Opeth now is business!

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
I love Opeth but all that thing concerning the new dvd and probably a live album is making me sick.

dude, I'm not bored 'cause Opeth now is "famous". I'm upset due to the dvd set list (they can't play old material) and how passively Opeth accept these terms.

the set list thing for the dvd is because of legal red tape
i mean obviously they play their old shit when it's not going to be released on dvd
it sucks, but there is a legitimate reason i suppose

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
I know guys it's a little bit wierd this.
Reason is publishing rights...we have, I don't know 3 different publishers so it's gonna be a problem....I don't know exactly why really. We're only allowed to play songs from our MFN catalogue.
Thing is that Shepards bush is not a super excusive gig, other than it's set up for the DVD. We'll be on tour for "Damnation" playting only soft songs but for that show we'll pull out a few heavy numbers as it's "a night of Deliverance and Damnation". Basically it's done to promote the albums, not some night of ol' favourites. I totally understand what you mean and I do agree it's a little fukked up. The company have been on our backs for a DVD for a long time, but I reckon the real reason for this DVD is promotion.

Cheers
Mike

Ectoplasma said:
dude, I'm not bored 'cause Opeth now is "famous". I'm upset due to the dvd set list (they can't play old material) and how passively Opeth accept these terms.
obviously you don't know or understand the details of Opeth's contracts with the specific labels/parties involved. nor should you bother to. Just shut up and stop creating stupid threads.

Ectoplasma said:
dudes, you didn't figure out the point here...

Man, there is no point. Obviously you've been missing all of the 237 threads about this subject. Everything has already been discussed. Everybody's fine with the setlist, because everyone knows the reasons behind it. So please do your homework before posting these stupid threads.

Ectoplasma said:
dudes, you didn't figure out the point here...
the point here is that every band you listen to must agree to terms that the record label sets. poor artists are never in a bargaining position, especially a band like Opeth.

Now that you have seen the point here, you probably should go kill yourself because now you have realized that each and every one of your favorite bands are "sell-outs."

KielbasaSausage said:
the point here is that every band you listen to must agree to terms that the record label sets. poor artists are never in a bargaining position, especially a band like Opeth.

Now that you have seen the point here, you probably should go kill yourself because now you have realized that each and every one of your favorite bands are "sell-outs."

you are a sad person.

I'm not sad at all that I can have them live for me in a DVD... and I wouldn't mind having them live in a double CD either... and I wouldn't mind a next kick-ass album... and I wouldn't mind them playing exclusively for me for my birthday... (well, this I suppose is a bit too expensive for my pockets!)