Opeth Guitar Effects

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I have always wondered what effect the guys use when the guitar sounds like it kinda fades in, and it sounds almost like a violin.

Its hard to explain but I think you know what I am talking about.

Anyways, do any guitar players know how to acheive this effect?

Thanks.

Try using your neck pickup with a lot of reverb, and vibrate the string a lot. I'm usually able to simulate it that way in my music. Are you talking about those long held out high notes that they used a lot in Blackwater Park?

Yeah I thought I read somewhere that he used a special device, that was a while ago though.

And to morningrise, yes I was talking about the noises on Blackwater Park.

Thanks for all the help guys.:)

on the record it is an ebow (like in Drapery falls) live he uses the Slow Gear effect on his boss Gt-3. Which btw is a great unit if you want Opeth sounds, everything you hear live is that unit..amps are just boosting the signal really.

fadingessence said:
on the record it is an ebow (like in Drapery falls) live he uses the Slow Gear effect on his boss Gt-3. Which btw is a great unit if you want Opeth sounds, everything you hear live is that unit..amps are just boosting the signal really.

What is the difference between the gt-3 and the gt-6? I have the gt-6, and have never heard of the gt-3.

gt-3 is just the older version of it, there is also a gt-5.

Some people think the gt-3 is just the best one, others (like me) have just found that it does exactly what they want and have spent so much time programming that they don't find a need to change. Those processors will last forever anyway, don't think I could break it if I tried.

You're probably talking of e-bow but you might be talking of simple voulme-swelling. You can do it either with a pedal or just on the knobs on the guitar(that's what they do live)