opeth on century media?

I have a feeling they'll end up on Warner/Atlantic. Don't forget that MFN was basically a subsidiary of a major label anyway (Zomba) so signing for a large indie like Century Media, Nuclear Blast or even (blargh) Roadrunner might not be a step forward for the band, at best a step sideways. Of course, it's all down to the terms of the contract, the label's distribution network, it's ability & willingness to market & promote the band, etc.

However, I'm sure Mike and the guys don't give two shits. As long as Northern Music get back to them and say 'right, you're signed again, we've got the big fat advance cheques in the band bank account, go book a studio and get that next album done. Kthx.'

Earache is a definite possibility, not only because the relationship (I am assuming still a good one) is already established with Lee Barrett who I believe is still residing there.

Century Media is also a definite possibility as they have been picking up a few new signings over the last year or so (Napalm Death, The Haunted, etc.). There is always the connection with Bloodbath and CM, so the lines of communication will still be there.

I am sure that Nuclear Blast have a bid in, whatever you may think of them they are a huge force in Europe. How are they in the States?

Are most of the people suggesting Relapse american? I know that the US is a major market to break, not sure that they actually do too much in Europe for bands.

On a personal level, I hope it is not a major (Sony, Virgin, etc.) as that would unfortunately change the fanbase.

I have just been talking to a friend at Metal Blade and I gather that they are not in the bidding war.

He says that from what he knows, labels are outbidding each other at every turn and that there are ridiculous amounts of money involved.

Has to be good news for Mikael and the boys. Hopefully whoever it is, they will give them the budget they deserve to provide us with what we want...

AlexGuinness said:
Has to be good news for Mikael and the boys. Hopefully whoever it is, they will give them the budget they deserve to provide us with what we want...

Okey, this might sound pretty ironic since I was bitching to get 'parcially' what I want with the Bloodbath dvd and 'The Almighty' playing with the Undead at Wacken (please, try to consider that I was only bitching and having fun). BUT, it's not about what we want, they need to feel free to compose and do whatever they want, even if the rest of the mortals don't like it.
Ok, at least that's what I think, besides my irony.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

See, I vote Relapse because they've got a great reputation, whereas the band are probably weighing up a hell of a lot more pros and cons about each label. So all up, they could end up on a major or roadrunner or nuclear blast just from the sort of offer they get, regardless of that label's rep.