Opeth makes you better at math!

wwallinga said:
Well, I love Opeth - and I'm a high school math teacher! I actually use my knowledge of harder music to work with some of my less enthusiastic students.

For example: I have this kid now who always wears the black shirts and comes in with headphones blasting the latest group of his choosing. But, he can't do math. So I had him come in after school yesterday to go over the test he failed. Keep in mind that the whole time he's playing the part - one word answers, head down, no smiles, etc. - Depressed Youth of America.

So I go over the test with him, and he couldn't care less. As he's leaving, I'm trying to give him encouraging words - I say, "hey, what's your favorite Iron Maiden album?" Without hesitation, he says, "Number of the Beast." We spent the next 5 minutes discussing metal music. I told him I saw Maiden when I was 16 on the Fear of the Dark tour. Now he thinks I am a god and listens intently to every word I have to say in class.

I rule.

I would find it amusing if you were from NY.

I grew up in NY (upstate - not NYC - 400 miles from NYC) but now I live and teach in New Hampshire. I saw Opeth in Worcester, Mass in February.

From a structural level, Opeth's music is very complex and harmonious a lot of the time. They love to use octets, notes that are eight notes apart, or a whole ocatave, to rephrase that. They like to use many harmonious overtones, and even the growling is tonal, and fits in with the chords rather well. Extremely dissonant tones degrade your body's performance, whereas the opposite is true with harmonious music. (lol assonant) Studies have been made to show that music can make you feel certain emotions, and invoke certain images in your mind. It's all very interesting, and, well, you should look into it further if you're interested. I know I am :)

^ ha! finally someone stepped forward. thanks D1.

dorian = math minor in college

Sorry - you're wrong...

You replaced the i with a 1, because i^2 = -1 ??!!

You can't do that!

Rest assured, e raised to the i times pi power is indeed -1. Look it up.

wwallinga = Masters Degree in Mathematics

PS - Opeth rules! There, now this entry qualifies as pertaining to Opeth.