Opeth on the Operating Table

MixGrafix

Dulce Et Decorum Est
Tomorrow morning I am going in for back surgery, and during my pre-op consult, they told me I can listen to a flash based ipod to listen when I am under anesthesia.

Any musical suggestions or playlists that my fellow Opethians may recommend while I am under the knife?

Mix

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

Off course ! :)

I was actually listening to this during the Novocaine injection of my last dentist appointment. I laughed a little when I realized the irony.

I would just go with Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse from start to finish. Maybe both, if time permits.

Any musical suggestions or playlists that my fellow Opethians may recommend while I am under the knife?

You weren't expecting to get some serious suggestions on that question, or were you?

Ok, here's one: If I wanted to listen to some music which could make me forget completely about where I am and what is happening around me, I'ld choose The Ambush (which is an obscure german Techno/Trance/Ambient project). But I think there's some probability that you won't like this. Another one could be some Miles Davis recordings, either the Bitches Brew sessions, or his recordings with the second great quintett. Not exactly hypnotic, but definitely requiring concentration. Next, I could do with Kangaroo Moon (some ethno/hippie/irish folk outfit) or Rabih Abouh Khalil (a Munich-based Lebanese doing some jazzy arabic stuff).

As you can see, in such a situation I prolly wouldn't chose any metal music. If I were to chose metal Opeth would be the best choice for me, then perhaps Nevermore or Skyclad. But that's about it.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Seriously, though, Mix, what are you looking for? To stay calm? Go for Bach or Vivaldi or something.