Opeth San Francisco

pac1288

El Jefe
Dec 1, 2001
California
Visit site
Hello just got back from watching Opeth at San Francisco( well kind of) and what can I say it was fucking incredible to say the least, it was kind of a pain finding the place but sure enough we managed. This was my first time ever going to The Fillmore and personally I thought it was quite nice and pleasant with a real nice atmosphere but damn the beer there is expensive I mean I don't mind paying 3.50 or whatever for a beer but 5.00 bucks for a regular budweiser? Thats just too much but I bought them anyways just because I had no choice really.(I guess thats why there so pricey eh)

The place was full as I had expected(well at least for Opeth) but I'm not sure if it sold out or not I think it did though because when I arrived there were several people asking for tickets so I'm assuming it did.

The pit there was intersting and it was pretty active the whole time not so much for Moonspell as it was for the remaining bands, but it was fun to be a part of, I just couldn't help myself I got hit a few times but really wasn't that bad, survived of course haha.

Anyway here's a brief review of the following bands:

Moonspell: To be totally honest I didn't really care for them too much they had there moments but overall they just dragged too much for my tastes I was almost kind of bored through-out there set but it was nice drinking beer while they were playing.

Devildriver: These guys were decent I guess, more energetic than Moonspell but not my cup of tea.

Opeth: I'm not going to comment to much about them because you guys already know, but to make a long story short they were simply amazing I really enjoyed watching them. The Moor, April Ethereal, and Blackwater Park were all really nice to watch live they were almost like a treat haha, all I know is that I'm anxious to watch them again.

Well there you have it folks for all of you that went to this show I hope you enjoyed it just like I did, don't hesitate to mention your personal experience!

:Spin:

Ok I'm gonna write a review of the show here, cuz I don't realy see the point in starting another thread on the same topic:

Well first for the negatives, aka the opening acts. Moonspell came on first and they were pretty lame. They were sort of predictible gothic/death metal. I saw everything that was coming from a mile away. They did have a few nice moments, most of which were keyboard led, and they had a good riff here and there, but all in all it wasn't too good.

Next was Devildriver. Now I had heard bad things about these guys and that a lot of people planned on booing them and stuff. Well I was all against that, but wow no one made it clear just how bad these guys were. The band makes Disturbed look like gueniuses (ok maybe thats going to far) and the vocalist has to be THE most annoying front man I've ever seen. The whole time he just made dumb comments in between songs, most of which contained the word "fuck" at least three or four times. As for their music it was streight forward mindless aggression, real bad shit. Anyways I was board to death with them, but a lot of people seemed to be feeling it. The most interesting thing about them was the way they dressed. They all looked like they were from different bands or something, one guy was real punk rock, another guy looked real death metal, then the lead singer was just white trash, and they had the token bald nu metal guy.

Ok now on to what mattered, Opeth. I moved right up front for these guys, I only had one person in front of me most of the time who was like 5'4 (im 5'7 so in other words I had a great view). Before hand I small talked with some people about Opeth, you know the standerd stuff favorite album, previous concerts, Martin's health and so on. Then the lights went out, I realy hadn't got to excited for this show before hand but at that moment I realized I was about to see my favorite band hit the stage. The adrenaline just started buliding up. The set list was Masters Apprentice, The Drapery Falls, The Moor, Window Pane, In My Time of Need, April Eartheal, Deliverance, Blackwater Park and of course Demon of the Fall as an encoure. I was so stoked they finally played The Moor, which is my favorite Opeth song, well one of my favorite songs peroid. Some parts sort of lost a bit of their touch, sence they only had two guitars as opposed to like four hundered on the album. Nevertheless it was awesome, especially the soft middle section, abousolutly put me into a lull. In My Time of Need sounded awesome, especailly with the piano parts added in. Sadly Mikael seemed to be under the impression that a lot of people don't like the softer stuff, but it seemed most people realy enjoyed. During the start of Deliverance was the first time the pits realy exploded, people came rushing forward and some very light and respectable body bashing ensued, it was very fun and was a great release. The song was just so amazing, I mean just the way it switches back and forth from heavy and soft, it just keeps giving you chances to chatch your breath and go into a lull before the next explosion of chaos. Black Water Park was extreemly good live and that riff orgy at the end was just so fun to watch them play. The encore of Demon of the Fall was phenominal. It was like one final chance to get any last bit of agression out before returning to the real world, and everyone seemed to do just that. Well Opeth is just such a great band to see live, just the amount of different emotions I was able to set free at the concert was amazing.

Well I have to say that Opeth has improved a lot sece I saw them a year ago at the Pound (not that that wasnt a great show too). The sound seemed a lot cleaner this time and everything was very much easier to hear. The bass was at a good high level, which is awesome sence Martin has evolved into such a great bassist. Mikael has become much more of a front man then he used to be, with lots and lots of banter, much of which was fairly funny (I especially liked the part about worshiping Satan before DotF). Ok complaints, I have very few, I mean the set list was damn near ideal, though it hurts that nothing was played off the first two albums, I mean come on at least one song! And I don't think it would of hurt to add one more Damnation song into the middle of the set (To Rid the Disease would have been very nice). But truth be told it was as close to an ideal set as I could of asked for. Ok now for my main complain, next time you come get some good opening acts! So far I've seen Tapping the Vien (aka the gothic No Doubt), Paradise Lost (god does everything they do sound the same?) and then these two horrible acts last night. Well of course they did have Porcupine Tree, wich is awesome, but of course that would be the one tour I missed, right? Ok but seriously its time to get some bands you know your fans would like a bit more and I dont care if its some creative black metal, melodic death, or whatever but something a little more progressive or creative, I think Agalloch would be the ideal opener (and they are great live) but thats just me. But come on, thats enough b-rated openers.

