Opeth epic or annoyingly drawn out early days

VeN-ny

Apr 28, 2008
My friend was doing that sad attempt at a guitar sound many people do and fail at and was insulting 'the twilight is my robe', one of my favorite opeth songs and probably my favorite opeth cd... if there is such a thing...

The point is, he was insulting the repetitiveness of Orchids best moments. I can name a lot of songs that have a certain sound that I wish lasted a lot longer the first coming to mind being 'process of dissillumination' on Bloodbath's new album. The haunting evil guitar that they used twice, the second time for about a second to come to the song's end. I really wish they would use this soudn in other songs or t least have made it longer in this song. Doesn't everyone have different sounds in songs that they wish they could hear more of because they couldnt get enough of it? I feel this way in The Twilight is my Robe and just rock out to each amazing riff the entire time they are played.They are really drawn out, sure. but I thinkt hey are amazing. Nice drunken/6am no sleep rant. Thoughts? This is good or is it better ot have these amazing sounds at a minimum to keep you hungry?

Orchid is wicked.

I still struggle to accept that others aren't fans. The atmosphere and acoustic sections are beyond this world.

To answer your question, the songwriter can do what he/she pleases. Being involved in the process and listening from an external perspective are two very different things, and many 'listeners' (especially here) are way too harsh and critical of the music they haven't written.

Usually Opeth do a really great job with keeping you hungry and for me there are only some songs that repeat certain parts too often (Drapery Falls drags on too much for example),
Twighlight is my Robe isn't one of them though, best track there is on Orchid imo.
Also, there's pretty much a new riff in every section and no copy/paste at all on Orchid and Morningrise.

orchid is a big orgy of mediocre riffs piled on each other, sure some sound nice but they drown in all the other pseudo melodic riffs that anyone could come up with after a few mins of jamming.

Orchid's probably my 5th favorite Opeth album, only because that BWP-D1-D2-GR run over 4 years is absolute perfection.

At first I thought everything went for too long.
But, I hadnt discovered real music at that point.

(Obviously)

Usually Opeth do a really great job with keeping you hungry and for me there are only some songs that repeat certain parts too often (Drapery Falls drags on too much for example),
Twighlight is my Robe isn't one of them though, best track there is on Orchid imo.
Also, there's pretty much a new riff in every section and no copy/paste at all on Orchid and Morningrise.

Yeah the riffs change but he meant things like in twilight's 5:44 mark with the stuttering(however you wanna describe it :rofl:) guitar sound they made happening 5-6-7-8 times..however many it is...being too much and the fact that it does so with 3-4 different riffs in the song.
I agree it is the best song on Orchid along with track 1 and 7. The acoustic and his voice in it are so perfect in the 5 minute area. My conclusion now is that I like these riffs dragging on and it satisfies unlike other favorite riffs from other bands/songs that i only hear for 5-10 seconds in the song.
Orchid and Morningrise are the best for these reasons :worship: