opeth should get a different producer

well yes, his production on the 3 albums he's done, especially bwp is phenominal,but i dont like his influence on the music, it seems like he's taking away from there swedish folk influnce and replacing it with a more jazzy based music, which takes away from alot of the atmosphere which i love about opeth.

for me D&D totally lack any atmosphere whatsoever.

Good thread. I agree that we've had enough Steve Wilson now; while I like the two 'D' albums, it is time to move on and explore new soundscapes with new persons.

LuminousAether said:
I think Opeth needs to go a bit more raw, and get some more jazzy loud bass. I also think they need to experiment with their formulas. For instance, how about having acoustic parts with growls, jazz breakdowns, or some Enslaved-esque complex riff patterns.

If Opeth sounded like you describe I'd never buy another album of theirs.
Acoustic parts with growls would sound silly, jazz is fucking shite IMO(if you want to hear jazz listen to a jazz band?) and the riffs are complex enough - any more complex and they'd lose their memorability.
Opeth are primarily a METAL band with various other influences - you seem to want a jazz band with metal influences.
I dont know why you even post here since Opeth just disappoint you these days. Well I hope they continue to disappoint you because if the day comes when you love a new Opeth album, I'll undoubtedly hate it.

BTW I see you like Coleridge, just wondering if you'd heard the Maiden song "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" which is based on a Coleridge poem (I know you dont like Maiden just wonder what you think of the song)?

Although Deliverance and BWP are my favourite albums (at the moment) I think maybe they should switch producer - simply to keep things fresh. Look whats happened with Metallica and Bob Fucking Rock - they get worse with every album thanks to that dick. And I'm not too keen on bands producing themselves - theres no quality control because they cant see their faults whereas an outsider can. I've no idea who they should use though! Mutt Lange maybe! :lol:

Morgour said:
for their next album, steven wilson is having to much influence for my liking.

Based on an interview I read (and posted) with Mikael a while back, I just hope there is a next Opeth album.

i disagree. he only has as much influence as akerfeldt allows. he production however is magnificent. the trash production that has plagued opeth is gone. first 2 sounded awful. mayh sounds alright but the balance is shot. we all know of the problems with still life.

I've heard bands do acoustic with growls / screams and it sounds sweet. And if you think jazz and metal can't mix, listen to the new Ephel Duath. In fact, I wish Opeth would make a transformation like Ephel Duath did, that would rule.

And complexity in riffs don't make music unmemorable. Listen to Enslaved's newest Below the Lights and then you'll know what I'm talking about. Those riffs fucking kick ass.

As for who should produce Opeth: I suggest they need someone to produce it a bit more raw, maybe the guy from Today is the Day who produced Lamb of God's New American Gospel, as that production was awesome. Other possible producers:
Neil Kernon (November's Doom - To Welcome the Fade, it had similarities to Opeth at times, but was more impressive than any Opeth album since My Arms, Your Hearse)

What would absolutely rule is if Opeth released a more rough, raw, and natural sounding release. Maybe a similar production to Agalloch - Pale Folklore.

Bleak Eyes said:
I think, if anything, that Opeth has had more of an influence on Steven Wilson. Just listen to the heavy riffs in Porcupine Tree's song Blackest Eyes. It's too Opeth not to think there's not an obvious influence there. I love Steven Wilson. I think his backing vocals kick ass and he even wrote little things on The Drapery Falls.

I second that. :)

Also, we know that Damnation and Deliverance weren't as good as the previous five and that is because they only had 6 weeks to record both of them. They did two albums in the amount of time that it takes to record one. I am surprised that they are as good as they are. Mikael and the band will never be doing this again. According to Mikael, there will never be another soft album like Damnation. :D

I don't want to see Steve Wilson go. :(

I think that he has had an over-all good influence on the band. I think that people want a new producer only because Damnation was too soft. If Opeth hadn't released that album then I think that people wouldn't be questioning Steve's influence on Mikael. I know for a fact that Blackwater Park is one of their best and universely accepted albums. Check out that post/poll made a few days ago about Opeth's best album. It's pretty much even between MAYH, BWP, MR, and SL. Deliverance definately was not a bad album, it is just not as good as the others. It is the most heavy and was the most experimental when it was first released.

I wouldn't mind seeing Opeth being co-produced by Steve and another person... But I don't see Opeth existing without Steve's influence. It amazes me that a new drummer and bassest was recruited and BWP was ever released. I think that Steve has influenced Mikael to keep the band going. :-/

I think they should keep him as producer, but only if they can get rid of his influence. I loved what he did with Opeth on BWP and even D&D (to a point), but I want Opeth to evolve further.

Hopefully with the new black metal album they'll produce everything themselves in an effort to make the album more "cult" and thusly grim and necro. :headbang:

Morgour said:
for their next album, steven wilson is having to much influence for my liking.

Though I think Steve is a very talented guy and I really enjoy Porcupine Tree, I would agree, it's time for a change. I would like them to bring someone knew in. Steve is becoming the 5th Opethian, and I don't think that's a good thing.

GZ

I'd like to see them work with Devin Townsend because...

He's my favorite artist
He's a flawless producer
He's a huge fan of Opeth (he wants one of his next few albums to be in the vein of BWP)

i would say that its time to find someone other than fredrik nordstrom. he definetly has a huge influence on the sound. compare my arms your hearse, with its dense and layered guitars to the bare dan swano sound of morningrise. it sounds pretty, but perhaps next time a less layered sound. heck, pytten is still running greighallen.

as far as steven wilson goes, he's run his course with opeth. if opeth wants to do a 180 from the last release, then they will have no need for the man that produces the clean vocals to keep things mellow. besides, i prefer the vocal harmonies that mike did himself rather than the bare vocal lines of wilson.

I have every Porcupine Tree and every No-Man album and I love every one, but I would have to say Stupid Dream is the least interesting of Steven's music although it is still a great album.
Steven Wilson is an excellent musician and Opeth are too. Both Opeth and Steven seem to enjoy working with each other, so who cares as long as Opeth is pumping out good music. I will admit that Deliverence isn't my favorite, but it is definitaly not because of the production on Steven's part.
I.E.M./Arcadia Son = Very weird and very cool