I should mention this.

The AWESOME 1:50 min. riff found on Wreath sounds REMARKABLY similar to a song done by KING CRIMSON on the album, In the Court of the Crimson King.

Opeth's is superior, but it is clear where they got the idea from. ;) Man, I would never have thought that riff would be found elsewhere....

If you can't come up with something yourself you apparently have to steal something - at least that's how the music biz looks today!
If you think ripping off other people's work without crediting the original artist, you might want to start listening to rap music (or at least look into the music), as 99% of that genre's music is stolen from other people's work. :erk:

Timmy said:
when? what track?
i have the album but i've never noticed
I have the vinyl version, and the sleeve lists 61 songs, so I don't think I'm able to tell you what track it is - also as I've only played it twice, and would like to keep the number of playings low to keep the condition high, and to start counting tracks would be a bit difficult. BUT, I'm currently in the midst of getting to know the album better, so I've transfered it to tape to listen to it on my walkman, so I can tell you that the riff starts approx. 8:15 into the album.
By the way, is it just me or is the "Inspector Gadget" theme more or less a rip-off of "In the hall of the mountain king" by Edward Grieg?

jeanreno said:
How come when I posted this EXACT topic a few months ago it gets ignored? :lol:
I HATE YOU ALL!!!

Anyways Camel is my fave band, and what that guy said up there about their best albums was right...Camel, Mirage, Snow Goose, Moonmadness, Rajaz. The rest are not up to these albums standards. If you haven't had the pleasure of listening to Camel yet... DO IT NOW!!!

haha i hear you on that, i started a thread about this EXACT thing too. i wonder who made theirs first? you or i..no one will know because all the threads up to like april something of this year were erased..mwahahaha.
o well, it doesn't matter, i was gonna post the fact that i mentioned it, until you beat me to it. haha, later.

I think that Mikael did elaborate the acoustic riff a bit more. To me, the change in the melody makes it sound more expressive and warm. I prefer his "adaption".

jeanreno said:
Also, though it may be small, there is a small keyboard flourish at 0:58 at Hope Leaves that is EXACTLY the same at around one minute of "Camel - Ice". Since we're on the Opeth copying Camel topic. :lol:

Jeeeeeeeean! Long time no see :wave: