Opeth forum will close down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I'll miss stopping by here myself, but really, I still have my Opeth music and I will go to many Opeth shows in the future. So, shutting this down is not a big deal, and it is a good move by the band to distance themselves from this type of behavior.

well said..well said...:)

Not sure why this is a surprise it was really a matter of time. Two generations of UM users (that I know of) have migrated off and started their own forums anyway, I'm sure you guys still here will do the same. There are plenty of great free forum hosting sites, it just takes the effort of one of you to start it up and believe me once its got going it works much better than this place, plus its not wasting the bands cash.

wow. i know that people are out of line at times. i can understand. if i were in a successful band i wouldnt want to be misrepresented. still, i just started comming here. it will be a shame. but i dont think its any reason to say anything about Mikael. its not his fault that people act this way. and he doesnt want it to be either. can you blame him?

^ Suppose I'll be seeing you around the EToS forum... if that ever picks up.

Anyway, I lol'd at "change your tampon". Dude was spot on, it's the reactions you give these people that make it as bad as it is. Don't. Feed. The. Trolls. They'll go away eventually, after being ignored by everyone. But people keep fueling the fire (I suppose I'm guilty myself on a few counts..), and thusly this has become one the many Assholes of the Internets.

EDIT: to be clear I'm not directing this at Mike or any one person. Just all of us in general. Not that it matters for site, as it'll be gone soon. But hopefully someone will learn not to feed the trolls before they go off onto their next forum excursion, and make it a better place for everyone.

We all saw it coming, guys!

How many times everyone warned those stupid fuckers about the risks of bashing the landlords?

There couldn't put up with the fact their opinions were pure shit so they just decided to get everyones attention by making stupid offensive ignorant comments.

I know MIke knows already who are real fans and who are just assholes behind a T-shirt of a band they don't have the faintest idea of

I don't have any problems in creating a new forum, and if everything goes well, maybe we can get a paid domain and everything.

This really puts me down. It was fun and educative and Mikes posts showed He's a brilliant person and I sort of felt proud of him answering to our constructive threads, and really embarrased when he had to put up with those assholes who rejoiced insulting and bashing Opeth (I'm gonna find ya sooner or later)

I'd rather have a forum with 500 funny, creative, original people.

Bye all

Darkent@gmail.com

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8502136 said:
The amount of shit, rude posts and stuff I've seen here has escalated so much lately. We can't put our stamp of "approval" on this anymore. It's become a playground for immature kids trying to get a rise out of insulting people. We thought it'd be interesting to have a forum where Opeth fans could talk music. I too participated thinking some of you might appreciate that.

I, for one, appreciated the hell out of it. A lot of insight into what goes into making a record, songwriting, life as a band, etc.

Somehow it didn't work out and what's left is just a mess to be honest. So we'll close it down by the end of this week I hope. To be honest we should have done this a long time ago.

For those who are dissapointed I'm sure a new un-official forum will be available somewhere, but that's about it.

Unappealing you say? Well, that's tough....

Well, yeah - it won't have the band members posting. No more people getting owned by the man himself (like the case of Lopez and the latin influences).

I think you'll be able to pull through though, right?

Cheers
Mike

Sure, it's just a forum after all.

you know, his posts were funny and insightful. a few bad apples spoil the bunch, and to be honest, it worries me. most musicians arent as down to earth as Mikael. most wouldnt post on the forums and answer questions. and if things keep going like this, many more musicians will be discouraged from doing so. :(

Damn it all to hell... I know I'm practically retarded but still... goddamn it... This forum is my #1 source of interaction with people ^^

this is shit. this is a fan forum, not mikes forum. i appreciate mikes opinion, but why can he say "close the forum" and they close it. because its the official one? i mean ... i cant understand this. really .. i cant understand ^^

opeth is growing bigger, the forum is growing bigger. logical thing imo ... if mike acts that way, he becomes more and more unappealing to me. he's a fukkin god in my eyes, but i cannot understand why he acts like this.

this is crap ^^

This is the official Opeth Forum, which pretty much means it's the forum of Opeth, which means it's pretty much Mike's forum. and Mike don't like what is going on on this forum, as he don't want Opeth to equal to trolling kids.

that a forum is growing bigger does not mean people have to start behaving worse. Just check the Foo Fighters official forum for instance. a kazillion of members, and yet it does not contain this kind of nonsense.
although that's probably cause the post gets removed and you get a perm IP ban if you act like a jerk even once.

so I guess the mods have been a bit too nice with that.

It's about time. This place really should have been closed a long time ago.

I, for one, feel priviliged to have been a part of it during the 'golden days' when there was useful information to be gleaned and a friendly, mature community to interact with. It could have been predicted from the outset, as soon as moderators needed to be appointed to look after the place. I left the position after I saw no hope for this place, and it looks like my prediction was right.

All the same it was really fun for the years I spent here. So thanks Mike, I enjoyed it while it lasted! See you guys next time you drop by Melbourne.

FYI to everyone,

I have sent Mikael an email and will await his response. I am hoping to step in as owner of this site (for those who didn't already know me) and see if we can't get things back in order, for a permanent basis.

This is the band's forum, and I would not run it without their permission, so it is only with their approval it will move forward and hopefully we can get it back in order.

I will send out the word of warning now to those who need it, you screw around and start insulting the band, me, mods, etc. you'll find yourself banned on the spot, it won't be tolerated. That should be also go for other users of this forum. Kidding around and all is fine, but I won't tolerate malicious verbal attacks to other members, it's unnecessary. I've been down this road with other forums on the site, and I know some of the responses that are to come, so again, you're warned now to realize it is my and the band's call on the rules and how things will be conducted on the forum, it's not a free for all and you don't have the right to say whatever you want (malicious) without consequence. This should all be common sense but...

That all said, I am awaiting Mikael's response and we'll see what happens from here. Hopefully a batch of bad and sour apples will not ruin the whole orchard.

Hey Mike,

I've been reading and participating in this forum for 8 years now. Thanks for all the great replies and posts. If you wanna close the boards, it's your call, of course.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.