Opeth and their label

{-sapob-}

Dec 17, 2008
We all know of Roadrunner Records and what their reputation is.
But do you think they've had an impact on the last 2 releases, and do you think there is another label out there for opeth that they would benefit from?

The only plus that i can see from Roadrunner, is their promo and distribution.
they are masters at that.

I don't think they have that much of an impact on Opeth. Opeth is already a well established act, so the record company will trust the band more with what they want to do. Opeth was a good pickup for Roadrunner, Opeth already had 7 very successful albums and a loyal fanbase; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think the only thing Roadrunner had a big say in were the album singles and videos. I mean Porcelain Heart? Really? Then followed by Burden. I would've loved to see Lotus Eater or Heir Apparent to get the single treatment over those two tracks, but I guess Roadrunner saw those two tracks as the "safest" for mainstream consumption, even though Opeth doesn't get radioplay anyway (at least not where I live).

Hey good point,
Lotus Eater would have been perfect for a single.
except they probably would have shortened the length and people would have missed out on a true Opeth sound.

Ironically the only Opeth song I've ever heard played on the radio is Deliverance in it's full glory.

Which is exactly what happened with Porcelain Heart and Burden anyway :loco:

Yeh, but if they were compared to the shortened version of lotus eater thats around, they arent missing all that much.

i think the lotus eater edit version ends just before the keyboard funky part, and thats a vital piece of the song imo.

I wish for a band like Opeth, that already has a strong fanbase, the record label would just leave them alone. I know its really not plausible, but lets say Roadrunner gave Opeth full control over what they wanted to do within the normal record label duties. We could have had a Lotus Eater single, maybe on a limited edition vinyl pressing (what ever happened with the Burden vinyl by the way...), we might have better music videos because the band would be making them on songs they wanted to, rather than the label.

If i was in a band that had a pretty good fanbase, and had a fair few successes i would, start my own label and release them on that.
It would mean total control, and you would potentially have something for the "rainy seasons" iyswicf.

Yeah, that would be ideal, but the main function of a record label is bank. So unless you hit it huge and had the money that you didn't need a record label to print and ship your music, fund your music videos, and go on tour, making your own label would be tough.

I mean, the only band that I can think of that have made a successful label for themselves is Converge. Even Nine Inch Nails put out their first 2 records free from a record label digitally at first, then put out limited copies of The Slip and haven't made a music video since. Trent just has the money and passion to make it work though. Most bands are comfortable with making a living off making music if they have to be confined to a record label.

I don't really care about the singles or videos or any of that nonsense. Roadrunner's a business and acts accordingly, and that's fine. All I care about is Opeth being honest on record. As long as their vision isn't compromised, I couldn't care less about the decisions on the business end.

I'm just grateful that Opeth were established enough when they signed with Roadrunner and as a result their music hasn't been affected. Quite a few established bands have done so as well since Opeth seemed to make it work (Porcupine Tree, Dream Theatre, etc.) so it obviously doesn't look like the worse move a band in such a postion could make.