Opeth now is business!

Sigh...the band will be very upset over this thread. Thanks to you Mikael is going to have a lot of trouble sleeping, you know how worked up he gets over this board.

Thanks a lot, way to take the bands feelings into consideration.

Ectoplasma said:
I love Opeth but all that thing concerning the new dvd and probably a live album is making me sick.

Idiot.

Oh and also, obviously Opeth is business. Opeth are Professional musicians. It's what they do for a living. It's how they earn money to eat food and survive.

And I don't know about you but an Opeth Dvd isn't exactly the worst thing that could happen to a fan.

People should learn the difference between a record label, a record company and a publisher, these kind of threads really get boring. Do a search on this subject and you can read Akerfeldts own opinion on this. Incidentally, I was there for the filming and seeing myself screaming 'fuck yeah' during drapery falls pretty much owns. The dvd is great.

Rejvk said:
Idiot.

Oh and also, obviously Opeth is business. Opeth are Professional musicians. It's what they do for a living. It's how they earn money to eat food and survive.

And I don't know about you but an Opeth Dvd isn't exactly the worst thing that could happen to a fan.

exactly

remember kids, a band can still be good and not be working two other jobs or on welfare, being a musician can earn you money! and sometimes, you can produce some quality music in the process of earning your paycheck

Rejvk said:
Idiot.

well, if the DVD sucks then it is a bad thing to happen to a fan.

Caelum Adustum said:
No band sells out until they use cheap tricks to rake in fans and their money. I don't see Opeth having naked women on their album covers or in their videos(*cough* dimmu borgir *cough*). I think I even read an interview with Mikael and he said he didn't like how bands do that. I have no problem with a band becoming successful as long as the success is based on them having excellent music...in which case Opeth obviously does.

Until Opeth cut their hair and start making cheesy simple 3 minute song albums and use visual ploys to rake in cash they will have my respect.

i ag
besides, they did somewhere around 100 shows in the past year, i think more than that.. now that's dedication to their fans... also, i heard that they were only in contract to cut 1 album when they were recording for deliverence and damnation, but cut 2 albums for the pay of 1... if that's true, than that's some dedication to the music and the fans

Some of their material (i.e. all of the material I most enjoy) isn't allowed: Bad

Opeth's relatively passive attitude: Bad

Opeth are getting more recognition: Good

There's another DVD of a band I like: Good

On a random/semirelated note, Tool are incredibly lucky to have complete creative control over their music (since the beginning they've had their own record label I believe!). It must be absolutely awsome to be in that position.