Opeth guitar sound

fhare

DemondimSpawn
Jun 16, 2005
Everett, MA, USA
I love the Opeth guitar "sound", I'd love to start a discussion about what Mikael and Peter used on specific songs. Any interest?

the official sight lists what equipment they use for each album in the discography...my favorite tone is probably on still life...its classic rock cream meets metal crunch...and i love how clear it is.

oh, well who knows....as far as live, i remember hearing somewhere that mike puts his highs and lows very low, and his mids high on the amp....he runs a gt-6 into that, and thats all i know. i don't know the settings on the gt-6.

I think the guys would use pure amp and analogue pedal distortion on the albums. I don't really see why someone would use a digital emulation in the studio, when the actual gear is right there and it sounds much better.

I'm liking the sound they pulled on MAYH. I was very surprised to find out that it's a 5150, which is basically the amp I've been creaming over for the past few years - it basically sounds nothing like one. They are midrange monsters and more or less perfectly suited to Opeth in that sense.

Moonlapse said:
I think the guys would use pure amp and analogue pedal distortion on the albums. I don't really see why someone would use a digital emulation in the studio, when the actual gear is right there and it sounds much better...

I had heard that they use a lot of Laney and Mesa Boogie amps. Of course, not being able to aford a swath of high end amps, I have to live with my PODxt and a crappy Marshall 2 x 12. I can get pretty close with the PODxt, and may post to the line6 site a tone or two. What about the haunting never ending melody lines in some of the songs, an eBow or maybe a synth? I guess it doesn't hurt to only play through nice PRS's and Custom Shop Gibsons too...

Moonlapse said:
I think the guys would use pure amp and analogue pedal distortion on the albums. I don't really see why someone would use a digital emulation in the studio, when the actual gear is right there and it sounds much better.

I'm liking the sound they pulled on MAYH. I was very surprised to find out that it's a 5150, which is basically the amp I've been creaming over for the past few years - it basically sounds nothing like one. They are midrange monsters and more or less perfectly suited to Opeth in that sense.

lol i worked in a music shop for a good deal of last year and i sold a 5150. they sound like a dream...

You pretty much have a rhythm channel and if you set the gain low and turn the crunch switch off you get a "clean" sound. If I want a clean tone I use another amp, my 5150 is all about sonic death. :loco:

most amps have a sucky clean channel imo. the best clean-channels are found by class-A amps (obviously) and fender amps.
it's not like it is impossible to have both, a good distortion and a good clean-channel, but you only get it with really expensive amps...

Try the Crate XT120R 120W Can give you incredible distortion (only on the solo channel, the rhythm channel is kind of weak) and the Clean channel is superb. The clean channel can give you replicated sounds of like, TBYF solo to Benighted solo. Distortion sounds alot like Still Life distortion. Great great amp.