Opeth Headliner, what would you like to hear ?

Zemb

Jun 10, 2001
France
Visit site
Well it seems that Opeth may finally do some headliner shows (like for their upcoming European tour i hope). What would you like to hear/see during their gigs as headliner ?
More accoustics parts ? (well more songs is a sure thing), more old songs ? (Nectar, TNATSW...) some cool medleys ? as for the visual, i don't have any particular ideas as it's not my glass of beer

Maybe Black Rose Immortal as an encore!!!!?????? I'd really like to see em play Godhead's Lament aswell....

Still, I can only dream. That's assuming they do play the UK....

Black Rose Immortal would be real nice... and April Ethereal. I love that track, the slow prologue and then the build-up... ah, I gotta go listen to it.

"I will endure.. Hide away"

Change "Leper" for Bleak (the best track on BWP), "Drapery" for The Funeral Portrait, "Godhead" for Serenity Painted Death and, "Forest" for Apostle in Triumph - and you have my preferred setlist. Also, I'd like to include Credence, but as the list is rather long already, we need to leave that one for the encore... ;)

By the way, I hope they play something else (like Bleak) instead of White Cluster - of the bootleg-mp3's it is the only one that doesn't sound like it "works" very well live. It is a great closer track for an album, but as a live song (especially as a show-opener!), it looses a lot of its "aura", I think. Of course I have never been to an Opeth-concert, so I might be wrong.

-Villain

I based my list on the setlist from the Nevermore tour. I agree with some of your suggestions, and keepng in mind that they don't play acoustic guitar live, I should include more of the heavier songs. And I thought White Cluster was very good live, although definitely not easily translatable in concert.

I know every band needs its hits, but I don't recall the fans screaming for Serenity Painted Death in the concert video I saw.. mostly for Demon of the Fall, so regardless, that will get played. Most likely not at the end anymore, try to surprise them now and then. So I think Godhead's Lament, a great song (with a fantastic explosive beginning.. and powerful ending), would work well live. By exploring areas they don't always go into, like.. The Amen Corner, or When, would bring a different element to the setlist. Come to think of it, they didn't play much at all of MAYH - possibly because of the dual-guitar thing (not as prominent on MAYH.)

I would like to see, as I'm sure others would, an unplugged set. Play an acoustic version of To Bid You Farewell, and Credence, etc. It would show another side of their playing, and it would sound fantastic, I have no doubt.
:)

Think.. Opeth..UNPLUGGED ;)

Yeah, I think if Opeth got to headline it would go without saying that they'd have to pull the acoustics out and do Credence, maybe Harvest, and end the concert (appropriately) with To Bid You Farewell. And, again, in that headlining enviroment they'd be able to take breaks between songs to switch back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars, maybe do a little live jam or something in the middle of the show... play one of their covers, whatever.

Maybe a setlist something along the lines of:

The Leper Affinity (as it is tradition to start with track 1 of newest album)
Forest of October
Nectar
When
Serenity Painted Death
Bleak
(switch to acoustics)
Credence
Harvest
(a little break, maybe the jam here, then come back with)
Advent
Godhead's Lament
Under the Weeping Moon
The Amen Corner (and then straight into...)
Demon of the Fall
To Bid You Farewell

... and then Black Rose Immortal for history's greatest encore. Heh. It would be a long, long set, (a total of what... three hours?) but I don't care!

Lets see here.....

The Funeral Portrait
Godheads Lament
Forest of October
In Mist She Was Standing
Demon of the Fall
Credence
Advent
Bleak
When
To Bid You Farwell
The Apostle in Triumph
White Cluster
April Ethereal

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned The Night And The Silent Water, don't you think that it would be great at the end of the show, or just in the middle ?

My dream show (not neccesarily my fave tracks):

1)In the mist she was standing
2)April Ethereal
3)Serenity Painted Death
4)Face of Melinda--- my guitarist buddy "kinda" plays this. This is one song that would be stunning to me, live and fully instrumented.
5)The Night and the Silent Water
6)Bleak
7)Pattern in the Ivy (if keyboardist is present)
8)The Twilight is My Robe
9)Blackwater Park
10)Epilogue

*for the encore

a)Moonlapse Vertigo/ or Demon of the Fall

Hey a guy's got to dream, right?

Originally posted by Protocol
Black Rose Immortal would be real nice... and April Ethereal. I love that track, the slow prologue and then the build-up... ah, I gotta go listen to it.

"I will endure.. Hide away"
Oh Man! TOE-TA-LEE!!

I love that line..."I will outrun the scythe glaring with failure." But, a favorite set list. Heh! Talk about dreaming. Um...it'd be:

The Twilight Is My Robe (I think it’d be GREAT to hear this played first at a show)
Benighted
Moonlapse Vertigo
Prologue, April Ethereal, When, Madrigal :D (that’s all one in my book)
In The Mist She Was Standing
Bleak
The Night And The Silent Waters (still so daaaaaaaark)

Wow! Yeah...all that and a BIG OL’ ANCORE of Black Rose Immortal!!! I really don’t see this song ever being played at ANY concert though.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Yeah, I think if Opeth got to headline it would go without saying that they'd have to pull the acoustics out and do Credence, maybe Harvest, and end the concert (appropriately) with To Bid You Farewell. And, again, in that headlining enviroment they'd be able to take breaks between songs to switch back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars, maybe do a little live jam or something in the middle of the show... play one of their covers, whatever.

Maybe a setlist something along the lines of:

The Leper Affinity (as it is tradition to start with track 1 of newest album)
Forest of October
Nectar
When
Serenity Painted Death
Bleak
(switch to acoustics)
Credence
Harvest
(a little break, maybe the jam here, then come back with)
Advent
Godhead's Lament
Under the Weeping Moon
The Amen Corner (and then straight into...)
Demon of the Fall
To Bid You Farewell

... and then Black Rose Immortal for history's greatest encore. Heh. It would be a long, long set, (a total of what... three hours?) but I don't care!

Hey if Weezer can get up and give their fans 3 hours, Opeth can too.

In Mist She Was Standing
The Night and the Silent Water
Advent
The Moor
Forest of October
Under the Weeping Moon
Requiem
April Ethereal
Godhead's Lament
Bleak
Demon of the Fall
Blackwater Park
To Bid You Farewell
Black Rose Immortal

Even if that setlist was in another order, I don't care what anyone says. If BRI is on the list, there is absolutely no way to have a show without that song being last. That would be my dream setlist.

I would like them to play more than 1 hour, 1 hour and a half or maybe 2 hours would be good (more would maybe take some of the "magic" back)...
1 or 2 accoustics song would be great (To bid you farewell as an encore after BRI to close the show would be awesome).

I would love to hear:

Advent
The Night and the Silent Water
Nectar
Black Rose Immortal
To Bid You Farewell
-

And in that order of course :)