All in all I had a great time. I ache like hell right now (bending my head down doesnt feel too good, after all that head banging), but I feel great cuz with my dog dying recently I had a lot of stuff I had to get out of me, and the Opeth concert realy helped out. Thank you so much for continuing to make such amaizng music and touring so much. Thanks for sharing your gift with the world. It means a lot to me, and Im sure to many more people out there.

pac1288 said:
I was in the pit most of the time. I was the mexican guy wearing a black shirt with a grey sweater.
Do you have a piercing through your lip? There was a meican guy dressed like that next to me (possibly you) who was getting realy pumped before the show started, I was totally feeding off of him and started to get real into it. I dont know if it was you or not...

crimsonfloyd said:
Do you have a piercing through your lip? There was a meican guy dressed like that next to me (possibly you) who was getting realy pumped before the show started, I was totally feeding off of him and started to get real into it. I dont know if it was you or not...

Actually no I don't have piercing through my lip, I did have my hair combed back though if that helps at all.

Speaking of which did any of you see that somewhat tall heavy-set guy in the pit? I thought it was kind of hilarious how everbody was ping-ponging off of him that dude was almost impossible to move I made several attempts but to no avail.

This dude there also totally fucked up my thigh(forgot to mention) It wasn't to bad when it occured but when I awakened this morning I couldn't even walk on it and I still can't oh well though it was worth it haha.

I was mainly in the pit I was thinking about going up front but now I have like this phobia (which I know is only temporary) due to a experience that I had at the pound last year when Opeth played.

I was al the way in the front and as soon as Opeth came on everyone started to move up front and it got really compressed to the point where I couldn't even breath and the worst part was that I couldn't even move out of there, luckily I was able to after numerous atempts.

Apparently it wasn't like that at The Fillmore last night which I'm was a good thing. Although I did try moving moving up front after Demon Of The fall but it was unsuccessful haha.

Fucking amazing. Those are the only two words that can describe that concert. I was going into the concert expecting the best from opeth but what I got was BETTER than the best. That concert was easily the best concert i've ever been to and i just can't wait to go back. I did happen to see squeak but I couldn't even say hi or anything during the concert since I was about three rows from the front and after the concert she was no where to be found. I just can't thank Lopez enough for coming back and making that night the best in my life. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Crimson: you've seen agalloch play live :OMG: how did you get to see them? do they have a web site or something where I can see where they are playing?

Also that sounded like an awsome show except for the opening bands. I'm going to see them tomarrow the 2nd and I can't wait to see blackwater park and the Moor 2 of my very favorite songs. Can't wait to see them

Opth_001 said:
Crimson: you've seen agalloch play live :OMG: how did you get to see them? do they have a web site or something where I can see where they are playing?

Also that sounded like an awsome show except for the opening bands. I'm going to see them tomarrow the 2nd and I can't wait to see blackwater park and the Moor 2 of my very favorite songs. Can't wait to see them
They played at a small bar in San Francisco. They did like a five or six show west coast tour with Antimatter and Virgin Black, unfortunatly I had to leave before VB (had to catch the last train home to Berkeley). However Agalloch was amazing live, and it was only thier 3rd live show ever! Imagine if they got to do a real tour with Opeth, they would improve vastly...

crimsonfloyd said:
They played at a small bar in San Francisco. They did like a five or six show west coast tour with Antimatter and Virgin Black, unfortunatly I had to leave before VB (had to catch the last train home to Berkeley). However Agalloch was amazing live, and it was only thier 3rd live show ever! Imagine if they got to do a real tour with Opeth, they would improve vastly...

Yeah that would be awsome I'd definatly buy those tickets. I wish they had some kinda web site or something so people would know if they are coming out with a new album or anything. Well beggers can't be choosy.

@InFlames - arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I stayed to the left (by Peter) after the first three songs. Then I went out and sat by the bus afterward for about 30-40 minutes or so. I didn't see ANYONE from the forum at that gig, except the people I already knew in real life. Doh. Hopefully next time!

The openers were only mildly amusing but opeth rocked
I was up in the front just right of mikael banging my head with my eyes closed the whole show

:headbang: I was there and yeah it was a great show by Opeth for sure, they are getting better and better each time I have seen them, that was my 4th, second at the Fillmore which is a great place to see and hear a concert. Blackwater Park,The Drapery Falls, Deliverence and Demon of the Fall was badassssssss!!!! I can't wait to get the DVD.

Oh and while Devil Driver wasn't baddddd as in suck the suck out of suck bad, they were just to samey, most song were totally the same beat and same riffs, they belong on the Ozzfest tour.

Bear