opeth my shovel and Inferno festival

Murk

Dec 13, 2002
Visit site
my opeth experience
well well , the dust has settled now and the morning has
risen. :hotjump: inferno festival brought to me my first live experience with opeth. i had prepared myself well for the show and was high beyond rocketman. Opeth means a great lot to me and works very often as my shovel. when the world is dark, gloomy and you only want to dig yourself down and reflect upon feelings and events , opeth is the perfect tool , a shovel. its a beautiful thing wich makes you able to retract into some calm place , reflecting upon , facing feelings and forgetting the turbulent jet set hip trend fuckheadworld outside.

so i armed myself with a device of mind expanding qualities thats worthy opeth`s intense emotional music. waking up to a bright sunny day, breakfast on the lawn with my cat. arrived at inferno to see sirenia. met up with some friends and took a stroll around the area. bought a lighter, saw some of red harvest and headed for a secluded space in the warm april air. went back after the rather strong rocket fuel gave me the dreamy gaze and observation abilities o_O
stood in and waited in anticipation watching the crew fix and trix. the opeth logo rises, people salutes it. a colourfull dreamy light is directed towards the logo so that it gets a shimmering effect. strange song in the background.Lopez enters and fix his drums , smoking a huge cigar or maybe a mind expanding vessel. standing quite close to the stage.the band tests their equipment , then go off the stage.some strange music reminding of psycedelic 70 starts to play in the background. the mystical half humans enter the stage ......mikael says "howdy". "godhead`s lament" explodes into sound wawes and the beauty reach my detail sensitive ear. i start to get funny ideas about the opeth logo and it would have looked damn good in the word Opium as well.the snirkling lines and beautiful patterns. mikael`s live vocal sounded great. the audience disappears. there is only me, the music and the band. "advent" starts off with the well known intro. in the song it sounded as if they had changed a part of it , playing some new acustic bit, like the had designed it specially for today. this may well be the effect of the star wessel but if anyone else heard it , pleace notice me. anyway , i wonder at the strange hypnotic, acustic, mystical melodies of opeth and await the rush of energy from the heavy parts. Mikael says something about " ny skiva , damnation ... double release .... deliverance" and "deliverance" goes off. next song is "the drapery falls".I am astonished by their thecnical skills and that Mikael is able to play those riffs and at the same time sing." a fair judgement" sounds great. Mikael turns to Lopez and makes him hit the drums with a more "heavy sound" in the outro. nods approvingly. Deamon of the fall concludes the show in an intense brutal emotional way. they thank the audience and leave :erk:. They promise to come back. no extra song is played because its a festival and they were not the head liners ( though they should have been)
the effect of o_O leaves you in a totally different position of analyzing, observing and feeling the beauty/ details than the thing normally consumed(wich leaves everything in a foggy swamp if you have enough).
anyway , thanx for a grat show ! hope you`ll come back soon for the acustic tour. Bring Porcupine tree with you.

cheers :wave:

of course opeth can be just as good without anything exstra.a sunset can be just as good without anything exstra, opeth arrives less frequently than a sunset and since it was my first live show with them i decided to add something.
next time maybe I`ll drop the exstra.